Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons why boxing is unfortunately not so popular in the U.S.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons why boxing is unfortunately not so popular in the U.S.

First of all I want to say that boxing is the 1 and only sport I watch and I study everything about it. It really sucks to see that today boxing isnt even a fraction of as popular in the mainstream as it used to be. Here are some reasons I think its not as popular here in America.

1. The Heavyweight division has not been good since the 90's. The heavyweight division has always been the biggest draw in boxing and now with the division having almost nobody and all the champs being from Europe really hurts it I beleive.

2. No more boxing on free TV. They have the Friday Night fights on ESPN but those are usually up and comers or past their prime fighters, there are no championship bouts or even big names that fight on regular TV. You must have HBO or Showtime which both cost more money on the bill so most people dont have them.

3. Not many American champions or top fighters anymore. This means nothing to me, I dont care where they come from as long as they are good and entertaining I will support them. But to the general public and with a sport like boxing that is such a country pride sport, with most of the top guys being from foregin I think that might hurt it a little.

4.The last thing I think is because of all the WBA,WBC,IBF,WBO champions. There are too many belts and champions and too much politics and its very hard to understand if you arent a devoted fan. Now there are so many pointless belts that seem to come up more every year. I think there should be only 1 champion in the division and I think that since there can techincally be 4 or even 5 now that can be called champions of the division really hurts it more than it helps it.

I am super disappointed that boxing is not very popluar here anymore, I only have 1 friend that likes boxing, eveyone else doesn't know what the hell I am talking about when I bring up the sport. I have wondered what the deal is today and after some thought this is what I came up with. Hopefully it changes, but regardless of how popular it is, I will always be watching it.

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
    First of all I want to say that boxing is the 1 and only sport I watch and I study everything about it. It really sucks to see that today boxing isnt even a fraction of as popular in the mainstream as it used to be. Here are some reasons I think its not as popular here in America.

1. The Heavyweight division has not been good since the 90's. The heavyweight division has always been the biggest draw in boxing and now with the division having almost nobody and all the champs being from Europe really hurts it I beleive.

2. No more boxing on free TV. They have the Friday Night fights on ESPN but those are usually up and comers or past their prime fighters, there are no championship bouts or even big names that fight on regular TV. You must have HBO or Showtime which both cost more money on the bill so most people dont have them.

3. Not many American champions or top fighters anymore. This means nothing to me, I dont care where they come from as long as they are good and entertaining I will support them. But to the general public and with a sport like boxing that is such a country pride sport, with most of the top guys being from foregin I think that might hurt it a little.

4.The last thing I think is because of all the WBA,WBC,IBF,WBO champions. There are too many belts and champions and too much politics and its very hard to understand if you arent a devoted fan. Now there are so many pointless belts that seem to come up more every year. I think there should be only 1 champion in the division and I think that since there can techincally be 4 or even 5 now that can be called champions of the division really hurts it more than it helps it.

I am super disappointed that boxing is not very popluar here anymore, I only have 1 friend that likes boxing, eveyone else doesn't know what the hell I am talking about when I bring up the sport. I have wondered what the deal is today and after some thought this is what I came up with. Hopefully it changes, but regardless of how popular it is, I will always be watching it.
    I know exactly what you mean.. It's sad. There are not enough real boxing fans. There are plenty of guys that like one or two fighters and don't know anything else about other fighters. Too many people are on MMA's nuts right now, too. MMA is officially mainstream. Boxing is looked at as the "old man" sport by younger guys. But whats funny to me is how many top MMA fighters use boxing strategy's to win the majority of there fights.

Comment

i agree 100% ts...good read too..

Comment

All agreeable reasons, but not enuf to 'kill' boxing like some dumbasses suggest. **** MMA. Boxing ain't goin nowhere no matter how many problems it has.

Comment

Yea there messing this sport up bad by making us pay all this money for Wack fights.

Comment

Good quality post and I agree.

Also thank you for not bringing up a stupid point like many belive that MMA takes away from Boxing, what people don't realize is that MMA takes away from WWE.

Comment

We need more black and white champions imo.

Comment

Originally posted by texanballer View Post
                We need more black and white champions imo.
                yeah, I think boxing in the u.s would benefit greatly, popularity wise if there was an elite white american boxer. Pavlik still has a chance but a lot of people abandoned him after he lost to Bernard

Comment

I agree with everything except '3'. Which I suppose is true in the context of US boxing, even so, but IMHO is more than beneficial enough to world boxing to make up for it. An American HW champion is needed, though, to raise the profile of the sport in the US again.

Of them all, I think PPV is actually the worst offender; it generates a lot of money short term but there is a long term price to pay. I remember when I was a kid, if you asked anyone (or anyone with any sort of interest in sport) if they had seen the 'big fight' on TV they would know who you were talking about, even if they hadn't watched. Today that isn't true, and if the parents don't watch, their kids won't watch and develop an interest. Then, where do the next generation of PPV buyers come from?

Comment

No one wants to become boxers. It's high risk and low reward. You look at the boxing greats, most have turned out bad. Louis Robinson Tyson Holyfeild Ali and so on. When kids see this they are turned off. Now compare to NBA or NFL. You got guys like Jordan who is retired yet is still cashing it in. Then you got guys like Lebron Kobe Howard and so on. They are getting paid million for playing a sport without risking their lives.

Also people would rather follow a team sport than a individual sport.

Boxing is falling off big time around the USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X