MANNHEIM: Having disposed of Hasim Rahman with a seventh-round technical knock-out on Saturday night, world champion Vladimir Klitschko says he now has rival champ Nikolai Valuev in his sights.
Klitschko had few problems here as he first put Rahman on the canvas in the sixth round before the referee stopped the fight after 44 seconds of the seventh.
Now Klitschko wants to add the WBA title — which Valuev will defend against Evander Holyfield in Zurich on Saturday — to his IBF, IBO and WBO titles.
“It will be good if the combination fight for the WBA title happens against Valuev,” said Klitschko.
“But if not, then so be it.
“There are many interesting names in this division, guys like David Haye and Alexander Povetkin.”
Haye, England’s former cruiserweight world champion, made an impressive heavyweight debut against Monte Barrett last month and appeared live on German television after the Klitschko-Rahman fight saying he will face either brother.
Vitali Klitshcko, 37, ended his four-year retirement in October to win the WBC heavyweight belt from Nigeria’s Samuel Peter and Haye has said he is prepared to face either Klitschko in the next six months.
“I want to fight the best in this division and it doesn’t bother me which of you it is,” the 28-year-old known as the ‘Hayemaker’ told Vitali.
Vladimir Klitschko had been due to face Povetkin in Mannheim on Saturday, but a training injury forced him out and Rahman was a late substitute.
Klitschko had few problems here as he first put Rahman on the canvas in the sixth round before the referee stopped the fight after 44 seconds of the seventh.
Now Klitschko wants to add the WBA title — which Valuev will defend against Evander Holyfield in Zurich on Saturday — to his IBF, IBO and WBO titles.
“It will be good if the combination fight for the WBA title happens against Valuev,” said Klitschko.
“But if not, then so be it.
“There are many interesting names in this division, guys like David Haye and Alexander Povetkin.”
Haye, England’s former cruiserweight world champion, made an impressive heavyweight debut against Monte Barrett last month and appeared live on German television after the Klitschko-Rahman fight saying he will face either brother.
Vitali Klitshcko, 37, ended his four-year retirement in October to win the WBC heavyweight belt from Nigeria’s Samuel Peter and Haye has said he is prepared to face either Klitschko in the next six months.
“I want to fight the best in this division and it doesn’t bother me which of you it is,” the 28-year-old known as the ‘Hayemaker’ told Vitali.
Vladimir Klitschko had been due to face Povetkin in Mannheim on Saturday, but a training injury forced him out and Rahman was a late substitute.
Comment