No announcement yet.

Why did Duran quit against Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterODisaster View Post
    excuses are for asseholes, Leonard beat that azz so bad in th rematch, the man said "no more!" Enough said you ****ing Duran apologists!!!!!! Alll the excuses are just making him look and sound like a bigger ***** man, did SRL give excuses as weak as he was food poisoned, etc, etc...??? Take a long look in the mirror Duran fans, he beat Ray, then once Ray prepped for him, the rematch was a massacre for you limited fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excuses just make Duran look more and more like the quitter ***** we all know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND IF HE WAS LIMTED HOW IN THE **** DID HE LAST SO LONG.........SRL WAS LIMITED ONCE HIS SPEED LEFT HIM HE DIDINT HAVE ****.......DURAN HAD SPEED NOT SRL SPEED BUT HE WAS FAST HAD GREAT FOOT WORK GREAT FAINTS AND HE WAS TOUGH AS NAILS SO IF HE WAS LIMITED .....TELL ME WHY HE LASTED LONGER THAN ALL THE FIGHTERS IN HIS ERA..............HE IS THE GREATEST FIGHTER EVER

Comment

You are kidding me right Gixxer or are you ******ed? He even lost BIG to Sugar Ray in 1989, then went on to lose many more of his fights after that, so what the hell are you talking about punk????
      I think it's more a sad thing that he stuck around longer than he should have and got beaten by b level fighters when he was past his prime more than it is a testament to the man's longevity Gixxer!

Comment

excuses are for asseholes, Leonard beat that azz so bad in th rematch, the man said "no more!" Enough said you ****ing Duran apologists!!!!!! Alll the excuses are just making him look and sound like a bigger ***** man, did SRL give excuses as weak as he was food poisoned, etc, etc...??? Take a long look in the mirror Duran fans, he beat Ray, then once Ray prepped for him, the rematch was a massacre for you limited fighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! The excuses just make Duran look more and more like the quitter ***** we all know he is!!!!!!!!!!!!
        pea brain.....

Comment

You are kidding me right Gixxer or are you ******ed? He even lost BIG to Sugar Ray in 1989, then went on to lose many more of his fights after that, so what the hell are you talking about punk????
          I think it's more a sad thing that he stuck around longer than he should have and got beaten by b level fighters when he was past his prime more than it is a testament to the man's longevity Gixxer!
          Your an idiot......seriously you really are. Look at when they had there 3rd fight. The 3rd fight means nothing the first 2 are what counts. Like Gixxer said Duran is top 3 ATG. He won a legit MW title from Iran Barkley. Duran had speed, tremendous power (who else has carried there power up the weight classes as well as Duran has).

Duran is also much slicker on defense than many remember. This is because his offense overshadows his very good defense of catching, slipping, and shoulder rolling punches.

Your also forgetting that he held his own against the best of his era even though he was at a huge weight disadvantage. (Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Barkley, Benitez, Buchana, DeJesus). You call Duran limited and a coward, but what coward goes up 30lbs and fights the very best at all the in between weights?

Comment

Excuses, excuses, get over it, he tanned Duran's hide and made him a quitter in the rematch, end of story folks! Are you going to try to make up anymore excuses as to why, did he have a hangnail or some other bull**** story that caused him to get thoroughly outclassed in the rematch with SRL???

Good god, SRL was the better overall fighter, you may have another opinion, but see it for what it is, he beat SRL in a decision, then was beaten into quitting in their rematch, end of ****ing story you Duran lovers. I hate when fans of a fighter just can't admit that a favorite of theirs lost fair and square, and/or another fighter was better!!!

Hey, your Duran loving buddy Gixxer is the one that brought up this "durability, and longer career than Leonard" crap, I just showed him it wasn't really true that it made duran look worse, not better than before.

Comment

I like Duran and Leonard both; really it's hard to say who had the better career, or who was the better fighter. Most "all time p4p" lists give the edge to the guys who moved up in weight the farthest and fought the toughest competition. On that reckoning Duran is way ahead of Leonard, but you could draw it up otherwise, looking at the record versus common opponents or something like that. One thing you can't mention though is Duran's losses after 1989; that would be like criticizing Ray Robinson for his late losses, which no one does.

Comment

Leonard was smart and he had Duran beaten before the 2nd fight was even officially announced. Leonard heard about Duran putting on a lot of weight after their first epic match. He then made an offer to fight Duran in a little over a month or he fights someone else besides Duran.

Duran took the fight with just enough time to shed his weight but not enough for conditioning and training.

Excuse? Tell you what, YOU lose 25 pounds in 4 weeks and fight for 15 rounds against one of the most terrific fighters of the past 50 years: Sugar Ray Leonard.

And oh.....add in diarrhea into the equation. Then call me if you beat a hall of famer.

But in hindsight now....SRL on his toes against the flat footed Duran (had he not quit), I still think SRL would have won.

Comment

For the record, I didn't criticize him for it, just used it to show Gixxer that what he was saying was ridiculous.

Duran was a great fighter, I don't deny that, but I can't stand fans that can't admit that their favorite was bettered by another fighter. Excuse after excuse makes the fighter in question just look worse in my opinion, don't tarnish the mans image by creating excuses for his losses, hardly ANY fighter goes through his career undefeated, even the best of the best.

Sugar ray Leonard gave duran a lesson in their rematch, he simply did,end of story, just deal with it.

Comment

Because Arcelino Freitas needed someone to look up too.

Comment

Just like I can say that Ray lost the first fight because he underestimated duran and completely fought the wrong fight against Duran and that is why he lost. BUT that wouldn't give credit to duran then and he deserved it for winning the first fight. No excuses, Ray lost, Duran won.

The second fight, all excuses aside went how it did because ray's style is all wrong for Duran when he uses his speed and boxes and moves instead of trading with duran flat footed. I hate to say look at 1989, but if Ray was slower and less of himself at the time and still easily beat duran then because of his style just matching up well with durans. A master boxer like Ray Leonard will almost always beat a fighter like Duran as long as he's got a good beard. The speed and constant movement and counter punching while frustrating him Defensively just beats duran, but only a select few had the skills to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X