Hatton will defend title against Ndou-Rabah winner

Collapse
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GEOFFHAYES
    Juy Hayes
    Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
    • Mar 2006
    • 6547
    • 349
    • 7
    • 14,036

    #1

    Hatton will defend title against Ndou-Rabah winner

    (I was supposed to put a question mark after 'winner' )
    --


    Ricky Hatton has decided to retain his IBF junior welterweight world title by agreeing to fight the winner of Naoufel Ben Rabah and Lovemore Ndou next. The International Boxing Federation (IBF) had been insisting that Hatton commit to facing his mandatory title defence, instead of the proposed clash with Mexican Jose Luis Castillo which was to go ahead in the USA in June.

    ********** has learnt that Hatton's UK promoter Denis Hobson contacted IBF President Marian Muhammad on Friday USA time and advised that Hatton will defend against the winner of Ben Rabah and Ndou in June, most likely in the UK. Providing he were to win, Hatton would then face Jose Luis Castillo in November on one of two HBO dates offered to Hobson.

    Muhammad called IBF supervisor Ray Wheatley in Australia on Saturday morning Sydney time and directed that the IBF No.4 rated Ben Rabah-IBF No.3 Ndou fight to be held at Homebush on Sunday afternoon was to be an official IBF eliminator for the mandatory No.1 position, as originally arranged.

    The Hatton and Castillo co-feature on January 20 at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas, had been presented by HBO as the final step before the two boxers meeting either on June 2 or 23. ********** was unable to contact any HBO Executives for comment at this time due to the late Friday night hour in the USA, New York time.

    Top Rank CEO Todd duBoef, who promotes Castillo, was shocked to hear of Hatton's decision when contacted by ********** late on Friday evening.

    "That is news to us. I never heard anything of that," he said.

    DuBoef said he could not understand why Hatton was talking about fighting the winner of Ben Rabah and Ndou next when he already had a contract to fight Castillo.

    "It would be pretty strange," he said, "when they have executed contracts with Top Rank. It's news to me. We have a contract."

    It is also understood that the Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas had already been agreed upon by Hatton and Castillo's promoters as the venue for the fight.

    When Castillo defeated Herman Ngoudjo on January 20 in a official WBC junior welterweight eliminator, Top Rank and his management team subsequently declined a chance to fight current WBC world champion Junior Witter to instead fight Hatton in June.

    Ben Rabah's American agent Sampson Lewkowicz told ********** late on Friday evening that IBF President Muhammad had assured him that Hatton would definitely fight the winner of Ben Rabah and Ndou next.

    "I spoke with Marian on Friday at lunch time," he said, "and she had explained that Hatton's promoter Denis Hobson had rung saying that Hatton will be very proud to defend the IBF title against his mandatory contender next."

    ********** will be seeking comment from promoter Denis Hobson when he wakes on Saturday morning UK time.

    ********** reported on Tuesday that IBF President Marian Muhammad initially received a telephone call from Hatton's American co-promoter Art Pelullo on Monday advising that Hatton's father Ray would be writing to advise that the "Hitman" from Manchester would be relinquishing the IBF title to fight Mexican Jose Luis Castillo in June. A little later Muhammad then received a call from Richard Poxson, part of Hatton's management team in the UK, who advised that Hatton has been offered the Castillo fight and the boxer and his team are having a meeting on Thursday night to see if they will accept it.

    President Muhammad told ********** on Monday that it was not possible for Hatton to fight Castillo first in June, even if he were to commit to fighting the winner of Ben Rabah and Ndou immediately after.

    "No, he can't do that," she had said, "because when Juan Urango fought him, Juan Urango fought him on an exemption because the mandatory was already due. You can't get two exemptions to further delay a mandatory. If Ricky Hatton says he will fight Castillo next, I will have to vacate the title."
    Last edited by GEOFFHAYES; 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM.
  • Castillofan
    Banned
    Gold Champion - 500-1,000 posts
    • Feb 2006
    • 725
    • 38
    • 4
    • 796

    #2
    If this is true, a lot of people have a right to be pissed at Hatton an dmay take legal action. I don't know if he is having second thoughts about fighting Castillo, but I do know that the events of setting up that last HBO card was to execute a massive fight with Castillo in June. That means that Castillo prepared and HBO spent a lot of money to have that showcase evening knowing that they were investing in a much bigger fight down the line.

    Comment

    • phallus
      the lizard of ahs
      Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
      • Sep 2004
      • 12066
      • 4,352
      • 3,349
      • 50,135

      #3
      Originally posted by Castillofan
      If this is true, a lot of people have a right to be pissed at Hatton an dmay take legal action. I don't know if he is having second thoughts about fighting Castillo, but I do know that the events of setting up that last HBO card was to execute a massive fight with Castillo in June. That means that Castillo prepared and HBO spent a lot of money to have that showcase evening knowing that they were investing in a much bigger fight down the line.
      maybe hatton wants an easy tune up fight agianst ben rabah - that's who the winner will be. why not, the castillo fight will be a war, also it let's hatton keep the belt an extra few months until castillo beats him

      Comment

      • GEOFFHAYES
        Juy Hayes
        Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
        • Mar 2006
        • 6547
        • 349
        • 7
        • 14,036

        #4
        Word on the street is that Ricky wants to fight at the City of Manchester Stadium in the summer.

        ****sake. Hope that **** no true.

        Comment

        • phallus
          the lizard of ahs
          Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
          • Sep 2004
          • 12066
          • 4,352
          • 3,349
          • 50,135

          #5
          Originally posted by GEOFFHAYES
          Word on the street is that Ricky wants to fight at the City of Manchester Stadium in the summer.

          ****sake. Hope that **** no true.
          let me guess, u don't wanna see ricky lose in his hometown... it doesn't matter where it's gonna be, castillo will hand hatton his ass

          Comment

          • mic573
            Undisputed Champion
            Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
            • Jun 2004
            • 4646
            • 98
            • 14
            • 11,280

            #6
            Hatton doesn't need a belt, he has much bigger challenges to face and bigger paydays. Why he even fought for the IBF title is beyond me. It was a total waste of time.

            Comment

            • Shanus
              Banned
              Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
              • Mar 2006
              • 14918
              • 997
              • 1,217
              • 18,545

              #7
              The IBF belt means **** all, he should fight Castillo.

              Comment

              • Castillofan
                Banned
                Gold Champion - 500-1,000 posts
                • Feb 2006
                • 725
                • 38
                • 4
                • 796

                #8
                Either way this is highly irregular. I can imagine a scenario in which a fighter could sue another fighter for pulling this. If I was expecting to have a big fight where I was going to make a in the region of a million dollar purse, and the other guy signed a contract and backed out, you would think the victim of it all would be within his rights to go for some compensation.

                Perhaps in light of Oscar de la Hoya mentioning Hatton as a potential opponent, Hatton has decided that he doesn't want to go through hell with Castillo when that money is in the offing. I think Castillo would be a defining fight and perhaps the most physical of Hatton's career, and it's not one you want to have to go through and then still be having to prove a point.

                I think De La Hoya was just telling British television what they wanted to hear when he said that he would fight Hatton in England, but if Hatton takes that seriously, he could be in line to fight De La Hoya in September.

                Comment

                • eazy_mas
                  Pride kills the champ
                  Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 9758
                  • 244
                  • 308
                  • 17,756

                  #9
                  but for Ndou and Ben Rabah they worked hard to get a shot at the title and i dont think they want to back down for anything because for those two the title is all they have to get recongtion and publicity

                  Comment

                  • GEOFFHAYES
                    Juy Hayes
                    Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 6547
                    • 349
                    • 7
                    • 14,036

                    #10
                    I actually like the sound of this now, with Ricky fighting Oscar in Sept!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    TOP