No announcement yet.

Yuriorkis Gamboa to Face Walter Estrada on February 20

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IwatchBoxing View Post
    Vero Beach? Your missing out on the good fights there putting on in FT Laurdale and Miami, now.
    When I was in West Palm I was at all of the fights down that way. It figures that I moved the moment Gamboa came to America.

Comment

i love gamboa as much as i like amir khan.. they are almost replica's of each other! both olympic champs of 2004 both insanely fast punchers, both pack a punch, both have that stlye that sells tickets and has you glued to your screens as its fast paced exitment..but unfortunatly they also share another trate-their chins!!, like khan gamboa has a fault in his chin and i believe hes going to get found out pretty soon.. he'l win this won and a few more but i see him getting knocked out down the line by bigger punchers such as chris john or luevano however just like a khan fight it will be interesting all the way and i hope he still goes all the way..

Comment

Originally posted by venomk1 View Post
        i love gamboa as much as i like amir khan.. they are almost replica's of each other! both olympic champs of 2004 both insanely fast punchers, both pack a punch, both have that stlye that sells tickets and has you glued to your screens as its fast paced exitment..but unfortunatly they also share another trate-their chins!!, like khan gamboa has a fault in his chin and i believe hes going to get found out pretty soon.. he'l win this won and a few more but i see him getting knocked out down the line by bigger punchers such as chris john or luevano however just like a khan fight it will be interesting all the way and i hope he still goes all the way..
        thats a bang on assesment.they look like clones.I am not sure that khan's problem is a bad chin though.The most shocking thing about him after such a stellar amateur career is that the guy just doesnt know how to move his head.He gets caught flat footed and square on,and also,after being hit he has no idea how to tie up or move away.I saw a slight improvement in his last fight,but I think khan is at least a year away from being ready for a title shot.Roach is going to have an awful lot of work to do with him,and he is going to need a lot of hard sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.crust View Post
          thats a bang on assesment.they look like clones.I am not sure that khan's problem is a bad chin though.The most shocking thing about him after such a stellar amateur career is that the guy just doesnt know how to move his head.He gets caught flat footed and square on,and also,after being hit he has no idea how to tie up or move away.I saw a slight improvement in his last fight,but I think khan is at least a year away from being ready for a title shot.Roach is going to have an awful lot of work to do with him,and he is going to need a lot of hard sparring.
          i think if khan was to learn some bernard hopkins spoiling, grabbing, butting moves he could go to the very top as hes a bit too much clean cut guy in the ring if you know what i mean.. but id guess if he changeg to that style hed loose alot of viewers as its his stlye that everyone likes to watch..same applies to gamboa too.

Comment

He is staying busy and fighting good competition, its only a matter of time before he becomes champion.

Comment

I really like Gamboa and enjoy his fights and the fact that he fights so damn often. I disagree though with his people in that he's only 1 or 2 fights away from a title shot. He's a natural and gifted fighter there's no doubt of that but his opposition thus far has been against C and D level fighters. They need to move him away from those guys, stop padding his record, and test him against low B level fighters, fringe contenders, etc. After a couple of solid wins against those guys let him fight true contenders in his weight class, real contenders. Then after beating those guys soundly, I would let him fight for a title. It's always possible I'm just underestimating the guys talent or ability but he may not have such an easy time against more solid competition.

Then again what do I know...I write for a living, I don't box or train boxers. LOL
              Last edited by myau1; 02-09-2009, 06:20 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

good boxer to watch, always makes the fights interesting to watch, but I dont think he is ready for a title fight....not yet....

Comment

Originally posted by THE HERP View Post
                  Glad that Gamboa is staying busy. Seems they are bringing him along at a pretty smart pace. Everybody wants him to be for fighting titles already, when this is only 14th pro bout. Love watching him fight.
                  he might as well be busy if he's not stepping up in competition

Comment

Damn W Estrada. Now thats a big jump in competition. this guy can really put a stop to Gamboas hype. i hope not, because Gamboa is a exciting fighter to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by jaycuban View Post
                      He is staying busy and fighting good competition, its only a matter of time before he becomes champion.
                      Walter Estrada has lost 4 of his last 6 fights, he may have been good competition at one time...maybe back when he was Gamboas age. Still I think Gamboa will get knocked down at least once in this fight or he may not get up. Which would be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X