Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I'm about to say may hurt their fans, but Cotto and Taylor were overrated!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefer Madness View Post
    That's what they said about Barrera when he lost to Junior Jones.
    Barrera was not overrated when he lost to Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Boofdatruth View Post
      Who are the others??? lol. Comparisons aren't the same thing. They are comparisons Cotto fan.
      If you have read any of my posts about Cotto, you would know that my thoughts on him are pretty realistic. I never said he was the best or invincible, and I did admit that Margarito would be his most difficult challenge. More difficult than a fight with Mayweather.... those are still my feelings and they are not outrageous.

If you honestly want to compare Baldomir to Margarito and say that they are equal or have equal qualities/abilities, they Im not sure what anyone can tell you to convince you otherwise. But I will tell you that it is RIDICULOUS to say that Baldomir is on the same level as Margarito.

Comment

I'll jump in to say that both Cotto and Margarito were considered overrated by many hard core fans.

What impressed me about Cotto was his ability to showcase his boxing skills as well as his brawling style against Margo.

But on that night against Cotto, Margo was not going to be denied. He was not going to lose focus on his main objective of winning.

Margo appearing one dimensional, could've beaten any decent fighter on that night.

As far as Cotto and Taylor, If they have it inside of them still, they can make
        dramatic comebacks that will put them in back on top of the contender list.

Comment

If a fighter remains undefeated, it means he just did not try hard enough.

You lost me...
          What I am saying is if a fighter remains undefeated throughout their career, it is an indicator that they took a more careful path and did not seek out the toughest competition they could have unless they had a lot of luck on their side.

Every fighter has weaknesses that can be exploited. Every fighter has a potential opponent(s) that has their number.

With all the multiple belts that are available these days, fighters can script their destiny by cherry picking their opponents. In fact, that is the norm this day and age as fighters are handled more as long term investments for promoters.

Comment

Cotto and Jermaine Taylor were overrated. They are 2 fighters who when against inferior comp looked superb. When pit against guys who were not overly athletic, and used a basic style against them, they both failed miserably. Margs and Pav have talent don't get me wrong, but Jt and Cotto were looked at as guys who were going to be the future of boxing. Maybe they still can be. I'm the first to call them overrated based on their styles.

Jermaine Taylor had NO infighting skills, and that is why he lost to Pav. Cotto had no right hand, and no inside game against a stronger fighter and that is why he lost. J.T could box, but he had no leverage on his shots. Cotto is an excellent boxer who couldn't fight when backed up. J.T had great offense but no defense. Cotto had an excellent offense and no defense. Both fighters failed at trying to rest during a fight. They fought too hard, and hurt themselves with the way they chose to fight the men who beat them. Ali said you had to train the body to take damage to protect the head, and Duran said you have to be able to know how to rest during a fight which is why he never seemed to get tired in fights. Words of wisdom.

Yes, Cotto and J.T were overrated and I don't care what any of you say. They fought their hearts out, but when pit against their equal they failed miserably. I commend J.T for going after an immediate rematch. Margs didn't even fight Williams in an immediate rematch. We'll wait and see what Cotto does. Imo he has to rematch Margs.
            Taylor I agree with you, but cotto I don't. I think marg got into cottos head and we was ****ed mentally. Taylor had too many controversial decisions and honestly when he fought ouma and spinks, even though both will make you look bad, he did not look impressive at all. Cotto will come back strong, and probably rematch marg end of 2009.

Comment

If you honestly want to compare Baldomir to Margarito and say that they are equal or have equal qualities/abilities,

No, that is not what I'm saying...

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
                I'll jump in to say that both Cotto and Margarito were considered overrated by many hard core fans.

What impressed me about Cotto was his ability to showcase his boxing skills as well as his brawling style against Margo.

But on that night against Cotto, Margo was not going to be denied. He was not going to lose focus on his main objective of winning.

Margo appearing one dimensional, could've beaten any decent fighter on that night.

As far as Cotto and Taylor, If they have it inside of them still, they can make
                dramatic comebacks that will put them in back on top of the contender list.
                Exactly. Both of them have the potential to become great fighters still. A loss is a loss. Every all time great had losses, so why is a loss now looked upon as a nail in the coffin. I don;t get the way some people think. Cotto/Taylor and Margarito/Pavlik fought their hearts out in their fights. Margarito and Pavlik prevailed, but I will never write off Cotto and Taylor as they both lost while giving it their all.

Comment

What I am saying is if a fighter remains undefeated throughout their career, it is an indicator that they took a more careful path and did not seek out the toughest competition they could have unless they had a lot of luck on their side.

Who are the examples...past and present of these types of fighters that you would name?

Comment

If you honestly want to compare Baldomir to Margarito and say that they are equal or have equal qualities/abilities,

No, that is not what I'm saying...
                    Then dont compare PBF/Baldomir to Cotto/Margarito

Baldomir was the worst champion ever.... he was the MOST overrated fighter that I have ever seen in the history of boxing. He sucked, he less capable than any credible fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                      Exactly. Both of them have the potential to become great fighters still. A loss is a loss. Every all time great had losses, so why is a loss now looked upon as a nail in the coffin. I don;t get the way some people think. Cotto/Taylor and Margarito/Pavlik fought their hearts out in their fights. Margarito and Pavlik prevailed, but I will never write off Cotto and Taylor as they both lost while giving it their all.
                      Nobody is saying their careers are over. We are pointing out there flaws. I have written a post in the past that talks about fans who consider a fighters career over after a loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X