No announcement yet.

“Fighting Words” – What UFC Fighters Have Learned From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Fighting Words” – What UFC Fighters Have Learned From Boxing

by David P. Greisman - They are different sports with different fan bases, different histories and different strategies. But boxing is a part of mixed martial arts, or MMA. The skills used within the squared circle are incorporated into the arsenals of those who step into the cage. The ability to punch is as essential as the ability to wrestle, to kick, to fight on the ground and to defend against all of the above.

Fighters may excel in one aspect, but they cannot specialize and merely expect to get by. From the very first Ultimate Fighting Championship (or UFC) pay-per-view, Royce Gracie turned conventional beliefs upside-down, using Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to take out experts in various fighting forms. More than a dozen years later, Gracie would be dominated by a modern MMA fighter, Matt Hughes.

Every so often a boxer spouts off with the naďve belief that he could step into the Octagon against the best the UFC has to offer and win based solely on his superior boxing skills. But while some boxers seem to underestimate what it takes to succeed in mixed martial arts, many mixed martial artists appreciate – and incorporate – the skills of the Sweet Science.

Marcus Davis is a mixed martial artist with five-and-a-half years in20the sport and 20 fights on his record. He’s fought nine times in the UFC, winning all but one. Before he ever tried out MMA, however, Davis was a boxer, and somewhat successful, fighting 20 times around New England, winning 17 times, losing once and drawing twice.

“I always wanted to fight. That’s it,” Davis said in an interview last month. “That’s all I ever wanted to do. I didn’t want to punch a clock. I didn’t want to sit behind a desk. I didn’t have aspirations of being anything but a fighter.” [details]

a wolf in the clothing of a sheep. that is gary shaw. he kept donaire without a fight for years. donaire finally make up his senses and bolted with gary shaw, the wolf. and now he is calling donaire disloyal. is it disloyal to ask for a fight to earn a living?

now i understand why gary shaw, the wolf, will not give darchinyan a rematch with donaire. it's not because he hold grudges with donaire for bolting his company but because he knew darchinyan is a mismatch for donaire. he is afraid nonito will knockout darchinyan again. of course he cannot afford to lose his milking cow!

and who give a damn if he will not give darchinyan a rematch with donaire?

Comment

First of all Vince phillips was a total has been when he fought MMA and they put him in there with the best kick boxer around in his prime so that is hardly a good measuring stick. I saw that fight, The kickboxer was fighting like a **** . All he did was kick Phillips calf the whole time so he wouldn't have to get close. GAY!!!!
      Last edited by xfiles; 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM.

Comment

get this UFC bull**** off the main page. it should be on the MMA board

Comment

They have learnt that they cant be boxers

Comment

Great accurate story. These bozos here keep blasting MMA which is a true fighting sport unlike what wrestling, I mean boxing, has become, a show. The only way Boxing won't die is if it comes back strong. Needs to learn from the UFC and get fans back. PERIOD!

Comment

We dont pret nor Mount man

Comment

Oh, BTW, this is coming from an open minded, true, boxing purist who is in the business & deals with both MMA & Boxing.

Comment

we dont care about ufc

totally imbecillic argument of course if a boxer goes into mma he will get beaten because of the wrestling and all the other stuff mma incorporates, but it works both ways if an mma guy goes into boxing under boxing rules hell get hiss ass beat too, because most mma dudes have terrible boxing skills no head movement body movement slow single punches, some mma guys have ok boxing skills but most dont. there is absolutley no logic in that article, we dont want anything from mma we dont care about mma mma has their deal we have ours people should quit trying to make it a competetion between mma and boxing your never going to convert most hardcore boxing fans, respect our sport we arent constantly attacking mma. tired of hearing that **** "what boxing can learn from mma" we dont give a **** isnt this a boxing news website? if mma is soo hot why are you always dragging boxing into it?

Comment

I agree that MMA is a completely different animal to boxing. A guy with no wrestling or jiu-jitsu experience would get creamed. Look at Ali when he tried to wrestle that one guy, it looked so weird.

What attracts me to boxing is it's history, it's glory. Muhammad Ali standing over Sonny Liston, Marciano putting Walcott to sleep, Hagler-Hearns, it just has a seductive appeal to me.

Just don't go all MMA on us David, boxing needs you.

Comment

Working...
                    X