No announcement yet.

I'm not too excited about the next generation of boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    Do you think you'll ever feel for another fighter what you feel for Roy?
    No. Roy had razzle dazzle(as he calls it) in the ring. He had charisma on the microphone. He could box without a jab and get away with it. The fastest fighter I ever saw......

And I don't think there will be another Bernard Hopkins or Mike Tyson either.

Comment

i feel your pain.........

still i see a select few guys out there who i like:

linares
      ortiz
      lopez
      dawson

thats pretty much it though....most of the other noobs kinda suck...i mean look at the
      hype nipple, kirkland and angulo are getting....theyre good and all and at least angulo is pretty inexperienced(started boxig at around 20, only 15 pro fights), so he can grow.....but kirkland is gonna get koed badly soon....(i still like him for the excitement, but i lol at the tyson comparisons.....especially since sloppy punching is a big turn off for me in terms of entertainment....)...nipple? forget about it....

even the recent elite guys like pavlik-abraham-adamek-klitschkos-hatton aint that good....they still get schooled by the late 90's era......

i pretty much only like cotto, taylor and kessler.....

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        Boxing seemed so much better when I started watching it in '95.
        Lots of things seem better when you first get into them.

You're just getting older and don't get easily excited because its not new to you anymore.

The same generation you hold in such high regard, had its fans who felt about them the way you do about the upcomers of today.

Comment

and yeah, i feel the late 90's era kicks severe ass........

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
            No. Roy had razzle dazzle(as he calls it) in the ring. He had charisma on the microphone. He could box without a jab and get away with it. The fastest fighter I ever saw......

And I don't think there will be another Bernard Hopkins or Mike Tyson either.
            but that right there is the beauty of the sport. Its one of the things that got me hooked to boxing....no two fighters are the same. you see guys become world champs when theyre 17 years old, and you see guys become world champs at 45.

We may not seen another Roy Jones again, but thats just fine with me. I love the variety of styles in boxing. I want to see the highest level of skill and athleticism of course, but I want to see it in a variety of forms.

We always talk about the greatest fighters of all time, but there is simply so much talent throughout boxing history. youll find guys that arent well known, but can do certain things in the ring so good that the ATGs couldnt do it better than them. and thats what makes boxing so special.

Comment

Jorge Linares is going to do great great things, I enjoy watching him fight.
              Juan Ma has grown on me too and Victor Ortiz. Bradley looks like he is gonna do very good things too.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway12 View Post
                Ortiz will be schooled by Bradley.
                and Bradley will get Knocked out by Ortiz

Comment

Late 90s ******, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but the fight of the century was a dud because both Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya were over rated. And the Heaveyweight divsion ******. It pretty much in the same state as it was, you only feel they are so much better, because you seen their full careers play out. But the next gerneration will bring great fights, unlike the 90s.

Comment

As people have said, youth has a lot to do with it. Young fighters need time to develop and have to come up through the ranks at a certain pace. Being in a war will catapult any of the new generation into higher ranks with fans overnight.

Another thing, and this is debatable, but some of the lackluster feelings about the new kids might be because of the way that they are marketed. Promoters and pay channels want you to get excited about the new crop so they "sell" them to the audience. But a lot of people resent being told who to like and interpret all this as undeserved hype. It just might be that people enjoy "discovering" a fighter rather than being told that any particular fighter is a sure-thing future star.

Comment

Originally posted by IwatchBoxing View Post
                      Late 90s ******, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but the fight of the century was a dud because both Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya were over rated. And the Heaveyweight divsion ******. It pretty much in the same state as it was, you only feel they are so much better, because you seen their full careers play out. But the next gerneration will bring great fights, unlike the 90s.
                      LOL

Evander Holyfield, Rid**** Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Andrew Golota, Michael Moorer, George Foreman, and others made for an amazing division.

You also had dominance in other division plus good contenders in them. I'll take the 90s Middleweights and Light Heavyweights, to them today.

Comment

Working...
                      X