Floyd no longer on Roach’s list
Sports
Written by Aldrin Quinto / Subeditor
Wednesday, 04 March 2009 19:57
FREDDIE ROACH has earlier dubbed Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the next big thing for Manny Pacquiao but, apparently, the Hall of Fame trainer now has no interest of luring the undefeated American out of retirement.
“I don’t want to fight Mayweather next because he’s a boring fight,” he said in an article posted on the UK-based web site Morning Star online.
“We need the best fighters fighting each other because of other sports competing with us.
“If we win, I don’t have a lot of interest in fighting Mayweather. Even if you beat him, you look bad doing it,” Roach added. “Mayweather is very skilled. I don’t like his style. He’s a runner but is a great boxer.”
Mayweather had earlier demanded a $20-million guaranteed purse for a fight against Shane Mosley, according to Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, making a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown unlikely.
Pacquiao tries to clinch another world title in a fifth weight class when he goes for Ricky Hatton’s International Boxing Organization light-welterweight belt on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Hatton, who has stated his retirement plans last year, is now putting everything on hold and actually looked slightly ahead of his showdown with pound-for-pound king Pacquiao. He now wants a grudge rematch with Mayweather or a face off with Mexican slugger Juan Manuel Marquez.
“Manny won’t be my last fight. Hopefully, I’ll have a homecoming in the UK—against Marquez or Mayweather,” Hatton said on Tuesday.
“There are plenty of good fights out there for me if I was to beat Pacquiao,” said Hatton, who had spoken about retirement before he faced off with former International Boxing Federation junior-welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi last November.
“I’d be a liar if I said I don’t think I can get another crack at Floyd Mayweather Jr. Marquez wants to become the first Mexican to win titles at five different weights,” he added.
The only loss in his 46-fight career came in 2007, when Mayweather scored a technical-knockout victory in the 10th round of their 12-round World Boxing Council welterweight championship bout.
Arum, meanwhile, is looking to set up a match between Top Rank top guy Pacquiao and World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Miguel Angel Cotto, one of the other top boxers in the same promotional outfit.
Sports
Written by Aldrin Quinto / Subeditor
Wednesday, 04 March 2009 19:57
FREDDIE ROACH has earlier dubbed Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the next big thing for Manny Pacquiao but, apparently, the Hall of Fame trainer now has no interest of luring the undefeated American out of retirement.
“I don’t want to fight Mayweather next because he’s a boring fight,” he said in an article posted on the UK-based web site Morning Star online.
“We need the best fighters fighting each other because of other sports competing with us.
“If we win, I don’t have a lot of interest in fighting Mayweather. Even if you beat him, you look bad doing it,” Roach added. “Mayweather is very skilled. I don’t like his style. He’s a runner but is a great boxer.”
Mayweather had earlier demanded a $20-million guaranteed purse for a fight against Shane Mosley, according to Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, making a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown unlikely.
Pacquiao tries to clinch another world title in a fifth weight class when he goes for Ricky Hatton’s International Boxing Organization light-welterweight belt on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Hatton, who has stated his retirement plans last year, is now putting everything on hold and actually looked slightly ahead of his showdown with pound-for-pound king Pacquiao. He now wants a grudge rematch with Mayweather or a face off with Mexican slugger Juan Manuel Marquez.
“Manny won’t be my last fight. Hopefully, I’ll have a homecoming in the UK—against Marquez or Mayweather,” Hatton said on Tuesday.
“There are plenty of good fights out there for me if I was to beat Pacquiao,” said Hatton, who had spoken about retirement before he faced off with former International Boxing Federation junior-welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi last November.
“I’d be a liar if I said I don’t think I can get another crack at Floyd Mayweather Jr. Marquez wants to become the first Mexican to win titles at five different weights,” he added.
The only loss in his 46-fight career came in 2007, when Mayweather scored a technical-knockout victory in the 10th round of their 12-round World Boxing Council welterweight championship bout.
Arum, meanwhile, is looking to set up a match between Top Rank top guy Pacquiao and World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Miguel Angel Cotto, one of the other top boxers in the same promotional outfit.
Comment