It looks like these two might be trying what they did last year again. One thing that bothers me is Margarito's opponent selection as opposed to Cotto's. HBO better not buy that fight.
This was in Rafael's blog. Arum also mentioned Oscar's plans and a potential fight with Pac in September. I dont know about any of you, but I see no reason for that fight to happen. makes no sense.
With Cotto coming off the big win against Mosley, Arum would love to match him with De La Hoya in May. If not De La Hoya, Arum would to match him with Floyd Mayweather, assuming Mayweather defeats Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8. However, neither fighter is very interested in facing Cotto at this point, even though Cotto brings a large fan base and exciting style to the table. Arum said Cotto-Mosley sold more than 400,000 pay-per-view subscriptions, which makes it the second-most successful PPV of the year behind only the record-breaking Mayweather-De La Hoya fight, which did 2.4 million buys. Mayweather-Hatton will also surely surpass 400,000.
In any case, Arum is thinking about Cotto's Plan B so he can keep him on a March-June-fourth quarter fighting schedule.
Without a De La Hoya or Mayweather fight, Arum wants to match Cotto with rugged contender Joshua Clottey, whom Arum also promotes, in March on HBO in either Atlantic City or Puerto Rico. HBO owes Cotto one more fight, too, under the terms of a mini-contract they did earlier this year. Clottey would have to get past Shamone Alvarez on Dec. 20.
Arum said he would put Antonio Margarito on Cotto's March undercard and, if they both win, match them in June on HBO PPV at New York's Madison Square Garden on the eve of the annual Puerto Rican Day parade, a date Cotto has fought on the past three years. The New York fans got a look at Margarito last week on the Cotto-Mosley undercard as he dusted Golden Johnson in the first round. If you ask me, Cotto-Margarito is one of the best action fights that can be made in boxing.
For Margarito's March fight, Arum said he's thinking about matching him with former two-time lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo, who was last seen by most people getting destroyed by Hatton in June. Castillo did return recently in Mexico to win a welterweight bout. Arum knows he'll have trouble selling a Margarito-Castillo fight to HBO, so he is not married to Castillo as the opponent "but that's the fight I would like to make," he said.
Pavlik
In any case, Arum is thinking about Cotto's Plan B so he can keep him on a March-June-fourth quarter fighting schedule.
Without a De La Hoya or Mayweather fight, Arum wants to match Cotto with rugged contender Joshua Clottey, whom Arum also promotes, in March on HBO in either Atlantic City or Puerto Rico. HBO owes Cotto one more fight, too, under the terms of a mini-contract they did earlier this year. Clottey would have to get past Shamone Alvarez on Dec. 20.
Arum said he would put Antonio Margarito on Cotto's March undercard and, if they both win, match them in June on HBO PPV at New York's Madison Square Garden on the eve of the annual Puerto Rican Day parade, a date Cotto has fought on the past three years. The New York fans got a look at Margarito last week on the Cotto-Mosley undercard as he dusted Golden Johnson in the first round. If you ask me, Cotto-Margarito is one of the best action fights that can be made in boxing.
For Margarito's March fight, Arum said he's thinking about matching him with former two-time lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo, who was last seen by most people getting destroyed by Hatton in June. Castillo did return recently in Mexico to win a welterweight bout. Arum knows he'll have trouble selling a Margarito-Castillo fight to HBO, so he is not married to Castillo as the opponent "but that's the fight I would like to make," he said.
Pavlik
Comment