No announcement yet.

Better to quit or be stopped?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_godslayer View Post
    Good points, although its also the job of the corner to protect their fighter. Maybe im sick, especially in light of the condition Diaz ended up in recently but i would have much rather Cotto get KO'd or TKO'd than the way it did end.
    I am over the moon that Tony won as i backed him and won a fair few points doing so and also IMO the way the fight ended does not detract in any way from his victory. (in response to The Machine's post)
    Well, it certainly seems like it when all of the threads on the front page seem to be more about Cotto quitting rather than Margarito winning. The discussion still revolves around Mayweather and Cotto, although neither are the real 'players' in the division anymore.

Can people finally get over it that they saw a man take a vicious beating in the late rounds and not able to continue? It seems like the hate that people have for Cotto's fans is now directed at the man.

Cotto was devastated in round 7, found a way back in the fight until finally going down in the 11th round, he acted like a gentleman afterwards and offered no excuses. There is no need for this trash.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
      Well, it certainly seems like it when all of the threads on the front page seem to be more about Cotto quitting rather than Margarito winning. The discussion still revolves around Mayweather and Cotto, although neither are the real 'players' in the division anymore.

Can people finally get over it that they saw a man take a vicious beating in the late rounds and not able to continue? It seems like the hate that people have for Cotto's fans is now directed at the man.

Cotto was devastated in round 7, found a way back in the fight until finally going down in the 11th round, he acted like a gentleman afterwards and offered no excuses. There is no need for this trash.
      Given the fact that I 100% agree with the above statement I am hoping that you can see the fact that my thread is not about Cotto quitting, more asking the question about boxers in general.
      I also posted the fact that I did indeed think that Cotto had quit after seeing the end of the fight again, however this does NOT mean that I do not respect him as a boxer and im too old to be bothered with all this hating and playing. I come on here for reasoned, quality debate with other knowledgeable boxing fans .... of which there are SOME on here!!

Comment

i would never quit if i was pro boxer. i would die trying to get up.

Comment

better to be knocked out then to be a quitter

Comment

Originally posted by the_godslayer View Post
            Given the fact that I 100% agree with the above statement I am hoping that you can see the fact that my thread is not about Cotto quitting, more asking the question about boxers in general.
            I also posted the fact that I did indeed think that Cotto had quit after seeing the end of the fight again, however this does NOT mean that I do not respect him as a boxer and im too old to be bothered with all this hating and playing. I come on here for reasoned, quality debate with other knowledgeable boxing fans .... of which there are SOME on here!!
            I'm simply annoyed by people who say that Cotto 'quit like a dog', I can see your point of view though.

As for this thread, it's generally better to 'go out on your back' as this backlash against Cotto shows, boxing fans do not take 'quitting' lightly it seems.

I don't really care either way.
            Pernell Whitaker whom I rate one of the greatest boxers of all said that he would quit if his skin were to be cut in a fight.

I did not think any lower of him because of it, and when the time came, he showed great heart when his skills had already diminished against younger, stronger fighters.

It's better to quit when it gets dangerous. Duk Koo Kim certainly went out like a warrior but it would've been for the best had he, or his corner and the referee been wise enough to stop the fight.
            Not only did Duk Koo Kim die of his injuries, but his mother and the referee of the fight killed themselves because of it, feeling guilt over his death.

Comment

He should not have quit, I would prefer to be stopped.

In all honesty he should have cheated, if it gets to the point where you feel to quit it isn't a boxing match any more it's a brawl. If you get DQd so what really, you would lose anyway. He should have headbutted and low blowed in a way that it would break Margarito's momentum and give him time to slow down.

Comment

I don't know if 'quit' is the right word. He knew it was time to give it up, he was taking a pummelling. He did the right thing in my eyes. He gets to fight another day.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                  He should not have quit, I would prefer to be stopped.

In all honesty he should have cheated, if it gets to the point where you feel to quit it isn't a boxing match any more it's a brawl. If you get DQd so what really, you would lose anyway. He should have headbutted and low blowed in a way that it would break Margarito's momentum and give him time to slow down.
                  Surely not???
                  Cotto already has a reputation for fouling in fights he is winning, can you imagine the uproar if he was fouling Tony just because he couldnt win?
                  Besides the fact that the whole low blow issue was decided very early in that fight, Cotto struck 1st, Tony answered with a low blow of his own which had to let Cotto know he couldnt do that and get away with it, kinda like when Hatton came out and blatantly hit Tszyu low after being on the receiving end more than once.

Comment

Some of you are acting like boxing is a life or death issue on par with war.

This is a sport. A brutal, beautiful sport that pits man against man, sometimes involving guys who have had little choice but to fight since they were kids, but still... a sport. Pride, paychecks, wins, and reputations are on the line. Those are noble causes but not on the same level as causes wars are fought over; freedom, religion, or simply the right to live or die.

Pride is important to a man, but you'd have to be a stubborn fool to stand in there and take unnecessary punishment when all hope was gone, at the risk of serious lifelong injury or death. Cotto was no longer able to defend himself, he could barely stand up. He was just able to do enough not to take a serious shot to the head that would have knocked him unconcious; he can't be faulted for not being able to continue. There is NO shame in surviving to fight another day.

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh View Post
                      That foolish coon reffing the fight was more into watching the fight than reffing the fight.
                      Don't get me wrong, he refereed the fight well. But he wasn't about to stop it. He didn't want to be the one to get blamed for a premature stoppage or a controversial stoppage.

Wouldnt you?

Comment

Working...
                      X