Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sven Ottke an All Time Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isnt this the same guy who never fought out of Germany?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gully Gad View Post
      Isnt this the same guy who never fought out of Germany?
      This is the guy that beat Michael Moorer Chris Byrd and a host of others in the Amateurs.

He got gifts as a pro, but he was pretty good overall.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        21 title defenses, gift decision against reid, always stayed in his home country, fought old timers and no hopers, no power. who am i talking about calzaghe or ottke?
        funny how you bring Calzaghe into EVERY thread

he must have ****ed you good because you just cant seem to get over him

Comment

He hasn't beaten any elite fighters, and is mainly known for staying in Germany for his whole career and defending his title against a bunch of no names, on top of a few of those being controversial, like the Johnson and Reid fights. I don't rank him anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
            He hasn't beaten any elite fighters, and is mainly known for staying in Germany for his whole career and defending his title against a bunch of no names, on top of a few of those being controversial, like the Johnson and Reid fights. I don't rank him anywhere.
            You obviously didn't see him whip Byrd's ass in the am's or Moorers, or Tarvers.

As a pro he was ok and got gifts but he was good overall.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
              You obviously didn't see him whip Byrd's ass in the am's or Moorers, or Tarvers.

I also thought Ottke was a great amateur but not that great as a pro, perhaps because he had trouble adjusting to the "professional style" having started at age 30.

He could make any fight close but there's no way he deserved all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

But of course that was the amateurs, i wasn't really wasn't too impressed with him in the pros. He seemed limited IMO and he stayed in Germany. I just don't see greatness.

I remember Bobby Pacquaio fighting someone named Carlos Navarro and Al Bernstein was talking about how Navarro had beaten Mayweather in the amateurs, is he great?

Comment

where is the "lol" option on the poll?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                    I also thought Ottke was a great amateur but not that great as a pro, perhaps because he had trouble adjusting to the "professional style" having started at age 30.

He could make any fight close but there's no way he deserved all of them.
                    Yeah, not an all time great but my no means a joke.

I believe Iceman sparred with him years ago, and he can attest to his ability if I am not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                      Sven Ottke > Glen Johnson > Roy Jones > Virgil Hill > Drake Thadzi > James Toney > Michael Nunn > Donald Curry > Milton McCrory > Luis Santana > Terry Norris > Buster Drayton > Davey Moore > Wilfred Benitez > Roberto Duran > Iran Barkley > Thomas Hearns > Pipino Cuevas > Billy Backus > Jose Napoles > Emile Griffith > Dick Tiger > Jose Torres > Don Fullmer > Joey Archer > Sugar Ray Robinson.

GOAT.

But in all seriousness, no. He received quite a few gift decisions and only fought once outside of Germany early in his career.

Damn man, that would have taken some thought. Fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X