Hatton's lawyer says Mayweather Jr. wants rematch
By Rob Harris, AP Sports Writer
LONDON — Ricky Hatton has been approached by Floyd Mayweather Jr. -- the only boxer to beat him in an 11-year career -- about a rematch.
"Hatton is considering his options at the moment," Gareth Williams, the British boxer's lawyer, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We need to sit down and talk to all parties to consider what is best for Hatton."
Mayweather has been out of the ring since stopping Hatton in the 10th round last December.
The 30-year-old Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs) hired Mayweather's father, Floyd Sr., to help him defend his IBO light welterweight title against Paul Malignanni last month in Las Vegas.
While Hatton's priority is a bout with Manny Pacquiao, who beat Oscar De La Hoya earlier this month, no contracts have been signed.
"Every light-welterweight in the world wants to fight Hatton," Williams said. "We've had approaches from everybody. We've also had approaches from people at 130 lbs (59 kilograms), Juan (Manuel) Marquez and Juan Diaz both want to fight him. He is a massive draw and can fight where he wants.
"But the fight we want to make, our preference, is Manny Pacquiao because we think that is a great fight. Ricky has made no secret of the fact he wants to take on the best and Pacquiao is regarded as the best. We're more than happy to make that fight but it has got to be on acceptable terms."
Hatton has been thinking about a rematch with Mayweather.
"I'd like to fight Floyd Jr. again," Hatton said in October. "I think he'll come out of retirement after the De La Hoya-Pacquiao fight. Floyd is all about controversy and he'll want to come out and do it."
The 55-year-old Mayweather Sr., who is estranged from his son, would have no qualms about training Hatton for a fight.
"Does Floyd give me any money? That answers your question about who I will train," he said.
We're happy to fight Pacquiao but it has to be on our terms. We won't be bullied. We've had no contact whatsoever with him. That is the fight we want to make but we've got other options, we will do what is best for us. Every light-welterweight in the world wants to fight Hatton. We've also had approaches from people at 130-pounds, Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz both want to fight him. He is a massive draw and he can fight where he wants."
Ray Hatton, Ricky's father, confirmed Williams' claim that Mayweather, or at least one of his people, has been in touch about a second fight with "The Hitman."
"It hasn't come from us because we just took it as what it was, a third party sounding us out," Ray Hatton told Sky Sports. "Really at the moment we're looking at Manny Pacquiao. It's very nice for Ricky to still be in such a big league."
Williams finished by speaking about how Hatton gave away his natural weight advantages by taking Mayweather on at welterweight when they met in December of 2007. Next time, if there is a next time, this may not be the case.
"Ricky gave away all the advantages last time to challenge Mayweather," Williams said. "He makes no secret of the fact he is a 140-pound fighter so for any future negotiations ......... I think we're in a position now where we don't have to give away all the bargaining positions."
The big question is why would Mayweather be interested in a return with Hatton, a man he stopped reasonably comfortably inside ten rounds? Unless "Money" is either, A: attempting to interfere with any future negotiations for a Hatton-Pacquiao clash, or, B: looking at Hatton as a potential "warm-up" opponent for his own challenge of Pacquiao, this news is hard to figure.
Who knows, we may now see Pacquiao-Hatton, Pacquiao-Mayweather and/or even Mayweather-Hatton II in 2009!
By Rob Harris, AP Sports Writer
LONDON — Ricky Hatton has been approached by Floyd Mayweather Jr. -- the only boxer to beat him in an 11-year career -- about a rematch.
"Hatton is considering his options at the moment," Gareth Williams, the British boxer's lawyer, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We need to sit down and talk to all parties to consider what is best for Hatton."
Mayweather has been out of the ring since stopping Hatton in the 10th round last December.
The 30-year-old Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs) hired Mayweather's father, Floyd Sr., to help him defend his IBO light welterweight title against Paul Malignanni last month in Las Vegas.
While Hatton's priority is a bout with Manny Pacquiao, who beat Oscar De La Hoya earlier this month, no contracts have been signed.
"Every light-welterweight in the world wants to fight Hatton," Williams said. "We've had approaches from everybody. We've also had approaches from people at 130 lbs (59 kilograms), Juan (Manuel) Marquez and Juan Diaz both want to fight him. He is a massive draw and can fight where he wants.
"But the fight we want to make, our preference, is Manny Pacquiao because we think that is a great fight. Ricky has made no secret of the fact he wants to take on the best and Pacquiao is regarded as the best. We're more than happy to make that fight but it has got to be on acceptable terms."
Hatton has been thinking about a rematch with Mayweather.
"I'd like to fight Floyd Jr. again," Hatton said in October. "I think he'll come out of retirement after the De La Hoya-Pacquiao fight. Floyd is all about controversy and he'll want to come out and do it."
The 55-year-old Mayweather Sr., who is estranged from his son, would have no qualms about training Hatton for a fight.
"Does Floyd give me any money? That answers your question about who I will train," he said.
We're happy to fight Pacquiao but it has to be on our terms. We won't be bullied. We've had no contact whatsoever with him. That is the fight we want to make but we've got other options, we will do what is best for us. Every light-welterweight in the world wants to fight Hatton. We've also had approaches from people at 130-pounds, Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz both want to fight him. He is a massive draw and he can fight where he wants."
Ray Hatton, Ricky's father, confirmed Williams' claim that Mayweather, or at least one of his people, has been in touch about a second fight with "The Hitman."
"It hasn't come from us because we just took it as what it was, a third party sounding us out," Ray Hatton told Sky Sports. "Really at the moment we're looking at Manny Pacquiao. It's very nice for Ricky to still be in such a big league."
Williams finished by speaking about how Hatton gave away his natural weight advantages by taking Mayweather on at welterweight when they met in December of 2007. Next time, if there is a next time, this may not be the case.
"Ricky gave away all the advantages last time to challenge Mayweather," Williams said. "He makes no secret of the fact he is a 140-pound fighter so for any future negotiations ......... I think we're in a position now where we don't have to give away all the bargaining positions."
The big question is why would Mayweather be interested in a return with Hatton, a man he stopped reasonably comfortably inside ten rounds? Unless "Money" is either, A: attempting to interfere with any future negotiations for a Hatton-Pacquiao clash, or, B: looking at Hatton as a potential "warm-up" opponent for his own challenge of Pacquiao, this news is hard to figure.
Who knows, we may now see Pacquiao-Hatton, Pacquiao-Mayweather and/or even Mayweather-Hatton II in 2009!
Comment