Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jose Luis Castillo Vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. The biggest robbery of our Generation?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by javelin_fangs View Post
    There's two things that people always choose to ignore about this fight; you chose to ignore both of them. You say you're not trying to be biased, but if you weren't biased against Mayweather you wouldn't have ignored two things going his way.

First, Mayweather very clearly won the first four rounds. Second, Castillo was deducted a point in the eighth round for hitting on the break. He'd basically been hitting on the break from the fourth round on. And while that particular time wasn't an awful foul it was about the 4th time he'd done it. Right there Mayweather had a 5 point margin and if you score the eighth his way; which I'd be willing to bet just about every judge did because Mayweather fought well in that round then Mayweather has a 6 point margin with only 7 other rounds to score.

I really don't see how anyone could have expected Castillo to get that decision, especially an experienced judge like Harold Lederman. But the fact is that Castilo won between 4-6 of the last 8 rounds after losing the first 4. One judge gave him 4 and the other two gave him 5. That's really far from highway robbery.
    This is the kind of thing several posters have tried to explain to others for years now.

But if you watch a fight wanting to see a robbery, you'll find reasons validate that.

'The Gambler' (good poster) asked people why exactly was it a robbery, and nobody could actually explain why, instead saying "Its a robbery".

Mayweather clearly wins the first 4/5 rounds, then castillo gets deducted a point on a round he was losing, making it a 10-8 round I think, even if some of the morons who we already know cant score fights gives the remaining 7 rounds to castillo, that still doesnt = a robbery, and castillo didnt win rounds 6-12.

Waste of time explaining this tho, people see what they wanna see.

Comment

There are three reasons why people considered this a robbery.
      1. Harold Lederman scored it for Castillo by about 4 points and was livid when the decision went to Mayweather.
      2. Mayweather didn't win by 1 or 2 points or SD or MD. He won a UD by 4 or 5 points, which wasn't horrible, but many people would have expected at least one or two cards with it close.
      3. Bob Arum went out of his way in the months after the fight to say that Mayweather lost after defending Floyd that night.

Comment

Of course this thread made 6 pages...nice work Boom...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by javelin_fangs View Post
          There are three reasons why people considered this a robbery.
          1. Harold Lederman scored it for Castillo by about 4 points and was livid when the decision went to Mayweather.
          2. Mayweather didn't win by 1 or 2 points or SD or MD. He won a UD by 4 or 5 points, which wasn't horrible, but many people would have expected at least one or two cards with it close.
          3. Bob Arum went out of his way in the months after the fight to say that Mayweather lost after defending Floyd that night.
          I actually scored it the same way one of the judges did, that round where castillo loses a point whilst losing the round+ plus losing the the majority of the first 5 counts against him.

Not a robbery by any stretch, good fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post
            This is the kind of thing several posters have tried to explain to others for years now.

But if you watch a fight wanting to see a robbery, you'll find reasons validate that.

'The Gambler' (good poster) asked people why exactly was it a robbery, and nobody could actually explain why, instead saying "Its a robbery".

Mayweather clearly wins the first 4/5 rounds, then castillo gets deducted a point on a round he was losing, making it a 10-8 round I think, even if some of the morons who we already know cant score fights gives the remaining 7 rounds to castillo, that still doesnt = a robbery, and castillo didnt win rounds 6-12.

It's just funny how people preface by saying, I'm not a hater. I don't care, I have nothing invested in this and then go off calling it the worst decision of our generation. The truth is that it was Floyd toughest fight to date, but he deserved the decision.

There've been some real robberies. Probably the worst that I can think of in high profile fights the last 10 years or so were Lewis-Holyfield 1 (draw, but it should have been a clear win for Lewis), Winky-Vargas and DLH-Strum. Those were fights where one fighter clearly won about 9 or 10 rounds and didn't get the decision. That's a robbery.

Comment

Great fight could have gone to Castillo and people wouldn't have been upset.

I think people were calling this a robbery because before then, nobody had given Mayweather any resistance up until that point.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                Great fight could have gone to Castillo and people wouldn't have been upset.

I think people were calling this a robbery because before then, nobody had given Mayweather any resistance up until that point.
                EXACTLY! This was the first time Mayweather lost rounds at all. The first time rounds were even close. But that doesn't mean he actually lost the fight.

Comment

naw not the biggest robbery at all.. I believe castillo won though no doubt

Comment

i think there too many boxing fans out there who use the term " robbery " waaaaay to losely either that or they dont know the differance between robberys and close fights .

robbery is holyfield losing against valuev

shane mosely vs cotto , close fight could have been a draw cant really get mad at a cotto win.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post

Your opinion isnt infallible.

Castillo was winning the round that he got deducted a point, in my opinion. Thus making it 9-9. Then Floyd was deducted a point also which you fail to mention.

Comment

Working...
                      X