Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lopez made-to-order for Peñalosa?

Lopez made-to-order for Peñalosa?
    SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin Henson Updated March 27, 2009 12:00 AM

Although WBO superbantamweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez is unbeaten and boasts an intimidating record of 24-0, with 22 KOs, challenger Gerry Peñalosa said the other day he’s confident of wresting the crown when they face off at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, on April 25.

Lopez was only five years old when Peñalosa turned pro in 1989 and is making the third defense of the title he took from Daniel Ponce de Leon on a first round knockout last year.

Peñalosa, 36, said Lopez’ come-forward style suits him just fine.

“He’s made-to-order for me,” he noted. “He’s a southpaw and so am I. I think it’s easier for me to fight a southpaw. I won my first title (WBC superflyweight) by beating a southpaw (Hiroshi Kawashima) and Ponce de Leon, also a southpaw, couldn’t hit me. I will be patient against Lopez who’s very inexperienced. I’ll wait for him to get careless. I’ll use a lot of head and lateral movement. The key is stamina.”

Peñalosa is now training at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles with Freddie Roach. He reports for workouts at 11 a.m. and ends at 1 p.m. when Manny Pacquiao checks in to train until 3 p.m. Roach takes care of his other fighters, like Bernabe Concepcion who challenges WBO featherweight titlist Steve Luevano on May 2, from 3 to 5 p.m.

“Lopez is a little slow and I’ll exploit that,” continued Peñalosa. “I’ll use my quickness to keep him from landing. He doesn’t have much of a jab because he likes to brawl. My defense will be tight. I’ll adjust during the fight. If Plan A doesn’t work, I’ll go to Plan B. My advantage is experience.”

Peñalosa said he’s not averse to mixing it up.

“I know I’m the challenger,” he said. “This is the fight I’ve been waiting for. I don’t have much time left as I plan to retire at the end of the year. After I beat Lopez, I’ll do one defense or fight a big money bout against either Rafael Marquez or Israel Vazquez.”

What may hold Peñalosa back is lack of activity. Lopez has logged 10 fights the last two years compared to only four for Peñalosa. But Lopez has hardly been tested as his last three fights ended in the first round. Of his 22 wins by stoppage, 10 came in the opening round.

Peñalosa’s most recent outing ended in a 10-round decision over German Meraz last Feb. 21 while Lopez disposed of Sergio Medina last December. After losing in 98 seconds, Medina claimed he took a dive, fearing for his life. But the Argentinian subsequently recanted.

“I watched Lopez being interviewed before he fought Ponce de Leon and I found him cocky,” said Peñalosa. “I’ll try to teach him a lesson. This is a big test for me, considering he’s 25 and I’m 36. But if I can take him to 10 rounds or more, I’ll have a good chance of winning. I like my chances. He might be stronger but if he can’t connect, it won’t matter.”

Peñalosa has never been knocked out. Of his five losses on points, three were by split decision. He’s not only durable but extremely hard to hit.

Only two fighters went the distance with Lopez. One was Mexican Gilberto Bolanos who was knocked out by Rey (Boom Boom) Bautista in six three years ago. The other was equally unheralded Sergio Mendez.

Former WBC secretary-general Rudy Salud said he would be surprised if Lopez knocks out Peñalosa.

“Gerry’s too slick,” said Salud. “Even if he fights Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis, he’ll still be hard to hit because he moves so well. You’ll miss more than often than you’ll connect. Of course, there’s such a thing as a lucky punch but against Gerry, that will come once in a blue moon.”

Salud said Peñalosa uses different tactics to throw off an opponent’s rhythm.

“I’ve seen Gerry bury his head on an opponent’s chest so there’s no way he’ll be hit,” said Salud. “Even as he’s now 36 with 62 fights, he’s not banged up. It won’t be an easy defense for Lopez.”

Thats what is going to get Peñalosa KTFO. Lopez is not just a come foward fighter, he can box to. Lopez is better at counter punching thah Penalosa, is faster ,stronger and more powerfull.

DOnt be surprise if Juanma box Peñalosas ears off, for a couple of rounds, before getting into gear and KHTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

"Gerry is too slick"...................

Comment

Lopez is only "made to order" for Gerry if the meal of the day is "brutal powershots to the face delight".

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
          Lopez is only "made to order" for Gerry if the meal of the day is "brutal powershots to the face delight".

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
            or knuckle sandwich?

Comment

There's been crazy stuff like this in boxing, I cant wait for this fight...

Comment

Originally posted by gerardofpr View Post
                or knuckle sandwich?
                I figured it needed a more descriptive title, considering Juanma's intense punching power.

Comment

theres a trend in boxing right now where old fighters are punishing the younger ones...

hopkins vs pavlik...

marquez vs diaz...

mosley vs margarito...

wright vs williams?

penalosa vs lopez?

let just wait & see friends...

Comment

I don't think Penalosa has the speed to deal wit Lopez. He's still a good fighter at his age, but he won't be able to match the pace or the power of Lopez.

Comment

Working...
                    X