No announcement yet.

Hypocrisy in Calzaghe Criticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrisy in Calzaghe Criticism

There is a lot of criticism going around for Calzaghe at the moment, predominantly from American posters and while I can accept some of the critcism as justified, I cannot accept the hypocritical nature of it.

Joe Calzaghe is not the first and nor will he be the last boxer to choose an easier, older fighter for better money. That's me accepting that Kelly Pavlik is a harder fight than Roy Jones Jr. He is, but not by the distance some of you seem to think.

Three famous examples:

* Larry Holmes fighting Muhammad Ali
    * Marvin Hagler fighting Roberto Duran
    * Manny Pacquiao fighting Marco Antonio Barrera (again)

Each of them had younger and/or more deserving opponents they could have fought, yet not one of them has had the harsh criticism Calzaghe has. Setting aside facing old 'name' fighters, what about the other fighters 'ducking' worthy opponents? Rocky Marciano 'ducked' Floyd Patterson, Riddick Bowe 'ducked' Lennox Lewis and in a very appropriate example, Roy Jones Jr 'ducked' Dariusz Michalczewski. Why haven't they had the same criticism?

You could argue that they have all escaped retrospective criticism by appeasing critics afterwards in other fights, with the exception of Marciano, but it doesn't change the fact that they either 'ducked' another fighter or fought an old 'name' fighter, and in some cases did both. Calzaghe should be criticised for fighting Roy Jones Jr and he may not appease the critics with a fight afterwards, but he has still only been guilty of this boxing crime once, the same number of times each of the legendary fighters I have listed above were guility. Don't forget that Calzaghe himself has been the victim of 'ducking' as well, in the now famous cases of Ottke and Hopkins.

This admittedly justified criticism is hypocritical and has been taken by some haters as fuel to attack Calzaghe; drudging up the same old-same old about his apparantly weak early career resume and his 'slapping', despite this all being ill-considered, ignorant bull****. The worst part is that some respectable posters critical of the Jones fight have been entangled in this, purely in anger at the decision. Calzaghe deserves criticism, but he doesn't deserve the hate he is getting.

I'm personally of the opinion that Calzaghe will fight Pavlik afterwards anyway, but even if he doesn't, the criticism needs to be detached from the hate.

oh yea! Roy did duck Dariusz Michalczewski...Dariusz was WBO champ and UNDEFEATED at the time....Roy didn't want nothing to do with dude...before somebody jump outta a RJJ 747 without a parachute...I love Roy(no ****) I just call it like I see it....and no matter how you put it..Calz doesn't want nothing to do with the Ghost!

Comment

the difference is....

HES ENDING HIS CAREER WITH THESE WINS.... and there the best ones he has.

if he continues to fight harder fights, younger champions, after roy... then thats a different story

Comment

I agreed with much of what you said. But I think a lot of it hinges on your statement that many of the boxers mentioned "escaped retrospective criticism by appeasing critics afterwards in other fights, with the exception of Marciano." Every champion is entitled to an easy fight from time to time, but with Calzaghe, there's a real chance that this could be his last fight and, therefore, his last chance to secure a legacy among the truly elite.

Look at Marciano -- an excellent, world class fighter, but he should not be mentioned as one of the top 10 heavies of all-time because of a dearth of quality opposition and the fact that he didn't fight the most dangerous challenger in Patterson.
        Last edited by Steel Town USA; 07-15-2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
          oh yea! Roy did duck Dariusz Michalczewski...Dariusz was WBO champ and UNDEFEATED at the time....Roy didn't want nothing to do with dude...before somebody jump outta a RJJ 747 without a parachute...I love Roy(no ****) I just call it like I see it....and no matter how you put it..Calz doesn't want nothing to do with the Ghost!

I'm not saying he necessarily does, but the point is that he wouldn't be the first big name fighter to 'duck', yet he is getting more vicious hate than any of the fighters I named.

As I said, I believe Calzaghe vs Pavlik will happen anyway.

Comment

Calzaghe needs an IBO belt to shut the haters up.

Comment

The hypocrisy of late is underlined with Pavlik fighting Williams. Ppl say it's not on or good that Williams is jumping up 2 weight divisions to fight him. Yet it's ok for Kelly to do it, if he were to fight Joe.

Another is the justification so often of so many fighters and fights, is there, fight at this weight to prove yourself first. Yet ppl think Pavlik after one defence against a bum, is worthy of just jumping up in probably 2 weight divisions to take on the #1 guy. What happened to work your way up? And then ppl say Calzaghe should have moved up to LHW to get into a position to fight the top guys at LHW. Well, erm, isn't that what Kelly should do if he wants to fight the big boys at different weights?

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                the difference is....

HES ENDING HIS CAREER WITH THESE WINS.... and there the best ones he has.

if he continues to fight harder fights, younger champions, after roy... then thats a different story
                Why though? He has fought harder younger champions already. I don't see why it's worse to finish with an easier fight.

Originally posted by Steel Town USA View Post
                I agreed with much of what you said. But I think a lot of it hinges on your statement that many of the boxers mentioned "escaped retrospective criticism by appeasing critics afterwards in other fights, with the exception of Marciano." Every champion is entitled to an easy fight from time to time, but with Calzaghe, there's a real chance that this could be his last fight and, therefore, his last chance to secure a legacy among the truly elite.

Look at Marciano -- an excellent, world class fighter, but he should not be mentioned as one of the top 10 heavies of all-time because of a dearth of quality opposition and the fact that he didn't fight the most dangerous challenger in Patterson.
                I believe his legacy is as secured as it ever can be, regardless of whether he fights Pavlik or not. Some people, who naively presume that the best fights out there can be made easily, look at Calzaghe's earlier career and stubbornly settle that he was overprotected, disregarding his later legacy-defining fights to suit their argument. If he fought and beat Pavlik I honestly believe people would just say that Pavlik was overrated. All because some posters can't accept that Calzaghe vs Hopkins and Calzaghe vs Jones Jr couldn't have been made or couldn't have been easily made before now.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
                  Why though? He has fought harder younger champions already. I don't see why it's worse to finish with an easier fight.

I believe his legacy is as secured as it ever can be, regardless of whether he fights Pavlik or not. Some people, who naively presume that the best fights out there can be made easily, look at Calzaghe's earlier career and stubbornly settle that he was overprotected, disregarding his later legacy-defining fights to suit their argument. If he fought and beat Pavlik I honestly believe people would just say that Pavlik was overrated. All because some posters can't accept that Calzaghe vs Hopkins and Calzaghe vs Jones Jr couldn't have been made or couldn't have been easily made before now.
                  if those harder younger champions were bernard hopkins and roy jones 6 years ago, this debate wouldnt even be happening..

but his best wins are against a 43 yr old bernard... and POSSIBLY a 40 yr old roy...

and thats what he wants to end his legacy on...

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    if those harder younger champions were bernard hopkins and roy jones 6 years ago, this debate wouldnt even be happening..

but his best wins are against a 43 yr old bernard... and POSSIBLY a 40 yr old roy...

and thats what he wants to end his legacy on...
                    So he doesn't deserve any respect because he didn't fight those 2 ppl years ago (not really his fault).

And he deserves almost less respect some make out, for facing them now?

Even though they're noway near as past theyre prime as some conveniently make out?

It's like saying jump through this hoop and we'll respect you. Then when he does saying, "sigh, you might aswell have just not bothered and done something else".

Comment

Working...
                    X