Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of Calzaghe-Manfredo again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Warren makes offers for his fighters to fight over here there is nothing stop taylor's promoters making a counter offer for Joe to go there after all Warren is a british promoter who promotes fights in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Miksterious View Post
      It was supposed to be a stepping stone...it didnt work.

Like I've said since the fight, the premature stoppage hurt Calzaghe way more than anyone else. People want ridiculous money to fight in the UK now, through fear of the same thing happened. Its a good excuse, cos they probably all know that Calzaghe is a superior boxer to them now anyway and this is a good way of getting out of it. This is backed up by the fact that none of these guys ever approach Calzaghe with an offer, they just either shout about him, reject his offers, or make an equally unrealistic counter-offer.

The option to fight in America is there and I've no doubt that Joe would be happy to go, but Warren is probably filling his head full of "You can make more money selling out a big stadium here, you'll only get cheated if you go over there anyway, we can get the big guys here, dont you worry about it" etc.

Truth is, Warren can probably make himself a great deal more money from having the fight here, so that is what he's pushing to see happen.
      Yeah, I agree with you that the quick stoppage may have given people second thoughts about going over there and getting the short end of the stick. What's bad about it is that Calzaghe was going to win the fight anyway. He didn't need the ref's help...

Comment

[QUOTE=satori555;2293168]who or what is a calzaghe[/QUOTE)

LOL - I like my calzaghe's with extra pepperoni and cheese....

Seriously though, Warren loves to call out American fighters, as long as they will come to his house, be willing to fight for less money, and have Warrens' judges scoring the bout. Also, it helps if the fighter he is calling out is past his prime by several years before making the challenge.

He never sends his fighters to the U.S.A., instead he makes meaningless challenges to get press headlines - Warren is a joke....

Comment

Originally posted by $iN View Post
          Yeah, I agree with you that the quick stoppage may have given people second thoughts about going over there and getting the short end of the stick. What's bad about it is that Calzaghe was going to win the fight anyway. He didn't need the ref's help...
          Yeah, but thats only two people's faults. Terry O'Connor (the ref) for stopping the fight early and Manfredo for not fighting back whatsoever all round.

I dont imagine that Calzaghe went into training for the fight hoping that he'd get a premature stoppage. He wanted to knock Manfredo out and there is no doubt that had the ref left it a bit longer, the result would've only been more emphatic for Calzaghe. It wasnt like he was willing it from the ref like we see some fighters doing. He didnt turn around and indicate to the ref that he felt Manfredo was out. He just kept throwing punches.

Comment

yea he didnt even truly beat the guy.. coundt hurt him.. the only thing he hurt was his hand.. very conveniant stoppage...

if joe dont take roy jones offer to give joe 60% and fight in UK means joe a straight up *****...

sure roy is past his prime.. but he is better opposition than basicly any fights hoe had in a long time.

Comment

You dont appear to be able to read very well if you think that you are agreeing with anyone who has discussed the stoppage in here lately.

Me and $in had both just agreed that the stoppage was very INconvenient for Calzaghe.

Why the **** would Joe fight RJJ?
              Last edited by .Mik.; 04-18-2007, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miksterious View Post
                You dont appear to be able to read very well if you think that you are agreeing with anyone who has discussed the stoppage in here lately.

Me and $in had both just agreed that the stopped was very INconvenient for Calzaghe.

Why the **** would Joe fight RJJ?
                joe would kill todays rjj and at the same time prove nothing atall,useless fight

Comment

Originally posted by azza View Post
                  joe would kill todays rjj and at the same time prove nothing atall,useless fight
                  Id agree, but a name like Roy Jones Jr. no matter how shot he was is going to look much more impresive than some fairly solid contenders like Bika and Manfredo in hindsight...He ought to take the fight, IF hes not fighting Kessler or any other big names. Jones is still a quality opponent anyway.

I dont care what anyone says, Kessler has been the #1 challenge to Calzaghe for a long time, and is undefeated with a pretty long career. It would be a great name on Calzaghe's record, regardless what he thinks. They just need to fight, who cares whos 'fault' it is it aint happened.
                  ________
                  BUY GRINDERS
                  Last edited by Steak; 02-11-2011, 03:56 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Soundtraveler;2294191]
                    Originally posted by satori555 View Post
                    who or what is a calzaghe[/QUOTE)

LOL - I like my calzaghe's with extra pepperoni and cheese....

Seriously though, Warren loves to call out American fighters, as long as they will come to his house, be willing to fight for less money, and have Warrens' judges scoring the bout. Also, it helps if the fighter he is calling out is past his prime by several years before making the challenge.

He never sends his fighters to the U.S.A., instead he makes meaningless challenges to get press headlines - Warren is a joke....
                    excatly.. its funny how calzaghe is being defended, he himself claims he wants to fight in the states,and does what..?? not a ****ing thing about it.. how the **** can you defend him and his fight with manfredo, which was excatly ment to make him recognisable to the mainstream american fan, nothing more nothing less..

and some say, why should he go to the us, wéll what the hell was manfredo about..?? why ****in bother with manfredo..

he has talked about moving up in weight, what has he done?? NOTHING

there has been talk about SO SO many fights, and stil his fans claim, everybodys at fault except joe.. for christ sake, hes a god damn grovn man, capable of making his own decisions.. its not warrens fault, it not his divorce´s fault, it´s his own fault.. yes its rjj, its toney, its taylor, its hopkins, its kessler, and the list goes on.. its CERTAINLY not joe´s (SARCASM)

Comment

Originally posted by azza View Post
                      It would mean more than wins over Bika and Manfredo...

Comment

Working...
                      X