No announcement yet.

The Sport of Boxing & Instant Replay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sport of Boxing & Instant Replay

By Bill Calogero - In January, New Jersey became the first State to allow promoters to provide instant replay for Professional Boxing. Since that announcement, not much has been talked about the issue; at least not to me. [details]

What a lousy idea.

Comment

Yo Bill, Rodrigo can't punch for his life. With a healthy left arm, I stick and move him all night. Good stuff BTW

Comment

Seems like a good idea since they do it in between rounds. It'd be better if they could do it without taking three minutes though. At least it’s worth trying.

Even a great referee can make a bad call the action takes place so fast. The people at home who think they're so much better than the ref are watching instant replays.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dude View Post
          Seems like a good idea since they do it in between rounds. It'd be better if they could do it without taking three minutes though. At least it’s worth trying.

Even a great referee can make a bad call the action takes place so fast. The people at home who think they're so much better than the ref are watching instant replays.
          My thoughts as well, It wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't for the possible 3 min delay, if they could have an official(or 2) who's sole perpose is to review the replay then they could let the action continue. besides if a cut is involved, shouldn't they check the replay only when the fight is stopped due to that cut?

Comment

I would be all for it....especially the part about whether it was a legit KD or not and if a cut was caused by a punch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by RAESAAD View Post
              I would be all for it....especially the part about whether it was a legit KD or not and if a cut was caused by a punch or not.
              I totally agree with this.

Comment

It could be good, time will tell.

As far as the referees being good, get me in there cause I been there. Im good.............Rockin'

Comment

It could be a good idea. There has to be a replay official, and there can be no extra time taken. He just reviews on his own as the fight goes on and only gives his input when asked by the referee who wants a second opinion, or didn't see something.

Then you get into the whole can of worms of what falls under instant replay... cause of cuts, yes. But low blows? Any illegal actions? Knockdowns? Wow, it could really be a mess. I don't know. I think as long as everything goes through the referee, then it might work. They should expiriment with it and see. It might cause more problems than it solves....

Comment

I can see this being disastrous. Replays in team sports is one thing but while refereeing mistakes happen in boxing the referee is right on top of the action the whole time. Occasionally the ref doesn't see things but I can't really see replays correcting this.

Comment

Working...
                    X