Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

, John McCain plans to take up an old fight -- pursuing legislation to protect boxers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• , John McCain plans to take up an old fight -- pursuing legislation to protect boxers

lmaooooooo
    at anyone who said obama would be him in a fight ...remeber we had teh poll
    he boxed in the navy mccain tko 1

http://www.thering-online.com/blog/1...rotect_boxers/
    For most politicians, boxing is a metaphor. But it never has been for John McCain. Hillary Clinton waved Kelly Pavlik’s gloves during a primary stop in Youngstown, Ohio. It was symbol, a photo op, for a candidate who wanted to be seen as a fighter.

But gloves are no symbol for McCain.

McCain has worn them.

The former Naval Academy boxer says he intends to take up an old fight as he resumes the daily rounds of work as Arizona’s senior senator after the Republican nominee lost in a bruising campaign to Democrat Barack Obama for president.

McCain, co-author of the Professional Boxing Safety Act in 1997 and the Muhammad Ali Act in 2000, says he intends to resume his pursuit of further legislation, including a national commission. He regrets that the Professional Boxing Amendments Act of 2007 failed to get through Congress.

There are complaints that much of the Ali Act has not been enforced. The Amendments Act was designed to supplement the Ali legislation and might have put some teeth into it.

“I’ll keep trying, sure,’’ said McCain, a former fighter pilot who said toughness learned in the ring helped him survive as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. “I have to. That’s something that I think is important. I have had this discussion before. If there is ever a group of Americans who need some government involvement, it is boxers. So I’ll continue.

“I know it’s not an issue that affects a lot of voters, to say the least. It’s not anything other than something in which I have an abiding interest and belief in some of the finest people you and I have ever known.’’

McCain talked with THE RING about himself as a boxer and about his love, concerns and frustration with the state of the game in a recent interview.

THE RING: What do you think of the Ali Act and has it worked?

McCain: “I’ve always thought it was a good beginning. Of course, I’m disappointed we didn’t get the bill through the Congress. A commission, some more organization and other things like licensing of promoters and managers are things I think need to continue to be done.’’

THE RING: You are a big sports fan. Why boxing? Where does boxing rate among your favorites?

McCain: “I think it has always had a special place for me. As you know, I was mediocre. But I loved to box. Some of my heroes when I was growing up were boxers when boxing was literally everywhere. A lot of people might not recall this, but I remember when somebody in our neighborhood bought the first TV, a black-and-white. There were Tuesday night fights. Thursday night fights. Friday night fights. I watched them all. You know, I’m a proud conservative. But I also feel there is a role for government with the people – and this is not an entirely accurate description – who are from the lowest rung of our economic ladder. Many times, they are exploited. So, it appeals to that part of my nature that always roots for the underdog.’’

THE RING: You fought as lightweight at the Naval Academy. Describe yourself as a boxer.

McCain: “Oh I was just a slugger, a little bit like my political career. A lot of wild swings. A lot of misses.’’

THE RING: How many amateur fights did you have?

McCain: “Maybe 20 overall and then, in those days when you had a Midshipmen cruise, we’d put up a ring on the back of a battleship and have fights.’’

THE RING: You are known for being tough. Did you learn some of that in the ring?

McCain: “Yeah, it did help me a little bit in prison, because I’d been beaten up before. I wasn’t afraid of taking a blow.’’

THE RING: When you watch boxing today, what do you think of the state of the game?

McCain: “You and I have had this discussion for years. I’m concerned obviously. The major events are restricted to a maximum of a couple of hundred thousand viewers and there is still the alphabet soup full of titles. I just watched Wladimir Klitschko fight. This guy is standing behind him with belts. His brother (Vitali) has belts. Everybody has a belt. So I worry about it. I think there is an opening there that has been exploited well by ultimate fighting, although there are other reasons that it is so popular.’’

THE RING: Several years ago you were very critical of cage fighting, a forerunner of what has evolved into mixed martial arts. Are you surprised by MMA’s emergence?

McCain: “I didn’t like it when I saw a film of a guy who had somebody down on the ground and was head-butting him while he was unconscious. But they cleaned it up. If that’s what people want to see, I’m not complaining about it. I just complained about what it was originally. I just don’t think it is a pure sport. It’s not what boxing can be.’’

THE RING: What did you think of Oscar De La Hoya’s stunning loss to Manny Pacquiao?

McCain: “It’s sad to see. It’s like politicians. They remember you, not how you were, but how you are. He could have gone out in a different fashion.”

THE RING: De La Hoya did not say immediately after the fight whether he plans to retire. Do you think he should?

McCain: “Oh my God. Years ago, I was at another fight and I can’t even remember which fight it was. Anyway, there was some kind of pre-fight reception some place. Tommy Hearns was there. He came over. I’ve always admired him. I admire all these guys. Anyway, he says: ‘I want you guys to know I’m coming back. I’ve still got it.’ I just looked at him and thought to myself: Geeez. He made some abortive comeback against a couple of pugs. I’d be sorry to see Oscar do it. But this Pacquiao is a phenomenon. He truly is. I would love to see him with Floyd Mayweather. That would be one of the great fights of the century.’’

THE RING: De La Hoya has emerged as a major promoter with his company, Golden Boy Promotions. He has joined forces with Bernard Hopkins, among other fighters. Would you like to see more fighters get into the promotional business?

McCain: “Absolutely. I’d love to see that. Obviously, boxers appeal to other boxers.’’

THE RING: What about the business itself? This is a difficult economy, although boxing has a history of doing well in tough times. Can that trend continue?

McCain: “Yeah, that’s interesting. I don’t think it will have the effect that it is having on other major-league sports. Corporations, generally-speaking, are not involved in boxing. They don’t buy boxing, although I’m sure they buy tickets. But overall there is just not the same kind of involvement. I was just having lunch with (Bulls and White Sox owner) Jerry Reinsdorf, a guy I’ve enjoyed being around enormously. Jerry was talking about the drop-off in Chicago for the Bulls in corporate sponsorship. I don’t think it will have the same effect in boxing as it might in, say, professional golf.’’

THE RING: What about politicians and the boxing metaphor? A memorable photo during the Democratic primaries was Clinton with Pavlik’s gloves. Why is boxing such a part of the American language? Does that indicate it will always be with us, no matter what?

McCain: “To the first part of the question: So many of the great moments in sports are in the boxing ring. Joe Louis. Muhammad Ali. All of them are there, including the Golden Boy, who we just saw, and Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard and so many more. I think the metaphor is easy because it is one-on-one. It’s not a team sport. It’s an individual sport. I can see why Senator Clinton would do that. It’s down to two, mano-a-mano. Politics lend themselves to that metaphor. When you are into a debate, you often hear commentators talk about trading punches or knockout blows or about how nobody landed a glove on him. Yeah, it’s amazing. But I do think boxing has receded in popularity steadily since we have seen all of the things we’ve talked about – proliferation of titles, that kind of thing. But throughout history you read about Rocky Marciano and the Mafia, about Jack Dempsey and opponents who were selected for him. You know it’s kind of interesting that boxing has been called the Sweet Science and the Red Light District of Sports. They’re both right.’’

mccain makes fun of ufc lolll
    "I just don’t think it is a pure sport. It’s not what boxing can be.’’

lmaoooo

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
      lmaooooooo
      at anyone who said obama would be him in a fight ...remeber we had teh poll
      he boxed in the navy mccain tko 1

http://www.thering-online.com/blog/1...rotect_boxers/
      For most politicians, boxing is a metaphor. But it never has been for John McCain. Hillary Clinton waved Kelly Pavlik’s gloves during a primary stop in Youngstown, Ohio. It was symbol, a photo op, for a candidate who wanted to be seen as a fighter.

But gloves are no symbol for McCain.

McCain has worn them.

The former Naval Academy boxer says he intends to take up an old fight as he resumes the daily rounds of work as Arizona’s senior senator after the Republican nominee lost in a bruising campaign to Democrat Barack Obama for president.

McCain, co-author of the Professional Boxing Safety Act in 1997 and the Muhammad Ali Act in 2000, says he intends to resume his pursuit of further legislation, including a national commission. He regrets that the Professional Boxing Amendments Act of 2007 failed to get through Congress.

There are complaints that much of the Ali Act has not been enforced. The Amendments Act was designed to supplement the Ali legislation and might have put some teeth into it.

“I’ll keep trying, sure,’’ said McCain, a former fighter pilot who said toughness learned in the ring helped him survive as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. “I have to. That’s something that I think is important. I have had this discussion before. If there is ever a group of Americans who need some government involvement, it is boxers. So I’ll continue.

“I know it’s not an issue that affects a lot of voters, to say the least. It’s not anything other than something in which I have an abiding interest and belief in some of the finest people you and I have ever known.’’

McCain talked with THE RING about himself as a boxer and about his love, concerns and frustration with the state of the game in a recent interview.

THE RING: What do you think of the Ali Act and has it worked?

McCain: “I’ve always thought it was a good beginning. Of course, I’m disappointed we didn’t get the bill through the Congress. A commission, some more organization and other things like licensing of promoters and managers are things I think need to continue to be done.’’

THE RING: You are a big sports fan. Why boxing? Where does boxing rate among your favorites?

McCain: “I think it has always had a special place for me. As you know, I was mediocre. But I loved to box. Some of my heroes when I was growing up were boxers when boxing was literally everywhere. A lot of people might not recall this, but I remember when somebody in our neighborhood bought the first TV, a black-and-white. There were Tuesday night fights. Thursday night fights. Friday night fights. I watched them all. You know, I’m a proud conservative. But I also feel there is a role for government with the people – and this is not an entirely accurate description – who are from the lowest rung of our economic ladder. Many times, they are exploited. So, it appeals to that part of my nature that always roots for the underdog.’’

THE RING: You fought as lightweight at the Naval Academy. Describe yourself as a boxer.

McCain: “Oh I was just a slugger, a little bit like my political career. A lot of wild swings. A lot of misses.’’

THE RING: How many amateur fights did you have?

McCain: “Maybe 20 overall and then, in those days when you had a Midshipmen cruise, we’d put up a ring on the back of a battleship and have fights.’’

THE RING: You are known for being tough. Did you learn some of that in the ring?

McCain: “Yeah, it did help me a little bit in prison, because I’d been beaten up before. I wasn’t afraid of taking a blow.’’

THE RING: When you watch boxing today, what do you think of the state of the game?

McCain: “You and I have had this discussion for years. I’m concerned obviously. The major events are restricted to a maximum of a couple of hundred thousand viewers and there is still the alphabet soup full of titles. I just watched Wladimir Klitschko fight. This guy is standing behind him with belts. His brother (Vitali) has belts. Everybody has a belt. So I worry about it. I think there is an opening there that has been exploited well by ultimate fighting, although there are other reasons that it is so popular.’’

THE RING: Several years ago you were very critical of cage fighting, a forerunner of what has evolved into mixed martial arts. Are you surprised by MMA’s emergence?

McCain: “I didn’t like it when I saw a film of a guy who had somebody down on the ground and was head-butting him while he was unconscious. But they cleaned it up. If that’s what people want to see, I’m not complaining about it. I just complained about what it was originally. I just don’t think it is a pure sport. It’s not what boxing can be.’’

THE RING: What did you think of Oscar De La Hoya’s stunning loss to Manny Pacquiao?

McCain: “It’s sad to see. It’s like politicians. They remember you, not how you were, but how you are. He could have gone out in a different fashion.”

THE RING: De La Hoya did not say immediately after the fight whether he plans to retire. Do you think he should?

McCain: “Oh my God. Years ago, I was at another fight and I can’t even remember which fight it was. Anyway, there was some kind of pre-fight reception some place. Tommy Hearns was there. He came over. I’ve always admired him. I admire all these guys. Anyway, he says: ‘I want you guys to know I’m coming back. I’ve still got it.’ I just looked at him and thought to myself: Geeez. He made some abortive comeback against a couple of pugs. I’d be sorry to see Oscar do it. But this Pacquiao is a phenomenon. He truly is. I would love to see him with Floyd Mayweather. That would be one of the great fights of the century.’’

THE RING: De La Hoya has emerged as a major promoter with his company, Golden Boy Promotions. He has joined forces with Bernard Hopkins, among other fighters. Would you like to see more fighters get into the promotional business?

McCain: “Absolutely. I’d love to see that. Obviously, boxers appeal to other boxers.’’

THE RING: What about the business itself? This is a difficult economy, although boxing has a history of doing well in tough times. Can that trend continue?

McCain: “Yeah, that’s interesting. I don’t think it will have the effect that it is having on other major-league sports. Corporations, generally-speaking, are not involved in boxing. They don’t buy boxing, although I’m sure they buy tickets. But overall there is just not the same kind of involvement. I was just having lunch with (Bulls and White Sox owner) Jerry Reinsdorf, a guy I’ve enjoyed being around enormously. Jerry was talking about the drop-off in Chicago for the Bulls in corporate sponsorship. I don’t think it will have the same effect in boxing as it might in, say, professional golf.’’

THE RING: What about politicians and the boxing metaphor? A memorable photo during the Democratic primaries was Clinton with Pavlik’s gloves. Why is boxing such a part of the American language? Does that indicate it will always be with us, no matter what?

McCain: “To the first part of the question: So many of the great moments in sports are in the boxing ring. Joe Louis. Muhammad Ali. All of them are there, including the Golden Boy, who we just saw, and Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard and so many more. I think the metaphor is easy because it is one-on-one. It’s not a team sport. It’s an individual sport. I can see why Senator Clinton would do that. It’s down to two, mano-a-mano. Politics lend themselves to that metaphor. When you are into a debate, you often hear commentators talk about trading punches or knockout blows or about how nobody landed a glove on him. Yeah, it’s amazing. But I do think boxing has receded in popularity steadily since we have seen all of the things we’ve talked about – proliferation of titles, that kind of thing. But throughout history you read about Rocky Marciano and the Mafia, about Jack Dempsey and opponents who were selected for him. You know it’s kind of interesting that boxing has been called the Sweet Science and the Red Light District of Sports. They’re both right.’’

Great Read...

Even John Mccain think a Pacquaio vs. Mayweather fight would be huge...

and i think he is right there is too many champions and it is ruining the sport...

Comment

McCain needs to stick to what he knows: politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Horus View Post
          Great Read...

Even John Mccain think a Pacquaio vs. Mayweather fight would be huge...

and i think he is right there is too many champions and it is ruining the sport...
          yeah hes seems 2 know whats going on in this sport ...
          Originally posted by KingChile View Post
          >>>??? prolly knows more than you ,,,

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
            yeah hes seems 2 know whats going on in this sport ...
            >>>??? prolly knows more than you ,,,

Uh yes, I would expect him to know more about politics than me.

Comment

Nice interview. Thanks for posting it. A great man and a class act. Hope he is able to get some support for another try at cleaning up boxing a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthook2daliva View Post
                Nice interview. Thanks for posting it. A great man and a class act. Hope he is able to get some support for another try at cleaning up boxing a bit.
                yeah this really surprised me ...someone on his level giving a **** about our sport ..he seems pretty knowledgeable of the sport too ..really surprised me ...i hope these acts do some good .. i remember mayweather saying he wanted 2 get somthing passed 2 protect retired fighters also classy guys

Comment

Originally posted by KingChile View Post
                  Considering he got battered by Obama in the polls, he best stick to boxing.

I like the guy anyway. But America needs a youthful and new direction. Something McCain could not give.

Comment

I love John McCain. I almost feel bad for not voting for him, but Palin killed it for me. It's good to hear John say that he cares about these guys too. I thought I was one of the only ones who actually cares about these guys after they're no longer in the limelight.

Comment

Working...
                    X