No announcement yet.

Ali vs Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
    I know they had a computer fight or something years ago which Marciano won but in your honest, unbiased opinion who would have won?

I couldn't really say because I haven't seen a lot of Marciano's fights TBH!
    this fight doesnt interest me idk why

Comment

Originally posted by Hester65 View Post
      Read my first post. I said Rocky would get beat by decision. I was simply typing back exactly what Boogie typed first; a factless opinion.
      Aight bro. But let us be clear that it would be a complete beat down. RM would probably get stopped, certainly lose a UD with high chance of a shut out.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Nights View Post
        the records of walcott's birth date were said to be inacurate, which was said about a lot of fighters in those days. Walcott could, or could not have been past 40. The theory was pointed to that he was.The point being, he was still an old man, who was in the stages of his last couple of fights. In fact the rocky rematch was his last.

i think it's more believeable to say that Ali had a better chance of stopping rocky, than the other way around. Rocky's chin was pretty good, but he was never hit by foreman, shavers, or frazier.

rocky could be cut, aside from walcott, he never fought anyone who used fast combination punching.
        Rocky would be getting hit by Ali, not Shavers-Foreman-Frazier etc. I see that you are saying Ali took those guys shots, so he could probably take Rocco's. Ali was a good puncher, but he wasn't going to stop Rocky based on his punching power (which is what I said from the start). I did say that Rocky being cut/stopped was a legitimate possibility. So, yes, Ali was more probable to get a stoppage on cuts, but not from punching power.

Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
        Aight bro. But let us be clear that it would be a complete beat down. RM would probably get stopped, certainly lose a UD with high chance of a shut out.
        Ali, even in his prime, lost rounds from time to time. I think it's a clear win for Ali, but not a beatdown. Rocky would have his moments, maybe even hurt Ali at some point. I agree Ali would most likely win a wide decision, but Rocky would land (and he won't be stopped unless the ref stopped it via cuts).
        Last edited by Hester65; 11-12-2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Fair enough Hest, but Ali could bang when he got of his toes and planted his feet. He has a fair few KO's for a 'light puncher'. Liston, Foreman, Patterson...

Comment

Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
            Fair enough Hest, but Ali could bang when he got of his toes and planted his feet. He has a fair few KO's for a 'light puncher'. Liston, Foreman, Patterson...
            Clearly. Punching was Ali's most underrated skill. The guy had a sick combination of timing, quickness, placement, and leverage. He punched at different speeds, which is a very vital tool. Ali was a very good puncher.

From a pure power stance, Ali didn't hit as hard as some, but that doesn't mean the guy couldn't KO the top level guys.

Comment

Rocky would be getting hit by Ali, not Shavers-Foreman-Frazier etc. I see that you are saying Ali took those guys shots, so he could probably take Rocco's. Ali was a good puncher, but he wasn't going to stop Rocky based on his punching power (which is what I said from the start). I did say that Rocky being cut/stopped was a legitimate possibility. So, yes, Ali was more probable to get a stoppage on cuts, but not from punching power.
              that's exactly what i wanted to say.

i only used the late stoppage theory, because if ali was in the control of the fight, he might as well go for it if he felt that he could. Ali's power is nowhere on the level of say tyson's or foreman, but crap about him punching like a featherweight is not true. Im not saying that you said that, but time to time i hear others say it. Ali could hurt fighters, but he traded power for speed.
              Last edited by Boogie Nights; 11-12-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Clearly. Punching was Ali's most underrated skill. The guy had a sick combination of timing, quickness, placement, and leverage. He punched at different speeds, which is a very vital tool. Ali was a very good puncher.

From a pure power stance, Ali didn't hit as hard as some, but that doesn't mean the guy couldn't KO the top level guys.
                well i see that you already agree, so we're all good

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Nights View Post
                  well i see that you already agree, so we're all good
                  I'm no boxing dummy.

Comment

I'm no boxing dummy.
                    I don't think he Boogie implied you were! I've really enjoyed this informative discussion!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
                      I don't think he Boogie implied you were! I've really enjoyed this informative discussion!!
                      i hope that he doesnt think so. and i wasnt implying it, thanks for clearing that up.

i was leaning more towards some fans underestimating certain things, i tend to do that too on some levels. But i enjoyed the discussion as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X