Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Champion do you prefer: JACK DEMPSEY OR GENE TUNNEY?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Many fans don't realize that except for the famous knockdown, Tunney won almost every round in their two fights.
    I remember seeing that, Tunney was pretty much a dancer type of boxer right?

Comment

Originally posted by raycorey View Post
      Jack dempsey for me,Tunney(Boxingscene poster) has really spoil the name of Gene Tunney for me..
      Raycorey, I always thought you loved me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Many fans don't realize that except for the famous knockdown, Tunney won almost every round in their two fights.
        I was trying to keep that out of the discussion at the moment because it will then lead to the debate of how past it Dempsey was given the long layoff and change in life-stlye.

The point of the thread was about something else.

But yes, eventually we would touch on it because Tunney was a Master Boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tek My Pounches View Post
          Muhammed Ali said he learned and used some techniques invented by Gene Tunney.

Tunney had a reputation of being a very innovative, clever fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tek My Pounches View Post
            He was a better boxer, if that's what you mean. Dempsey's style was later seen to be adopted and evolved in the likes of Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson.

Tunney was a smarter and far skilled individual. Slightly underrated if you ask me, especially when mentions of past heavyweight greats are brought up.

Comment

its the ideolical aspect that makes dempsey so famous,
              the idea that a hobo off the street, threw hard work,
              could become a champion, and beat the crap out of
              a 6'5 giant in 3 rounds. dempsey has a legiond,
              tunney does not.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                He was a better boxer, if that's what you mean. Dempsey's style was later seen to be adopted and evolved in the likes of Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson.

Tunney was a smarter and far skilled individual. Slightly underrated if you ask me, especially when mentions of past heavyweight greats are brought up.
                I know he has was a better boxer since Dempsey was a one dimensional brawler, but I specifically remember seeing some documentary that spoke on his dancing like movement.

Originally posted by ~Tunney View Post

Thanks, good to know.

Comment

Did he say that?

I thought he just had respect for him but that was about it. He gave Tunney credit for being a "Scientific" fighter before himself.

Tunney wasn't the first though. Even farther back there were other fighters. Johnson was said to have learned from Joe Choynski who was a smart fighter. Another Smart fighter ahead of his time was said to be James J. Corbett.
                  But these are the modern day fighters since if we go way back to Ancient Greece, if you read some stories about their fighters, they had some clever ones as well.
                  There's a list of clever boxers before Ali actually.

Comment

Raycorey, I always thought you loved me.

lol, sorry i had to use that one, Couldnt resist...

Comment

Originally posted by portuge puncher View Post
                      its the ideolical aspect that makes dempsey so famous,
                      the idea that a hobo off the street, threw hard work,
                      could become a champion, and beat the crap out of
                      a 6'5 giant in 3 rounds. dempsey has a legiond,
                      tunney does not.
                      Tunney was a legend in less "politically correct" times...

He was known as "The Fighting Marine" - he missed part of his early career going to fight in WW I. His record was in itself legendary, losing only once to an ATG and avenging the loss three times.
                      Last edited by The Hammer; 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X