No announcement yet.

Experience Conquers Youth As Maidana Stops Ortiz In Six

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Underdoggg View Post
    Why do people on here say it was his corner's fault for threatening to stop the fight? Look at Ortiz, he was pretty much dead on the stool. He couldn't even answer a simple question, he could not react at all. His corner was just trying to protect him. They told him they'd stop the fight because he wasn't picking up his hands. What's the point on letting him continue if they know he's going to step in without defense? The kid DOES have heart, he got up and went into the sixth knowing he was hurt and subconsciously knew he wouldn't win anymore. It takes balls to get up and continue knowing he would eat a few more of those tremendous right hands. I'd like to see one of ya'll s h i t talkers have a big cut on your right eye and a badly swollen left eye and still step in for one more round with a guy who hits with lethal force like Maidana. Both fighters earned their respect in this fight.
    Who is **** talking? I'm not belittling Ortiz for quitting, but, as I said in my previous post, it sure seemed to me that his confidence was sucked away when his corner threatened to stop the fight. I think Ortiz has a real fighter's instinct and heart, so I was surprised to see him cave in so suddenly. I suppose that this sounds as though I didn't see and/or appreciate the big right hands that Maidana was landing. Not at all. As I said, Maidana was clearly surging going into the last round. It just seemed to me that, by threatening to stop the fight, Ortiz's corner opened a door that he wasn't even aware was there.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
      Who is **** talking? I'm not belittling Ortiz for quitting, but, as I said in my previous post, it sure seemed to me that his confidence was sucked away when his corner threatened to stop the fight. I think Ortiz has a real fighter's instinct and heart, so I was surprised to see him cave in so suddenly. I suppose that this sounds as though I didn't see and/or appreciate the big right hands that Maidana was landing. Not at all. As I said, Maidana was clearly surging going into the last round. It just seemed to me that, by threatening to stop the fight, Ortiz's corner opened a door that he wasn't even aware was there.
      Yeah man, you do have a point. By telling him they'd stop the fight they did indirectly communicate that he was losing the fight so that could have lowered his confidence.

Comment

It was weird how sudden the fight turned. I saw Ortiz as vulnerable early on, but in the fourth round I saw a change where it looked like Maidana was slowing down. Then next thing I know Ortiz's eye is almost swollen shut and he was giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
          Yes. Based on the Arnoutis fight being stopped so quickly, I wasn't yet sure what to think of Ortiz, but as the fight progressed I kept thinking that HBO really should be putting some good promotional money behind this kid (instead of someone like boring-ass, zero personality Chad Dawson who will never have a signficant fight). This guy is a real crowd pleaser. I don't dismiss his actions and comments after the fight, but I think this guy clearly has the skills and fighter's instinct to rebound and do very well. He's exciting and young so there's no good reason to think he won't be back in the mix real soon. He said just about everything you're not supposed to say after a fight, but I think Ortiz has a lot of a fire in his belly. I'm sure the GBP mgmt will give him a stern talking too about how serious these fights are and about what kind of **** you just cannot say if you being promoted as the next badass mexican-american fighter from Oxnard. More than anything, I think most people were unsettled by what Ortiz said in the interview. He really did come across as a naive, almost sweet little kid.

Ortiz will probably need one or two safe comeback fights before stepping back up against serious competition. I think he has to redeem himself against Maidana, so it might as well be against him. Maidana would be a tough fight for most guys in the division, but, with a little more focus and more disciplined boxing, I can totally visualize Ortiz reversing the outcome in a rematch.
          Yeah, I'm reminded of every time Friday Night Fights is on, Teddy Atlas always says, "75% of this profession is mental." Vic is young and needs to focus.

What's crazy is that Ortiz was going for the KO. He was trying to do exactly what the fans want. But the night completely backfired in his face. With the skills and lead he had, he could have... ah never mind. (He needed to figure out that right hand that kept landing against him.)

Would love to see a rematch when the time is right. Boxing is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Everybody loves a winner. Vic is young. If he's learned a lesson, he still has plenty of time to win back fans... hopefully.

Comment

I'm upset I missed this fight, sounds like it was entertaining. Tough luck for Ortiz. This is a big step back for him. It's funny that before this fight, some thought he was the class of the division. I think it's pretty clear Ortiz has a long way to go before that's a reality.

Comment

nice bump...Ortiz Hype train baby !! great kid though.

Comment

Working...
              X