[IMG]http://www.*********.com/cotto_marg_pr1.jpg[/IMG]
More pics soon...
May 23, 2008
By Francisco Rodriguez
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the rhythm of “bomba y plena”, hundreds of Puerto Ricans received WBO welterweight champ Miguel Angel Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs) and his next rival Antonio “The Tijuana Tornado” Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) during their fourth event of the promotional tour of the title bout “The Battle – La Batalla”. The last stop of the week-long tour took place on Friday, May 23, in Cotto’s hometown, Caguas, at “Las Catalinas Mall”, where Top Rank’s Chairman, Bob Arum, promised that this fight will be the best fight that fans will see in years.
“Both will go in to fight and not play around,” said the promoter. “It will be one of the most memorable fights ever. Both of them are gentlemen outside the ring, but when they get to the ring they are violent.”
“This fight will be very intense, a lot of offense and very little defense,” continued to say Arum.
As for Cotto and Margarito, both boxers demonstrated confidence on going home with the belt on July 26. With the home crowd cheering him on, Cotto assured his fans that he will do everything within his power to come on top for Puerto Rico.
“I have not disappointed any of you yet on 32 tries, I don’t expect to start now,” said the quiet champ. “I’m going to be prepared and focused for whatever Margarito brings to the ring.”
Cotto thinks this fight will be very similar to his two fights from last year against Zab Judah and Shane Mosley, just needs to make a few adjustments. He indicated that the only thing on his mind is beating Margarito.
Meanwhile, the challenger is extremely confident that he will be the champ after the fight, which will take place at the MGM Grand, in Las Vegas. He even said that he will be willing to give Cotto the rematch.
“I am a Mexican champion that is going to leave everything on the line to come out with a victory and take the belt to Mexico,” commented Margarito, who in his last fight beat the also Puerto Rican Kermit Cintron for the second time to win the IBF welterweight title.
Arum reminded the crowd that this is the latest title fight between one of the best rivalries in boxing between Puerto Rico and Mexico. “Mexico has won 20 and Puerto Rico 38 fights in this great rivalry. We’ll see what happens in this next epic battle,” said Arum.
Margarito went further and said that this fight will determine who the best welterweight in the world is. He added that he has beaten the two previous Puerto Ricans he has faced, and this will not be any different.
“I’m not worried that (Cotto) is undefeated, I’m confident I’m going to beat him,” assured Margarito. ‘It’s not going to be the hardest fight for me but it will be the most important. It will open doors.”
But Cotto is equally confident that his preparation will prepare him for whatever Margarito has to offer. “With my intense training, I’ll be ready for Margarito’s power and bring the belt back to Puerto Rico,” indicated Cotto. “My goal is to dominate the 147 lbs. class.”
Both fighters stated that they were happy to be in Puerto Rico and thankful of the warm welcome that they received from people of the island. “The real winners on July 26 will be the fans because it’s going to be a great fight,” added Cotto.
Arum finished the press conference announcing that the tickets for the bout are on sale now and the prices range from $100 to $700. The card will also be available on HBO PPV.
By Francisco Rodriguez
Photos: Chris Farina/Top Rank
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the rhythm of “bomba y plena”, hundreds of Puerto Ricans received WBO welterweight champ Miguel Angel Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs) and his next rival Antonio “The Tijuana Tornado” Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) during their fourth event of the promotional tour of the title bout “The Battle – La Batalla”. The last stop of the week-long tour took place on Friday, May 23, in Cotto’s hometown, Caguas, at “Las Catalinas Mall”, where Top Rank’s Chairman, Bob Arum, promised that this fight will be the best fight that fans will see in years.
“Both will go in to fight and not play around,” said the promoter. “It will be one of the most memorable fights ever. Both of them are gentlemen outside the ring, but when they get to the ring they are violent.”
“This fight will be very intense, a lot of offense and very little defense,” continued to say Arum.
As for Cotto and Margarito, both boxers demonstrated confidence on going home with the belt on July 26. With the home crowd cheering him on, Cotto assured his fans that he will do everything within his power to come on top for Puerto Rico.
“I have not disappointed any of you yet on 32 tries, I don’t expect to start now,” said the quiet champ. “I’m going to be prepared and focused for whatever Margarito brings to the ring.”
Cotto thinks this fight will be very similar to his two fights from last year against Zab Judah and Shane Mosley, just needs to make a few adjustments. He indicated that the only thing on his mind is beating Margarito.
Meanwhile, the challenger is extremely confident that he will be the champ after the fight, which will take place at the MGM Grand, in Las Vegas. He even said that he will be willing to give Cotto the rematch.
“I am a Mexican champion that is going to leave everything on the line to come out with a victory and take the belt to Mexico,” commented Margarito, who in his last fight beat the also Puerto Rican Kermit Cintron for the second time to win the IBF welterweight title.
Arum reminded the crowd that this is the latest title fight between one of the best rivalries in boxing between Puerto Rico and Mexico. “Mexico has won 20 and Puerto Rico 38 fights in this great rivalry. We’ll see what happens in this next epic battle,” said Arum.
Margarito went further and said that this fight will determine who the best welterweight in the world is. He added that he has beaten the two previous Puerto Ricans he has faced, and this will not be any different.
“I’m not worried that (Cotto) is undefeated, I’m confident I’m going to beat him,” assured Margarito. ‘It’s not going to be the hardest fight for me but it will be the most important. It will open doors.”
But Cotto is equally confident that his preparation will prepare him for whatever Margarito has to offer. “With my intense training, I’ll be ready for Margarito’s power and bring the belt back to Puerto Rico,” indicated Cotto. “My goal is to dominate the 147 lbs. class.”
Both fighters stated that they were happy to be in Puerto Rico and thankful of the warm welcome that they received from people of the island. “The real winners on July 26 will be the fans because it’s going to be a great fight,” added Cotto.
Arum finished the press conference announcing that the tickets for the bout are on sale now and the prices range from $100 to $700. The card will also be available on HBO PPV.
More pics soon...
Comment