No announcement yet.

Klitschko-Peter, Jones-Calzaghe: Random Fight Musings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangler View Post
    I kinda want Vitali to win, but don't think he will. I hope for and expect a close decision win for RJ, although Joe can definitely outwork him. Bernard's got enough left to trouble Pavlik, but not enough to beat him imo. It's a given Povetkin will be stopped by Wlad. And **** Ruiz-Valuev.
    The writer errs when he prejudicially floats the idea that Kklitschko is "nearly forty". He could easily have said "nearly 35" and been more truthful, since Klitschko is now just 37, which is closer to 35 than is 40.

I've just looked at his record, and beyond saying that except for the first round against the WBO Champ Herbie Hide, the last round (rd 9) against Chris Byrd, and 2 rounds against Lewis, I couldn't find a single other round he'd lost, in his 37 fights.

He KO'd Herbie in the second rd, retired injured against Byrd at the end of the 9th, and the dr. erroniously stopped the fight against Lewis at the end of the 6th. In the Lewis fight, although the judges gave him 4 rounds to Lewis's 2, I gave him the whole 6.

As well, of the 35 fights he's won, (his 2 losses by injury when winning by a mile) 34 have been by KO. Only the then unbeaten, 6'8" Timo Hoffmann, lasted the distance, for the EBU title, although losing every round.

And although 3.5 years from his last actual public fight, he has been in the ring fairly consistently in training. When he retired, he'd been winding up his training for Rahman at the end of Nov 2005. His knee iwas healing in 2006, and in Jan 2007 announced that he'd already been in the gym for 6 weeks. He continued training for his McCline fight until in mid 2007 it was cancelled because of a back surgery. It is now 2008 and he's been in training for the past 4 or more months.

So although not battle-hardened by public fights, he has been constantly in training, except for 2006 and a few months in 2007. And he's 37 years old, supposedly the new prime for heavyweights, has taken almost NO punishment in his career so far, has never been knocked off his feet, and is a genuione killer in the ring. He's a very clever ring tactician, also a devastatingly accurate puncher, and always ready to go 12 rounds.

Now, I think I've painted Klitschko with the most laudatory brush I can think of, although all completely accurate, so.......as Larry Merchant once asked about Wladimir Klitschko, ...."he's so perfect....so I wonder...what's wrong with him???

My answer is....I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by braddman View Post
      Peter, who couldn't stop a fat middlweight, is going to stop Vitali, who has never even been down and has won EVERY fight he has won (except ONE) by knockout?

Dream on.
      hello? do you have any idea what 4 years of inactivity plus nasty injuries does to you? plus he's now 37 yrs old. the chances of him making it to the ring and not injuring himself during the fight is slim as hell let alone the rustiness. there's a reason why no one has ever won a title after 4 years out of the sport with no tune up fights. its tough as hell. Im a vit fan but I dont see him being able to pull it off. if he doesnt injure himself before or during the fight I think he'll quickly tire and peter will just put too much pressure on him for his older frail body to endure. I'd be surprised if vit is even 50% of his old self

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
        hello? do you have any idea what 4 years of inactivity plus nasty injuries does to you? plus he's now 37 yrs old. the chances of him making it to the ring and not injuring himself during the fight is slim as hell let alone the rustiness. there's a reason why no one has ever won a title after 4 years out of the sport with no tune up fights. its tough as hell. Im a vit fan but I dont see him being able to pull it off. if he doesnt injure himself before or during the fight I think he'll quickly tire and peter will just put too much pressure on him for his older frail body to endure. I'd be surprised if vit is even 50% of his old self
        Beez, you make alot of sense and if it were about anyone else I'd agree. Four years is too much, too long, and too late, but here's the thing...Vitali has a brother for a sparring partner who is, simply put, the best in the division. I can't believe that doesn't keep him (and Wladimir too, for that matter) fit and ready to fight at nearly any moment. You'd be surprised if he's 50%....I'd be surprised if he's not 90% or better. I'll give you every point I have if the fight makes the distance. No bet, I'll just give 'em too you. And furthermore, I'm hoping to find something nearing 2/1 to lay a ****load of cash on. If I can, I'll probably place a bet nearing 5 digits, maybe more. 'Cause even at 90%, he'll be shutting down Peter inside of 6 rounds. And mark my words, a left hook/uppercut will start the big Nigerian's trip to the canvas.

Nobody, and I mean nobody should ever step into the ring with Vitali Klitchko, not until his hair is grey and he walks with a cane. Not sure who on Peter's team thought up this brilliant idea, but it was a big muther****ing mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickman View Post

Nobody, and I mean nobody should ever step into the ring with Vitali Klitchko, not until his hair is grey and he walks with a cane. Not sure who on Peter's team thought up this brilliant idea, but it was a big muther****ing mistake.
          It's hilarious that a 37 year old Vitali is being written off by the same people who think B-Hop can continue winning until he is 55 on experience and guile.

Comment

this article is nothing new same **** as anyother poster on here will tell u

Comment

Working...
            X