No announcement yet.

Wladimir Klitschko and Ruslan Chagaev Deserve a Hand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wladimir Klitschko and Ruslan Chagaev Deserve a Hand

By T.K. Stewart - I've shaken the thick, meaty hand of Ruslan Chagaev, so I hope I'm not at risk.

The American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians came out of nowhere yesterday and claimed that Chagaev should not be allowed to fight Wladimir Klitschko tomorrow night in Germany because he has tested positive for the Hepatitis B antigen. They say it may not even be safe to touch him.

The supposedly positive test was enough for officials last month in Finland to have called off Chagaev's WBA heavyweight title fight against Nikolai Valuev. The AAPRP is of the opinion that it is hazardous to your health to get within a few feet of Chagaev when he is engaged in gloved combat, lest you, too, become infected with Hepatitis B.

However, the medical uncertainties that surround Chagaev like throngs of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad protesters don't seem to bother the Germans official too much.

The fight, as they say, “Ist auf!” which translated for you unilingual readers means, “Is on!”

It will all go down Saturday in front of over 60,000 German spectators and for the first time in over half a decade the outcome will hopefully produce a mostly unified heavyweight champion that will hold the gaudy title belts of the IBF, WBA and WBO. [details]

Not that I really cared about this fight, but the WBA strap is now on the line as well?

Comment

they cant withdraw this fight, people already on their way to germany, so even if Chagaev would be half alive, they would make hime fight)

Comment

Lets do this. Wlad gets the last alphabet belt and the Ring belt.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
          Part of the last belt. Valuev still has the belt.

Comment

Valuev is the champ in my book. Chagaev beat him, yes, but would have been stripped long ago by any other sanctioning body for not defending. This, from the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians, just provides evidence Valuev was perfectly entitled not to go ahead with the Chagaev fight - now, it seems, what might even have served in Helsinki wouldn't pass muster in the US.

I don't see how 'half' the belt is transferable, as it is confusing terms. We don't have two fighters sharing a belt, we have two fighters both with an undecided claim as to who should have the belt. That can only be sorted by the WBA awarding it to one or the other, or the two fighting; as 'champion in recess' Chagaev can't put his 'half' (claim) on the line against a third fighter... he has to fight Valuev, or whoever beats him.

Sorry Wlad fans, but the WBA strap isn't up for grabs... he'll have to fight the big guy (or whoever beats him) for that. Or at least, if it is, the WBA will have lost whatever little credibility they have left.
            Last edited by The_Visitation; 06-19-2009, 02:06 AM.

Comment

M-m-m-m... IMO it won`t matter even if Wlad will grab the WBA strap... I think Don will make everythin possible to strip him off that belt, like he did to Lewis...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Visitation View Post
                Valuev is the champ in my book. Chagaev beat him, yes, but would have been stripped long ago by any other sanctioning body for not defending. This, from the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians, just provides evidence Valuev was perfectly entitled not to go ahead with the Chagaev fight - now, it seems, what might even have served in Helsinki wouldn't pass muster in the US.

I don't see how 'half' the belt is transferable, as it is confusing terms. We don't have two fighters sharing a belt, we have two fighters both with an undecided claim as to who should have the belt. That can only be sorted by the WBA awarding it to one or the other, or the two fighting; as 'champion in recess' Chagaev can't put his 'half' (claim) on the line against a third fighter... he has to fight Valuev, or whoever beats him.

Sorry Wlad fans, but the WBA strap isn't up for grabs... he'll have to fight the big guy (or whoever beats him) for that. Or at least, if it is, the WBA will have lost whatever little credibility they have left.

Who are you kidding, Chagaev already beat Valuev, Valuev probably should of lost on points to a 46yr old Holyfield. Valuev has no ****ing claim to the WBA strap. The only reason he has that farce of a title is Don King who owns the WBA, proof = Valuev and Ruiz who just don't seem to go the **** away

No doubt that the winner should be recognized as the Undisputed Heavyweight champ and yes, both men should be applauded for giving a **** about their fanbase and doing what fighters are supposed to do, fight

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                  And Hepatitis B along with it

Comment

Had Wlad been preparing for this fight all along, I think he wins a decision. I not entirely sure what to think right now. Stepping in on short notice is some times beneficial for he who is stepping in. In this case, I think it is beneficial for the challenger, Chagaev. I can never tell where Wlad is mentally. Pre-fight, he appears to be more focused than any one. During the fight, he will often fight timid. Chagaev has nothing to lose.

With that said, in order for Chagaev to beat Wlad in front of 60,000 drunk duetchemen, he'll have to beat him convincingly. A close decision goes to Wlad.

Comment

Working...
                    X