Why Hagler Could Take a Punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hagler Could Take a Punch

(as detailed in ‘Sorcery at Caesars’)

Hagler’s lineage provided him magnificent boxing genes – that much was certain. He was graced with long arms and shoulders as wide as his ambition. More remarkable was his temporalis – a muscle that runs across the skull at both temples. Most temporalis are a quarter-inch thick, but both of Hagler’s were one inch, a phenomenon that astounded his physician when it was discovered during a routine exam in 1983. Hagler’s temporalis acted as a natural helmet and almost certainly helped him absorb blows. But he was sensitive to the notion of freakish physicality, perhaps from a racial perspective, and bridled at questions about his temporalis.

I wish Amir Khan had and inch thick temporalis.

He probably doesn't have that muscle at all.

Comment

marvin could take a helluva punch, one of the best chins of all time.

the guy was one tough SOB, not just physically but mentally as well, look at his training regimes, the lack of recognition everything about marvin hagler told you that he was old school and tough as nails.
      ________
      CBF600
      Last edited by hookoutofhell; 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hearns mentioned when he hit Hagler that he could feel his entire arm absorb the shock into his back.

Comment

Robbie Sims doesn't have one inch temporalis !

Comment

post a pic of it, so i can know what you're talking about.all i know is, dude had a dome like a world war 2 helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA O`MEGA View Post
              post a pic of it, so i can know what you're talking about.all i know is, dude had a dome like a world war 2 helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Clottey View Post

Comment

One of my favourite fighters of all time. Some of the shots Tommy buried into his skull that night in 1985 would've dropped many a horse. Marvin just smiled and kept coming forward.

A legend.

Comment

John Madden said b4 the Leonard fight Hagler was in the best shape he had ever seen an athlete be in.

Comment

Working...
                    X