Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know you guys are going to attack me!!! SSR GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Left Hook Tito View Post
    i disagree with everything you said in that post except......

you know your basketball!

kobe>mj
    You're done for the night.

Comment

Is it so wrong to question this?

Some of you make it seem like I'm burning the American flag.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        u must be sick
        kobe beats mj in a lot of categories reed.

kobe's only problem is his small hands. he loses his grip and/or gets stripped easier than mj. mj had better handling of the ball.

mj's defense is a bit better too but he benefits from having scottie behind him.

kobe is a better shooter than mj and bigger and more athletic. what mj had is better shot selection though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Rabbits View Post
          You're done for the night.
          west > jordan

not being in purple and gold really hurts mj's legacy imo.

Comment

Originally posted by R I Z O View Post
            I've seen some footage of Sugar Ray Robinson and to be honest, I'm not impressed. I don't see how people could claim again and again that he is the most talented fighter to EVER lace them up. I just dont see it.

I'm not calling him a bum nor have I seen all of his fights but someone asnwer me this........ who did he beat?

I mean really, was competition that stiff back then that you can legitimately claim that he was infact, the GREATEST of all time?

Again, I'm not calling him a bum but I am not going to go with the flow when I feel otherwise.

Someone please enlighten me.
            Don't know if he is GOAT....but based on his WIKI this Kat has a pretty damn good resume...Id's say you can def make a case for him for sure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Robinson

Robinson was 85-0 as an amateur with 69 of those victories coming by way of knockout, 40 in the first round. He turned professional in 1940 at the age of 19 and by 1951 had a professional record of 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts. Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, and won the world middleweight title in the latter year. He retired in 1952, only to come back two and a half years later and regain the middleweight title in 1955. He then became the first boxer in history to win a divisional world championship five times, a feat he accomplished by defeating Carmen Basilio in 1958 to regain the middleweight championship. Robinson was named "fighter of the year" twice: first for his performances in 1942, then nine years and over 90 fights later, for his efforts in 1951. He engaged in several multi-fight rivalries with other Hall of Fame fighters such as Jake LaMotta, Carmen Basilio, Gene Fullmer, and Carl 'Bobo' Olson. Robinson engaged in 200 pro bouts, and his professional career lasted nearly 26 years.

Robinson was named the greatest fighter of the 20th century by the Associated Press, and the greatest boxer in history by ESPN.com in 2007. The Ring magazine rated him the best pound for pound boxer of all-time in 1997, and its "Fighter of the Decade" for the 1950s. Muhammad Ali, who repeatedly called himself "The Greatest" throughout his career, ranked Robinson as the greatest boxer of all time. Other Hall of Fame boxers such as Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Leonard said the same.

Comment

Originally posted by R I Z O View Post
              Is it so wrong to question this?

Some of you make it seem like I'm burning the American flag.
              Nah, not at all. The old timers used to fight so often that it wasn't uncommon for a guy to have over 100 fights. Now-a-days, that is a rarity. I think the quality of fighters now is better and SRR might have lost to many of the great fighters that we've had over the past 20 years. The sport is constantly evolving so that's understandable. I don't see why some people are jumping all over you for asking a simple question.

No doubt that SRR was a great fighter! There is always someone who can beat you no matter what and it is impossible to predict who could and couldn't have beaten SRR. I look at it like this. He is the GOAT because of what he was in his time period. Nobody has touched that.

Comment

to be honest i'm not the most knowledgable person on older boxing (my knowledge significantly deteriorates once you go further back than the '80s) but i have watched almost any Robinson i could find online numerous times and i am definitely of the opinion that he is the greatest ever.

he had no weaknesses that i can see... he had speed, power and precision in both fists, incredicle instincts and ring smarts... great footwork, decent defense, great chin, not to mention one of the greatest resumes ever, although it can surely be said that it's fluffed up by a few bums, but fighting as regularly as he did it's no surprise... and also he never slipped up against them ever which is still a massive achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tito View Post
                  kobe beats mj in a lot of categories reed.

kobe's only problem is his small hands. he loses his grip and/or gets stripped easier than mj. mj had better handling of the ball.

mj's defense is a bit better too but he benefits from having scottie behind him.

kobe is a better shooter than mj and bigger and more athletic. what mj had is better shot selection though.
                  Yeah, uh NO... kobe is not a better shooter than jordan

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                    Nah, not at all. The old timers used to fight so often that it wasn't uncommon for a guy to have over 100 fights. Now-a-days, that is a rarity. I think the quality of fighters now is better and SRR might have lost to many of the great fighters that we've had over the past 20 years. The sport is constantly evolving so that's understandable. I don't see why some people are jumping all over you for asking a simple question.

No doubt that SRR was a great fighter! There is always someone who can beat you no matter what and it is impossible to predict who could and couldn't have beaten SRR. I look at it like this. He is the GOAT because of what he was in his time period. Nobody has touched that.
                    Great point, I hadn't thought of it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                      Yeah, uh NO... kobe is not a better shooter than jordan
                      yes he is.......

jordan's percentage is higher ONLY because A. he had better shot selection (kobe sometimes just jacks it up) B. defenses back then wasn't as good or as complex as it is now and they didn't allow zones (**** kobe gets doubleteamed the moment he crosses halfcourt) C. everytime jordan misses a shot they call a foul. lol

kobe > mj

Comment

Working...
                      X