http://www.modernghana.com/GhanaHome...ZSUk1FOUVZek09
Ghana’s hope of getting a second major world title before the end of the year has suffered a jolt as Joshua Clottey’s December 1 opponent, IBF welterweight champion, Kermit Cintron, has opted for another opponent.
The Puerto Rican will now defend his title against Jesse Feliciano (15-5-3) in California on November 23.
Clottey (32-2,19 kos) was originally scheduled to challenge Cintron (28-1, 26 KOs) for his IBF title in Atlantic City, New Jersey, but unfortunately the Puerto Rican failed to sign the official contract for the fight.
This was confirmed by Clottey in an exclusive telephone interview from his Bronx base in the USA last Monday.
“Cintron is also scared of me and because of this he refused to sign the contract which is the legal document binding him to the fight. He wants to avoid me probably because he knows I will pose a bigger threat than he expects,” Clottey said in a disturbed tone.
Clottey also revealed that the current WBO champion, Paul Williams, also refused to fight him because he (Clottey) posed too much of a threat.
He told the Daily Graphic that the immediate measure to remedy this new development is to fight hard to become the number one contender since the champion would have no option but to fight him in that status.
“I have to fight an elimination and become the number one contender and then Cintron will have to fight me at all cost,” he explained.
In view of this, his promoters, Top Rank, and manager, Mr Vinny Scolpino, are working around the clock to get him an opponent for an IBF elimination bout.
According to Clottey one Miguel Rodriguez has agreed to fight him in the eliminator which is expected to come off late next month or early December.
Earlier on, Brooklyn-born Luis Collazo was scheduled to fight Clottey in an IBF eliminator, but he also chickened out.
The 30-year-old Ghanaian said though he was disappointed at the development he was still training seriously, despite cancelling a scheduled sparring session with Miguel Angel Cotto in Peurto Rico ahead of his November 10 WBA welterweight title fight with Shane Mosley.
“After a careful thought I realised that he (Cotto) will learn my fight style and that will be bad for me because he will find it easy fighting with me if we ever meet in a serious fight. Besides his camp could not meet my conditions so I backed out,” he said.
Ghana’s hope of getting a second major world title before the end of the year has suffered a jolt as Joshua Clottey’s December 1 opponent, IBF welterweight champion, Kermit Cintron, has opted for another opponent.
The Puerto Rican will now defend his title against Jesse Feliciano (15-5-3) in California on November 23.
Clottey (32-2,19 kos) was originally scheduled to challenge Cintron (28-1, 26 KOs) for his IBF title in Atlantic City, New Jersey, but unfortunately the Puerto Rican failed to sign the official contract for the fight.
This was confirmed by Clottey in an exclusive telephone interview from his Bronx base in the USA last Monday.
“Cintron is also scared of me and because of this he refused to sign the contract which is the legal document binding him to the fight. He wants to avoid me probably because he knows I will pose a bigger threat than he expects,” Clottey said in a disturbed tone.
Clottey also revealed that the current WBO champion, Paul Williams, also refused to fight him because he (Clottey) posed too much of a threat.
He told the Daily Graphic that the immediate measure to remedy this new development is to fight hard to become the number one contender since the champion would have no option but to fight him in that status.
“I have to fight an elimination and become the number one contender and then Cintron will have to fight me at all cost,” he explained.
In view of this, his promoters, Top Rank, and manager, Mr Vinny Scolpino, are working around the clock to get him an opponent for an IBF elimination bout.
According to Clottey one Miguel Rodriguez has agreed to fight him in the eliminator which is expected to come off late next month or early December.
Earlier on, Brooklyn-born Luis Collazo was scheduled to fight Clottey in an IBF eliminator, but he also chickened out.
The 30-year-old Ghanaian said though he was disappointed at the development he was still training seriously, despite cancelling a scheduled sparring session with Miguel Angel Cotto in Peurto Rico ahead of his November 10 WBA welterweight title fight with Shane Mosley.
“After a careful thought I realised that he (Cotto) will learn my fight style and that will be bad for me because he will find it easy fighting with me if we ever meet in a serious fight. Besides his camp could not meet my conditions so I backed out,” he said.
Comment