No announcement yet.

Margarito, Mosley, and The Welterweight Crown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarito, Mosley, and The Welterweight Crown

By Cliff Rold - Slightly more than one week from now, on January 24th, Mexico’s WBA Welterweight title holder Antonio Margarito (37-5, 27 KO), the “Tijuana Tornado,” will attempt an encore of the biggest win of his career, the still vivid memory of defeating Miguel Cotto sure to play in his mind.

Standing across the ring from him will be an aging warrior seeking yet another validation of his long tenure and, in the wake of increased public evidence of performance enhancing substance usage, a chance at some redemption for “Sugar” Shane Mosley (45-5, 38 KO).

In the sports wonkier press and pundit circles, one debate at play for this fight boils down to a simple question: what role should this bout play in filling the lineal Welterweight crown left vacant on June 6, 2008 by Floyd Mayweather Jr.?
    [details]

I'm guessing you voted yes then. I would have voted no because Cotto clearly beat Mosley imo. It was close, but Mosley looked like garbage last time out too, so I'd vote no.

Also, if you think about it, it doesn't really matter because the winner rematches Cotto to decide that linealge anyway.

Comment

Yea my issue is that Mosley's last win at 147 was who....Collazo nearly 2 years ago? Since than he's lost to Cotto, and looked unimpressive against Mayorga at 154. So that win at 154 really shouldn't have much bearing on his 147 ranking.

So, how, coming off of a loss in his last WW fight, and coming back from 154, does he re-enter the WW rankings at #3 over Clottey and Berto? It just doesn't make sense at all to me. It would be a travesty if this fight was for the Ring title.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhfalvor View Post
        Yea my issue is that Mosley's last win at 147 was who....Collazo nearly 2 years ago? Since than he's lost to Cotto, and looked unimpressive against Mayorga at 154. So that win at 154 really shouldn't have much bearing on his 147 ranking.

So, how, coming off of a loss in his last WW fight, and coming back from 154, does he re-enter the WW rankings at #3 over Clottey and Berto? It just doesn't make sense at all to me. It would be a travesty if this fight was for the Ring title.
        Co Sign!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
          I'm guessing you voted yes then. I would have voted no because Cotto clearly beat Mosley imo. It was close, but Mosley looked like garbage last time out too, so I'd vote no.

Also, if you think about it, it doesn't really matter because the winner rematches Cotto to decide that linealge anyway.
          Here was my thinking...Mosley is the only guy in the top four Marg hasn't beat so if he wins, he's the champ without much dispute. He just IS. If Mosley wins, it's parrity. Push comes to shove, I voted yes but with the caveat, as noted, that there should have been another option.

Comment

who here thinks mosley can KO margarito ?
            ok, who thinks margarito can KO mosley ?
            let's take a vote......

Comment

Im starting to think this wont be as competitive as I hoped. Mosley will box enough to last the full 12 but their wont be any real fireworks. Mosley didnt look all that impressive with Mayorga probably cause of Mayorgas style yes. I just think in this stage of Moselys careers he's more about the $$$$ then establishing his greatness. I feel Margarito wants this more.

Comment

winner of the margarito-mosley fight. gets cotto for the welterweight championship.

Comment

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
                  winner of the margarito-mosley fight. gets cotto for the welterweight championship.
                  That's my point here...if that's the fight it comes down to, Marg IS the champ already.

Comment

I'd have no beef wit this fight bein for the Ring title. The Ring is thinkin triangle style usin Cotto's win over SSM as a reason to deny the belt bein contested, but it goes both ways. If SSM wins, he beat the guy who beat Cotto, so why wouldn't he be the champ if Cotto's #2 status is so damn important? If Marg wins, he'll have beaten both, so why wouldn't he be the champ?

Comment

Working...
                    X