James Toney: Farewell to A Great Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigSlick View Post
    List the great fighters Toney has beaten
    He beat many quality fighters. And has accomplished alot, also hes has the skills of an all time great. The man is able compete with fighters in their 20's because of this skill...

Achievements
    • The WBA Heavyweight Champion 4/30/2005 Ruled no-decision
    • The Ring ****zine “2003 Fighter of the Year”
    • USA Today “2003 Fighter of the Year”
    • World championship fights - 10-1-1
    • Rated WBO #1, The Ring #5, WBC #3, WBA #3, IBF #4 at heavyweight
    • Former IBF cruiserweight world champion
    • Former IBF super middleweight world champion, 3 successful defenses
    • Former IBF middleweight world champion, 6 successful defenses
    • Former USBA light heavyweight champion
    • The Ring ****zine “1991 Fighter of the Year”
    http://www.jamestoney.com

Comment

This article looks like it was written by a 7th grader...

Comment

I still think he could compete and win fights. He just can't beat the top competition. I hate when an old fighter loses we automatically say his career is over. These guys have been boxing for years and put in a lot of hard work, they shouldn't be forced out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by lefhooktodabody View Post
          I still think he could compete and win fights. He just can't beat the top competition. I hate when an old fighter loses we automatically say his career is over. These guys have been boxing for years and put in a lot of hard work, they shouldn't be forced out of the game.
          On the other hand, just because they were once great fighters, they shouldn't get a pass to embarrass themselves and tarnish their legacies by fighting for too long.

Comment

Jimmy Young, Jerry Quarry, Joe Frazier

all smallish heavyweights who took too many shots and ended up punchdrunk....Young and Quarry worse than Frazier

Of course Toney could beat allot of guys. So what. He needs to get out bc he cannot win the title and he will end up slurring terribly in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WestChester View Post
              all smallish heavyweights who took too many shots and ended up punchdrunk....Young and Quarry worse than Frazier

Of course Toney could beat allot of guys. So what. He needs to get out bc he cannot win the title and he will end up slurring terribly in 5 years.
              That's completely off. It all depends on the person. George Chevalo(smaller heavyweight) took alot of bestings and talks like a scholar. Frazier is not punch drunk. He's doing better the Ali if you sak me.

Comment

James doesnt have the power to be dominant at hw, he hit Peter with some big shots but they didint do anything to Peter, he should fight at cruiser or light heavy cause hes done at hw...

Comment

Smallish heavyweights

Have you heard Joe Frazier speak? He sounds better than ali, but is that the baseline?

Yeah it depends on the individual. Camacho, Terry Norris, Hearns, Jimmy Young, Quarry, Ali, Frazier, Rid**** Bowe, Holyfield. When you box for 15-20 years, it catches up

James toney, whose speech is slowing slightly but perciptibly, needs to call it a career.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSlick View Post
                    List the great fighters Toney has beaten
                    wow ur pretty ******.

So beating mccallum twice, nunn, kalambay, barkley, jirov, williams and other decent fighters means nothing to you? Go **** off you idiot.

Comment

I think what they were saying in the title was to say good-bye to the Toney that they may have gotten to know from the past. Every fighter reaches that summit or peak, the one where the next step is going back down and all of the ones to follow do the same. James is at that point, he no longer elludes the shots but instead absorbs them. His eyes have dulled over time, he no longer sees them that milli-second after delivery. Dulled by time, not by blows. That man could fight!.............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X