No announcement yet.

Mexico, 22 vs Puerto Rico, 41 - Lets name the Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
    Yeah he has heart, what he needs is more defense and a better gameplan. He's expecting to take people out and when it doesn't happen he's SOL. I've always said it, we have great talent in our ranks, as fighters, but we need top trainers to take them to the next level, it's just not there. It's not that they aren't good, but not top, in my opinion, I may be wrong...

Salido had a key element in his corner, Daniel Zaragosa. The guy came up with the perfect plan and Salido was not to be denied. People were focused on his 11 losses, not on his experience, tenacity, and toughness.

You have guys like Zaragosa, Garcia, Beristain. These guys KNOW the intricacies of the game, some of them have been there, as fighters themselves. We need more of that, former fighters who turn trainers, to help the current crop keep getting better.
    You are 100% correct and there's a reason for it, boxing goes farther back in Mexico on that level than it does in PR. PR has amazing talent but you are right, there have been few trainers that have emerged with that type of recognition.

It's funny because I read in a Mexican news paper that Beristain extended an offer to train Cotto a few years back. Invited him to Mexico to live and train, I thought that would have been better for him than Stewart IMO.

One thing Nacho does is really get into the technicalities of the sport.

I was very surprised that JuanMa couldn't defend the right hand, he has had problems with it in the past and this fight was no exception.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
      You are 100% correct and there's a reason for it, boxing goes farther back in Mexico on that level than it does in PR. PR has amazing talent but you are right, there have been few trainers that have emerged with that type of recognition.

It's funny because I read in a Mexican news paper that Beristain extended an offer to train Cotto a few years back. Invited him to Mexico to live and train, I thought that would have been better for him than Stewart IMO.

One thing Nacho does is really get into the technicalities of the sport.

I was very surprised that JuanMa couldn't defend the right hand, he has had problems with it in the past and this fight was no exception.
      I remember that rumor and I was hoping Cotto would go train in Mexico. The benefits were clear:

1) Beristain is top tier, no doubt about it. He would work Cotto's defense, counterpunching etc.

2) Training in Mexico is already taking it a step further. People forget Mexico City is thousands of feet above sea level. This is not Miami, nor Caguas. The significance, it's intensive cardiovascular training, it would have helped his stamina issues...

3) Language barriers.. sure Cotto has gotten better at English, but communicating clearly sure helps get every message across...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hallaqsillaq View Post
        I remember that rumor and I was hoping Cotto would go train in Mexico. The benefits were clear:

1) Beristain is top tier, no doubt about it. He would work Cotto's defense, counterpunching etc.

2) Training in Mexico is already taking it a step further. People forget Mexico City is thousands of feet above sea level. This is not Miami, nor Caguas. The significance, it's intensive cardiovascular training, it would have helped his stamina issues...

3) Language barriers.. sure Cotto has gotten better at English, but communicating clearly sure helps get every message across...
        Yes, all great points.

If the rumor was true, I wonder why Cotto didn't take the opportunity? Maybe because he has that comfort level in PR? Don't know but I would have loved to see that combination of fighter trainer.

I have always liked Cotto in and out of the ring, classy guy and a true warrior. Sometimes getting away from your comfort level is the best thing for you, especially a vet like Cotto.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
          Yes, all great points.

If the rumor was true, I wonder why Cotto didn't take the opportunity? Maybe because he has that comfort level in PR? Don't know but I would have loved to see that combination of fighter trainer.

I have always liked Cotto in and out of the ring, classy guy and a true warrior. Sometimes getting away from your comfort level is the best thing for you, especially a vet like Cotto.
          The comfort level is the problem, and the reluctance to change the usual.

Comment

• Lets Go WARCE!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• WV2 is starting to look like a fish outta water!

Comment

• I seen that coming, Arce was getting too reckless, lets see what happens next!!!

Comment

• Just take a knee now Willy, take a knee!

Comment

• They should have let him take a knee! Damn Towel Throwers!

Comment

• Another rican victim lol. Jorge Arce new 122 pound champ

Comment

Working...
                      X