Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is more physically demanding -Boxing or MMA title fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post
    This is an obvious one, MMA.

With MMA you basically have two or three disciplines you have to work on. You have to work on your striking(Muay Thai or Boxing or both) and for the ground some MMArtists work on wrestling or BJJ or both. All those four disciplines work on various muscle groups, whereas boxing is limited.

A boxer does not have to worry about getting thrown on the ground and fighting his way out of being on the ground. A boxers legs doesn't get punished the same way a kickboxer does.
    Spoken like someone who's never been through a boxing workout before.

Originally posted by hammerhiem View Post
    I'm no pro MMA or Boxer but I've messed about in both camps, nothing serious or anything.

I would rather do 10 minutes of groundwork top or bottom than 3 minutes on a bag.
    I feel the same way. I've done both MMA/Wrestling routines and boxing. I practiced 1-2-kick combinations and take-downs with this guy (who was about 30 lbs heavier than me) for about an hour straight with no rest.

Hitting a heavy bag for an hour straight would be EXHAUSTING! I've tried. In terms of workout and fitness I'd definitely say boxing (and if you look at fighters, most boxers go into a fight looking in TOP physical condition while i've seen a lot more MMA fighters go into a fight looking fat).

Now, who would win in a fight is a different story altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by twanky1 View Post
      Boxing is the most difficult sport in the world. Not only is a 12 round title fight one of the hardest things in sports the skill level is much higher in Boxing. It takes a decade of training and a load of natural talent to be an elite boxer.

The UFC HW champ is a 2 win 1 loss ex WWE roid head who has less skill then Muhammad Ali had in his pinky.
      I agree with most of that. However, Brock Lesnar is not ENTIRELY untalented. Yes, its ridiculous that hes a champ with that record, but the guy was an All-American college wrestler. That's pretty respectable.

Comment

I have trained in boxing, muay thai, judo, jujitsu and aikido and I can honestly say that boxing is the harder workout.

Comment

I'd say the most demanding thing is dealing with these bull**** Boxing vs. MMA threads.

Comment

boxing... boxing u can go as many as 12 rounds.....

Comment

Not to hate but almost all mma fighters have a horrible physique, and i've never really seen a boxer with a bad physique.

plus mma fights usually end in the first round

Comment

I've trained in both MMA & Boxing gyms. Two MMA gyms, 1 boxing gym. And the thing is, is this boxing gym I train at now isn't one of the elitist in my statre, wheras the MMA gyms I trained at were. I trained at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy here, so I've trained with both Sean Sherk, Brock Lesnar, and numerous successful MMA fighters. And I've come to notice that MMA really works less technique then it should, and less training. Half the people that trained there never heard of going running before. They stick & stay in the gym and don't do anything else to help themselves outside of it. Wheras a boxing gym is completely different. Jens Pulver, a former boxer now MMA fighter, has even stated nearly everything he trains is trained in a gym. I think this is the one big reason why some MMA fighters look unconditioned, flabby, and overall unskilled compared to boxers. I don't think it's the nature of the sport, it's just the nature of the fighters and how they were taught to train.

Comment

Depends on if you fight a guy like John Ruiz who's going to hug you for 12 rounds or a prime Holyfield who's going to be on you every second.

Comment

Surprisingly from the sherdog nut huggers it seems like anyone that has trained in both sports say Boxing is the more demanding which I agree with. I think its pretty obvious by simply just looking at the fighters.

Comment

The Answer is BOXER and theres 3 reasons why:

1.You gotta train for fighting for 36min in boxing and 25min in mma.

2.You u have to stand on your feet in boxing..In mma u can lie down on top of the other guy and take breathers..FOR GOD SAKES U SEE IT IN VIRTUALLY EVERY FIGHT..

4.Gloves..A boxer gloves are ofcourse naturally bigger then mma gloves and it takes a boxer longer to end a fight with bigger padded gloves..

Dont give me that bull**** "well theres more styles u have in mma so its harder bla bla bla"..Ive been watchin since the early days and i'll be the first one to tell u that when a guy is twisting a man arm...hes twisting a mans arm!!!....And thats it!! he's not doin anything too special.. in mma they have 92 different names for a headlock for **** sakes..Yes i know that theres different styles etc etc but the fact remains that mma guys take CONSTANT breathers throughout the fight gets to lay on top of each other while a boxer has to stand up every second of the fight, and boxers get broken up by the ref literally in seconds whenever they do lean on another..

MMA loses this one!!! Boxing wins by fatality!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X