Explain your decision on who you think will win on July 26th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain your decision on who you think will win on July 26th

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito

Now, since i'm Mexican-American, my nationalistic pride would tell me to go with Margarito. Then theres a little thorn on my side as to why I believe Cotto will win. Let me explain it from my point of view.

Lets start off with the Tijuana Tornado. On December 2nd, 2006 he got more than he wished when he fouhgt top-contender Joshua Clottey. Clottey got off to a good start with his determination. Margarito looked doomed when he was violently rocked with a brutal Clottey left in the 3rd or 4th round.Clottey was beating with a high workrate and dertemination, Cottos two best weapons. Clottey leading on the scorecards in the 5th broke his right hand. That dropped both his determination and high workrate. Now don't get me wrong any of this could happen to Cotto, but Cotto hasn't showed a history of injuring his hands. Eventually, Margarito won an uninspiring decision as the crowd booed him. Then he had the Cotto fight in his grasp, but he let it go in favor of fighting his mandatory Paul Williams. In that fight Margarito looked nervous, sort of tense. He was visibly very cautious and not taking many risks in the first half of the fight. He seemed somehow determined that Willaims was gonna outbox him. In the 11th round Margarito gave in and beat on Williams almost knocking him down or even out. He lost this fight. Then he fought Golden Johnson, a welterweight journeyman, well past his time. Well before the fight Margarito had said he planned to use a faster approach at the beginning. Only problem with that Johnson was the perfect guy to do that with. Margarito breezed past Johnson knocking him down 3 times in the 1st and eventually the stoppage. Then came his rematch with Kermit Cintron. Cintron a guy who had struggled with a guy the caliber of Jesse Feliciano showed in the 1st and 2nd round boxing effectively can slow Margarito down. Problem is Cintron has never been that good boxer. He knocked out Cintron in the 6th with a left to the body, but by that time Cintron looked determined to lose.

Don't get me wrong, Margarito has WAY more than a punchers chance of beating or even KOing Cotto. Problem is Cotto has all the advantages to take over Margaritos weakness'. Cotto has determination, skill, the only thing thats lacking and gives Margarito the best chance to win is Cottos chin. I say Cotto by a 12 round decision after a really hard fought battle. Leaving room for a rematch. Now dont reply asking me then why I got Margarito in my avy, Margarito is one of my favorites but so is Cotto and I'm just an honets boxing fan giving his opinion.

Bob Arum.

Comment

Cotto by UD. i picked both Judah and Mosley to beat but proved me wrong. What suprised me is his speed against Mosley, i thought he was just average when it comes to speed. Quality of fighters too both in 140 and 147.

Comment

Cotto will win because he is the superior fighter

Comment

Cotto simply becuase he has more than one ways of winning and has a lot more tools and ability. He can box and Brawl and will be very effective when doing it. It will be a great fight with two way action, but eventually Cotto takes it and pulls it out.

Comment

I'm picking Cotto for this one. I just think he is vastly superior and very adaptable. Simple as that.

Anyone want to bet?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevbutler View Post
              I'm picking Cotto for this one. I just think he is vastly superior and very adaptable. Simple as that.

Anyone want to bet?
              I will take it. 5k. Margs over Cotto.

I am undefeated at betting. It would be an honor to maybe lose to you.

Nice drawing you did in your avatar, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                I will take it. 5k. Margs over Cotto.

I am undefeated at betting. It would be an honor to maybe lose to you.

Nice drawing you did in your avatar, BTW.
                Thank you. I'll take that bet. You have a lot more points than me so I wont feel bad taking them!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevbutler View Post
                  Thank you. I'll take that bet. You have a lot more points than me so I wont feel bad taking them!
                  Be warned. I don't lose.

May the best armchair critic win. Sig it and it's on.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                    Be warned. I don't lose.

May the best armchair critic win. Sig it and it's on.
                    I'm 95% sure on this fight. I got it in my sig.

Comment

Working...
                    X