Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fight vs The Thrilla in Manilla

Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1971 - The Fight
    Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1975 - The Thrilla In Manilla

Which one was better in terms of the ACTUAL fight and not the drama surrounding it?

I would say both were immense fights filled with amazing boxing but I say The Thrilla in manilla edges it because it was much more brutal and they gave all they had until they HAD to stop it and Ali collapsed in his corner after. Such an epic fight.
    The Fight 1971
    39.47%
    The Thrilla in Manilla 1975
    60.53%

Fight 1... You have to add in the surrounding circumstances...two fighters, in there prime, unbeaten...The agressor gets the better of the boxer, knocking him down in the 15th..The pure boxer fights back in the same round... Frazier wasn't the same after fighting Foreman the first time..

Comment

Every time I see Frazier land that leapng left hook,thats the best hook I have ever seen!!

Comment

"in there prime"

lol come on how could you say that was ali's prime.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
          "in there prime"

lol come on how could you say that was ali's prime.
          He showed flashes of his prime.Frazier on the other hand was definitely in his prime.
          In the first fight the flurries are more explosive and the fighters seem sharper. The Thrilla has its moments but I have to go with the first one.

Comment

ALI-Frazier 3 hands down.

If a boxing aficianado broke down and analyzed that fight, *****....there's so much ***** in that fight.

The reason why Eddie Futch stopped the fight in the 14th round is because they were fcukin dying. If you watch the post-fight interview, damn...they were damaged after that.

ALI was everything that night. That's probably one of my favorite fights of all time.

Plus, the bonus is that it took place in the P.I.

Comment

The first one... when they were both in their prime and in better shape.

Comment

Originally posted by nathan_nall View Post
                The first one... when they were both in their prime and in better shape.

How is Ali prime in 71?

Comment

I have the Thrilla on VHS, love it. It was like 100 degrees in that arena and they fought like it was to the death. The most amazing thing about that fight is that I heard Ali almost threw in the towel he was so exhausted and then Frazier saved him. This fight was also the model for a lot of other great slugfests that happened. Two great fighters, past their prime, fighting for pride.

The Thrilla in Manilla is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Testdead View Post
                    How is Ali prime in 71?
                    Angelo Dundee said on ESPN Classic, during and episode of "Ringside", that we missed the BEST years of Ali during his ban from boxing. 1971 is the next best thing. You ask, how is he prime in 1971? I can't explain that to you, because I don't know. But I have faith that if anyone knows, its Angelo Dundee... and certainly not you.

Comment

Working...
                    X