Hatton: ‘I bring money to the table’
By NICK GIONGCO
In one of his standup comedy shows in southern England the past week, Ricky Hatton broke his silence about the conflict over the financial split of his May 2 battle with Filipino Manny Pacquiao.
Insisting that a 50-50 deal is fair enough for him and Pacquiao, the British super-lightweight star told the Daily Telegraph that while the pound-for-pound tends to believe that he is the draw, he is the one generating the money.
"Look around you. You can see how many have turned out tonight. I sold out the City of Manchester Stadium in six hours, 55,000 people. Thousands follow me to Vegas. How many people does he bring from the Philippines? Not many," Hatton said as quoted by Kevin Garside, the Chief of Sports Writers for the British broadsheet, in a story that was published last Friday.
"No disrespect to Manny, he is a great fighter, and deserves his pound-for-pound accolade. But I bring as much to the table if not more than him. We agreed a 50-50 split. It’s that or nothing," added Hatton, who also dabbles in comedy gigs.
Like Hatton, Pacquiao appears steadfast about his stand that he deserves not only the bigger but juicier slice of the pie as he had sacrificed a lot when he fought Oscar De La Hoya last year.
Top Rank chief Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said his fighter had to settle for a 32 percent share of the total pot so the fight could materialize.
Now that he is on top of the world, Pacquiao feels he has the right to demand what he rightfully thinks is due him.
While the rest of the boxing world keenly awaits what will happen next, a close ally of Pacquiao told the Bulletin that the fighter is now studying at least four options.
"There have been some adjustments in the financial split and I believe that Manny will be able to decide and the fight will go on as planned," said Salud from Cebu City, where Pacquiao is staying overnight after gracing the opening of the national amateur boxing championships in Bacolod on Saturday.
Salud said there are 55-45 and 58-42 sharing schemes being looked at by Pacquiao but he would not elaborate as to exactly how much money is involved.
Pacquiao lawyer Jeng Gacal said the other day that Arum can only add a maximum of 0,000 to Pacquiao’s take-home pay and that the revenue sharing remains the same.
Should the fight take place, it will be held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, according to Arum.
By NICK GIONGCO
In one of his standup comedy shows in southern England the past week, Ricky Hatton broke his silence about the conflict over the financial split of his May 2 battle with Filipino Manny Pacquiao.
Insisting that a 50-50 deal is fair enough for him and Pacquiao, the British super-lightweight star told the Daily Telegraph that while the pound-for-pound tends to believe that he is the draw, he is the one generating the money.
"Look around you. You can see how many have turned out tonight. I sold out the City of Manchester Stadium in six hours, 55,000 people. Thousands follow me to Vegas. How many people does he bring from the Philippines? Not many," Hatton said as quoted by Kevin Garside, the Chief of Sports Writers for the British broadsheet, in a story that was published last Friday.
"No disrespect to Manny, he is a great fighter, and deserves his pound-for-pound accolade. But I bring as much to the table if not more than him. We agreed a 50-50 split. It’s that or nothing," added Hatton, who also dabbles in comedy gigs.
Like Hatton, Pacquiao appears steadfast about his stand that he deserves not only the bigger but juicier slice of the pie as he had sacrificed a lot when he fought Oscar De La Hoya last year.
Top Rank chief Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said his fighter had to settle for a 32 percent share of the total pot so the fight could materialize.
Now that he is on top of the world, Pacquiao feels he has the right to demand what he rightfully thinks is due him.
While the rest of the boxing world keenly awaits what will happen next, a close ally of Pacquiao told the Bulletin that the fighter is now studying at least four options.
"There have been some adjustments in the financial split and I believe that Manny will be able to decide and the fight will go on as planned," said Salud from Cebu City, where Pacquiao is staying overnight after gracing the opening of the national amateur boxing championships in Bacolod on Saturday.
Salud said there are 55-45 and 58-42 sharing schemes being looked at by Pacquiao but he would not elaborate as to exactly how much money is involved.
Pacquiao lawyer Jeng Gacal said the other day that Arum can only add a maximum of 0,000 to Pacquiao’s take-home pay and that the revenue sharing remains the same.
Should the fight take place, it will be held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, according to Arum.
Comment