Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else believe that Rocky Marciano's record was not exactly "so special"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gift Of Gab View Post
    Rocky would actually be considred a CW by today's standards.

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Rocky that way. No disrespect to him, but his fanboys make him out to be some sort of invincible demigod.
    That's what pisses me off about it.

They pick him to annihilate guys like Liston or Frazier (I've seen this done), based on what? The fact that he was never defeated?

****, Liston and Frazier may have losses, but they also faced some of the toughest fighters of their era and came out with very respectable records against them.

I'll take that over almost being stopped by Ted Lowry (62-56-10) any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by larrysmith View Post
      im sorry 49-0 delt with adversity and still won..he deserves respect no matter who you believe can beat him...fact is..he was never defeated so he was doing something right
      SO let me get this straight, If Julio Cesar Chavez fights 10 more bums and retires...he should be considered one of the greatest? Or maybe Joan Guzman?

Comment

I cant believe how people are saying he beat everyone in his time..does anyone realize the ages of the fighters he fought or their records...or the possible influence...are you guys reading the thread?

Comment

Ezzard Charles, another dangerous contender, fought Rocky twice and even lasted the distance with him the first time around. Charles was a highly regarded heavyweight, an ex champion who had gotten the better of Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott, and was one of the only light heavyweights in history that made it big time in the top division. Although being outclassed by Charles's skills at first, Rocky swang the fight in his favour and turned the tide in order to win a unanimous decision over Charles in a brutal fifteen round fight. In the second fight, Rocky's nose was infamously split open down the middle, when Charles hit him with an elbow after missing an uppercut. Rocky fought on with the injury, seemingly not bothered about his nose, to knock Charles out with an unstoppable barrage of punches in the eighth. As a champion, Rocky deserves to be in the top five somewhere. He trained religiously, never gloated over beaten opponents, was never cocky and fought everyone around. Also, outside the ring he was like a champion should be, an icon of his age. He signed autographs, spent time with fans, loved his family and tried his best to be a decent man. 49-0 is his legacy, and I hope nobody ever breaks that record.

Comment

Originally posted by dondi330 View Post
            I cant believe how people are saying he beat everyone in his time..does anyone realize the ages of the fighters he fought or their records...or the possible influence...are you guys reading the thread?
            dude, just stop.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
              dude, just stop.
              Dude?

Comment

why sre people always looking for reasons to rain on the rocks parade, wat if i said that don king and the nation of islam helped fix many of ALI's fights, everyone would be dissin da **** out of me, but for wat ever reason everyone picks on the rock. how could his fights be fixed if he knocked most of em the f**k out. joe walcott, u think he took a dive? the punch he got hit with might well be the hardest recorded in boxing, walcott's lucky he lived to tell about it. wat im saying is his fights wernt fixed, even take his personallity, he was to proud a man to have help from some else.

Comment

Originally posted by portuge puncher View Post
                  why sre people always looking for reasons to rain on the rocks parade, wat if i said that don king and the nation of islam helped fix many of ALI's fights, everyone would be dissin da **** out of me, but for wat ever reason everyone picks on the rock. how could his fights be fixed if he knocked most of em the f**k out. joe walcott, u think he took a dive? the punch he got hit with might well be the hardest recorded in boxing, walcott's lucky he lived to tell about it. wat im saying is his fights wernt fixed, even take his personallity, he was to proud a man to have help from some else.
                  I would say Muslims are not known for doing what the Italian Mob does easily and all the time.
                  I would say if you love some one and were told to get knocked the F*** out so they can live ...you would do it.
                  Jersey Joe had like 17 losses when he fought Rocky.
                  In the real world things are harsh and in the 50's the mafia made it harsher.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                    Sometimes he weighed in at or near 200lbs.

He was 205 against Don Cockell, 196 and a half against Walcott the first time out, and I think 198 against Walcott in the rematch, plus 215 against Louis in the title fight, and I think he even weighed in at 225 or something for a fight once.

Though the name of the opponet escapes me.
                    You're looking at his opponents' weights. Marciano never weighed more than 180-190.

Based on his filmed fights

he beats down and nearly kills Carmine Vingo, sending him into coma
                    knocks out the number 1 contender Rex Layne out cold, breaking his jaw and knocking a few of his teeth out in the process
                    knocks an aging Joe Louis out of the ring
                    makes an old Lee Savold retire on his stool
                    KO's 'Kid' Matthews with two powerful left hooks
                    knocks Jersey Joe Walcott out cold after being behind on points, possibly the best right hand ever thrown
                    knocks Walcott out again, this time in the first round
                    breaks Roland LaStarza's arms and knocks him out of the ring
                    goes the distance with a game Ezzard Charles, mercilessly pummeling him in the late rounds
                    beats down Charles in a rematch after being cut on the nose by an elbow
                    beats up Don Cockell for 9 one-sided rounds
                    beats down a game Archie Moore, sending him down 5 times and knocking him out in the 9th

Were these fights fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                      You're looking at his opponents' weights. Marciano never weighed more than 180-190.

Based on his filmed fights

he beats down and nearly kills Carmine Vingo, sending him into coma
                      knocks out the number 1 contender Rex Layne out cold, breaking his jaw and knocking a few of his teeth out in the process
                      knocks an aging Joe Louis out of the ring
                      makes an old Lee Savold retire on his stool
                      KO's 'Kid' Matthews with two powerful left hooks
                      knocks Jersey Joe Walcott out cold after being behind on points, possibly the best right hand ever thrown
                      knocks Walcott out again, this time in the first round
                      breaks Roland LaStarza's arms and knocks him out of the ring
                      goes the distance with a game Ezzard Charles, mercilessly pummeling him in the late rounds
                      beats down Charles in a rematch after being cut on the nose by an elbow
                      beats up Don Cockell for 9 one-sided rounds
                      beats down a game Archie Moore, sending him down 5 times and knocking him out in the 9th

Were these fights fixed?
                      I could have sworn Rocky came in a few times at or near the 200lbs mark, but I may be mistaken.

And for the record, I never said Marciano's fights were fixed. You can't "fix" knockouts. Unless you're Bruce Seldon.

I just said he's overrated, and his myth is overblown. And that I'd pick dozens of top Heavyweights from the last 4 decades to knock the piss out of him.

Comment

Working...
                      X