No announcement yet.

The towel came flying in from the corner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
    Roy was not close to KOing him from one brief knockdown, sorry. Joes been down 4 times and never looked like being KO'd. You can knock him down but not out, he has a very tough chin.

Plus, Roy did not say Joes punches are weak mik. In the lead up to the fight on numerous videos he said Joe has a decent KO ratio and has hurt some opponents because he can hit hard, he just doesn't all the time. He's also quoted as saying Joes pitter patter punches were harder then I thought. He's respectable enough to accept it, especially with a busted eye.
    I never said Roy was close to KO'ing Joe but after you knock someone down and they get up you need to press them. If they were staggered at all it is the time to push the action....Lefty

Comment

Great write up. Joe deserves credit for a good win. But I think part of the reason he handed Roy his ass for 12 rounds was because Roy is not Roy anymore. Before Saturday, when was Roy's last significant win? 2003. Beating tito wasn't a great win due to the obvious circumstances. I picked Roy, and it was a ****** prediction. I should have taken a hint from the Glen Johnson debacle.

Roy was tired against Anthony Hanshaw. Yes, he pulled that fight out. But Calzaghe big step up from Hanshaw.
      Last edited by Truth; 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
        Roy was not close to KOing him from one brief knockdown, sorry. Joes been down 4 times and never looked like being KO'd. You can knock him down but not out, he has a very tough chin.

Plus, Roy did not say Joes punches are weak mik. In the lead up to the fight on numerous videos he said Joe has a decent KO ratio and has hurt some opponents because he can hit hard, he just doesn't all the time. He's also quoted as saying Joes pitter patter punches were harder then I thought. He's respectable enough to accept it, especially with a busted eye.
        Yeah, I know mate.

Originally posted by luckylefty731 View Post
        I never said Roy was close to KO'ing Joe but after you knock someone down and they get up you need to press them. If they were staggered at all it is the time to push the action....Lefty
        The reason that Jones didnt follow it up is because he's smart enough to have watched Joe's fights before and knows that when Joe gets knocked down he gets back up and starts swinging. Look at the Byron Mitchell fight where Joe got knocked down, got back up and swung, took a number of shots from Byron but gave more in return and ultimately knocked Mitchell straight out of a strong position. Roy may have lost some of his ability, but he's not become ******. In the end he did move in a little, Calzaghe started swinging and Roy got stung back onto the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by .Mik. View Post
          Yeah, I know mate.

The reason that Jones didnt follow it up is because he's smart enough to have watched Joe's fights before and knows that when Joe gets knocked down he gets back up and starts swinging. Look at the Byron Mitchell fight where Joe got knocked down, got back up and swung, took a number of shots from Byron but gave more in return and ultimately knocked Mitchell straight out of a strong position. Roy may have lost some of his ability, but he's not become ******. In the end he did move in a little, Calzaghe started swinging and Roy got stung back onto the ropes.
          Most fighters are dangerous when they are hurt. My point was that Roy put him down on the ground he has the power to hurt Joe and he never really tried to close the show in the first round. Joe had Roy hurt in the 7th and he came after Roy. I just would have liked to see Roy press the action a little bit more after the knock down....Lefty

Comment

Calzaghe has been knocked down 4 times in his career. 3 of which were in the first two rounds of the fight. He's often off balance until he finds his range. Its just his style. Everytime he's been down he's up quickly, head clears, legs are back and he comes back stronger. He showed Roy his chin time and time again and took a few clean shots without as much as a wobble, so I think that its fair to say that he wasnt too worried about Roy's power. Some fighters need a little while to get used to being hit in the face at the start of a fight. Calzaghe doesnt spar much.

Comment

Working...
            X