Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know of any non expensive boxing gyms in Manhattan/brooklyn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
    my gym is the bomb. luis collazo trains there. travis simms and jaidon codrington used to train there. we have a lot of great amateur fighter there.

its in ridgewood, queens off the myrtle l train stop. call ray at 718-366-6586. tell him spiegel sent you!

its the best deal in the city. training included in membership and no sharks trying to steal you from other trainers, call u "champ" and give you false hopes. ray is brutally honest and thats a good thing. you will get your skills up nicely. the amateur team is called brotherhood, and thats what the vibe is like. we all support each other and work with each other to get better. good luck bro and hope to see you at the gym soon!
    What's the gym called?

I know a gym called GYMU that's in ridgewood. Is it that?

Also how much is it monthly? Im looking for a gym bro. I live on Cypress Hill, by the J Train. Let me know boss.

Comment

it varies. for 3 days a week with a trainer it is like 150 a month, which is unheard of. for example, gleasons is like 85 a month (65 if you are a registered amateur fighter with your book) plus like at least an additional 50 bucks per training session. by having training included, you save loot. you can save more if you buy in 3, 4 month, or year long packages.

its a great vibe. small, but personal and you'll learn a **** load. seeing world champs and top amateurs do their thing in the gym rubs off, plus its such close quarters that you get to actually interact with them. i love it. come!

i met a dude on this forum (in the training section) under the name jaywater39 and got him to join. ask him how he likes it for further info.

i dont think that other gym in ridgewood that you are talking about is the one that i go to, btw. ours is called new york boxing, but most people know it as brotherhood, since that is the name that our amateurs fight under.
      Last edited by mspiegelo; 10-31-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

The brotherhood sounds cool(and awesome price). I'll check them all out and compare and choose.

But, i like that you say the dude in the brotherhood does not pamper you.

Comment

I might check it out.. Probaly go on Monday to see where its at, then sign up if I like it.

Comment

I go to kingsway in the city its $130 a month w/ trainer $150 if you want a locker with that but i pay 3 months at a time and its $360 w/ locker so that comes out to $120 a month w/ locker.I think its a good gym been there for about 10 months

Comment

I ****ing hate college!

So much money! I can't even save for nothing!

Comment

Gleasons is roughly 75-80$ if I remember correctly for Gym dues per month. This is just to be able to use the gym, locker fees add more if you want to use a locker plus most trainers in there charge $20+ per hour though you can negotiate deals with them usually anywhere from 200-400$ per month for training you daily and whatnot.

There's a few much cheaper ones I forget the name of it but there used to be one (not sure if it's still there) a few years ago in bed stuy on marcus garvey boulevard. I think it was something like new bedstuy boxing community center or something and it was REAL cheap I mean trainers in there you can give them like a few dozen dollars a month to train you. Then there was this other really cheap one in sunset park..I can't remember the name but the **** was dirt cheap but it was tiny you know. Gleasons is a celebrity gym with tons of celebrity world renowned trainers. Just letting you know what to expect, it's the #1 greatest, most famous, storied gym in the world and it's where ESPN shoots all their boxing shows with bert sugar and raging bull and many other movies were shot there, in fact Gleasons is closed very often due to various filming schedules for movies and shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum29 View Post
                  Gleasons is roughly 75-80$ if I remember correctly for Gym dues per month. This is just to be able to use the gym, locker fees add more if you want to use a locker plus most trainers in there charge $20+ per hour though you can negotiate deals with them usually anywhere from 200-400$ per month for training you daily and whatnot.

There's a few much cheaper ones I forget the name of it but there used to be one (not sure if it's still there) a few years ago in bed stuy on marcus garvey boulevard. I think it was something like new bedstuy boxing community center or something and it was REAL cheap I mean trainers in there you can give them like a few dozen dollars a month to train you. Then there was this other really cheap one in sunset park..I can't remember the name but the **** was dirt cheap but it was tiny you know. Gleasons is a celebrity gym with tons of celebrity world renowned trainers. Just letting you know what to expect, it's the #1 greatest, most famous, storied gym in the world and it's where ESPN shoots all their boxing shows with bert sugar and raging bull and many other movies were shot there, in fact Gleasons is closed very often due to various filming schedules for movies and shows.
                  That's not always a good thing. Fro what I see, the trainers at Gleason's are top notch, but kind of passive. Understandably so, they deal with thousands and thousands of pnches a day. Unless you're really good that is. It is a great place to be though, if you want to be a fighter. If you can make it at gleason's and be respected an do good in NY you can do anything. I'm probably just biased because I'm used to more personal training, or my amateur coaches who I have a more of a friendship with.

From what I've seen, Brotherhood looks to be doing good.

Another thing is to look at what neighborhood the gym is in. Especially being a college student. You might walk into some ****, if you know what I mean. I didn't, some time ago, which is a different story lol.

Good uck.

Comment

I've been to gleasons before... Only went for 2 months untill money issues came along.

Im looking for another gym, because right now College ain't helping, and once I find a job, I aint gonna be able to box as much... Even though I really want to box and try and take it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Undefeated View Post
                      I might check it out.. Probaly go on Monday to see where its at, then sign up if I like it.
                      nice. come on out bro. ill be there tomorrow morning at 9- 12/1ish. if you go later, tell ray that spiegel told you about the place on the boxingscene forum. good luck and hope to see you out soon!

Comment

Working...
                      X