Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Shanes MAIN Problem last night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
    Mosley doesn't have the Tito power or the DLH height and controlling jab to embarass someone like Mayorga...Mosley fights on instinct and is hyperactive with his bursts...

that kind of style WILL allow someone like Mayorga to have success...but Mosley showed why he is considered great in the same vein as DLH and Tito by eventually winning and winning dramatically...

but yes Mosley is also old and not what he used to be at this higher weight...but he's still able to compete
    He isn't just considered great, he IS great, an ALL TIME great. The best lightweight EVER after Roberto Duran.

Watch his fights at lightweight to see his pure brilliance.

He's still unbelievable considering he's 37.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
      Maybe he just had a bad night. If he's bad in his next fight then I admit he needs to hang them up but i'd still like to see him fight atleast one more time.

That last left hook that knocked mayorga out was a peach.
      He looked like crap to me in his fight with coto...Hes looked crappy for years man.

Comment

Shane just got old as we all will/have. His best attribute was his speed and unfortunately that is the first thing to go. I give him credit for realizing it as well from his post fight comments.

Comment

I feel him being inactive for a year and fighting a awkward fight in Mayorga was his problem. He is clearly not his best anymore though.

Comment

I'll chalk it up to ring rust right now, being off for a year in your mid to late 30s is not a good idea and he seemed to get some of his rhythm back in the latter stages of the fight so right now I'll say ring rust but I could easily have a different opinion if he looks as bad in his next fight.

Edit: And also, Mayorga fought a disciplined fight, he also clinched quite a lot to smother Mosley's punches, so Mayorga's tactics had something to do with it as well.
            Last edited by Silencers; 09-28-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I think shane is still a very dangerous fighters and can still hang with the
              top level guys..I think it was just a simple case of two style's not going together
              well and mayorga was able to fight his style while mosley couldnt get into his..

He looked flat in parts but its to be expected the way Mayorga fights
              Credit to Mayorga though he really got up for this fight
              The knockout was classic Mosley stuff

Comment

DAMN you guys are just crucifying shane, it was a good win. Mayorga was fighting a pretty good fight. Come on, SSM is a natural lightweight fighting a 170 lb man who punches from all kinds of angles plus he's been inactive for 321 days.

Comment

154 is a tough weight for shane- he consistently looks better at 147 in my opinion.

154 he tries to just load up and KO, and good god last night it worked. i really was ready to write the fight off going toward the end of round 12- i was feeling really disappointed and then came the hammer. that was a good/shocking kind of moment.

but i think shane needs to stay south of 154 for his last couple fights.

Comment

IMO Shane's best days are behind him. He looked "good" against a fighter who at best would be considered average.

Personally to me this type of fights, 2 old fighters, do nothing for the sport and the only ones who profit are the promoters and maybe the fighters. I much rather remember SSM when he was at the top of his game, his skills intact. I dont quite agree that his inactivity had much to do with his performance in as much as his age creeping up on him.

It seems that for the last few years the "in" thing in boxing is to match up over-the-hill fighters. Promoters are trying to pull fights out of their asses. I guess the question should be "is boxing waning for lack of younger promising fighters?" What do you think?

Comment

I think it was a variety of things. It wasn't realy age. I feel it was the mix of fighting at 154, even more so against a guy that outweighed him by 10 pounds. That's a LOT, its hard to make a heavier guy respect you.

It was almost a year since he's been off. That had a lot to do with it

Mayorga wasn't good, but he was awkward in the sense that its hard to predict somebody like that. Its like sparring with a less experienced guy at the gym, they come out fresh and wild, so your not used to that. Plus Mosley wasn't using his left hook going back as much as I would have liked him to.

Comment

Working...
                      X