No announcement yet.

Broner: The Management Advice Column

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broner: The Management Advice Column

Over at NSB the public thrashing/trashing of the unloved, real-life panto villain Adrien Broner is being celebrated like the biggest, most expensive, free Christmas present or generous end of year company bonus. Everything is seemingly right with the boxing world again.

Everyone, except for a few brave, lone voices, is celebrating this particular defeat (and yes, I am guilty as well) but perhaps it is time at GBS to consider things more maturely and with an eye on the future?

Adrien undoubtedly has exceptional talent, he has a charisma that is unique and which drags the casual fan away from his usual diet of NFL, football and basketball and he showed some proper class and a warrior's spirit by taking a serious beating from a hard-case like Maidana.

Now let's pretend we are the people tasked with putting Adrien back together again; what medicine are you prescribing to put this potential ATG back on track?

Please try to avoid cheap, slag-off, NSB one-liners and focus on how you'd sort out Adrien's career management, boxing training and PR problems.

Ok I'll be the first to answer, first off, I doubt he has the skill or talent to be ATG and thinking like that affects how he should be managed.

First off, I'd tell him to clean up his personal life, no more whores, criminal activities and living the celebrity lifestyle. He has to live THE life, be on weight, be focused in training and take his opponents seriously.

Then I'd start the road to recovery, a Paulie rematch would bring huge interest and held in MSG could be big. It's a winnable fight for Broner, then get him a fight against someone like Cano or Bundu, well known enough and not good enough to pose a real threat. Maybe get a name Brit over for a 3rd come back fight for some BS interim title against someone like Purdy who is easily beatable.

Then theres nothing to do but have him fight a top name, Porter, Maidana 2, maybe Alexander. Thats the road to recovery I'd have plan. Notice no move down to 140 cos there are too many real hard hitters there. Broner can be a financial star if he is brought along carefully for the next year before a truly tough opponent.

Comment

No more idiotic behavior like tearing up money and flushing it down the toilet. Get back in the gym, keep a low profile, rewatch the fight and learn from his mistakes. He could have easily tied up Maidana before the knockdown. Maidana missed with a wide left hook and Broner kept backing up, Mayweather would have tied him up instead. That's what Mayweather does to keep the fight at his pace by keeping the other guy tied up, not getting into rhythm.

Maidana has lost before and he came back. Beat a named and beatable opponent like Pac did to Brandon. Get people to believe in his talent again. I mean, after Pac beat Brandon, people were suddenly putting him in line with Mayweather? Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        Ok I'll be the first to answer, first off, I doubt he has the skill or talent to be ATG and thinking like that affects how he should be managed.

First off, I'd tell him to clean up his personal life, no more whores, criminal activities and living the celebrity lifestyle. He has to live THE life, be on weight, be focused in training and take his opponents seriously.

Then I'd start the road to recovery, a Paulie rematch would bring huge interest and held in MSG could be big. It's a winnable fight for Broner, then get him a fight against someone like Cano or Bundu, well known enough and not good enough to pose a real threat. Maybe get a name Brit over for a 3rd come back fight for some BS interim title against someone like Purdy who is easily beatable.

Then theres nothing to do but have him fight a top name, Porter, Maidana 2, maybe Alexander. Thats the road to recovery I'd have plan. Notice no move down to 140 cos there are too many real hard hitters there. Broner can be a financial star if he is brought along carefully for the next year before a truly tough opponent.
        Think Maidana's done him a favour.. The fact he's now been made to realize, he's not the next messiah, will do him the world of good

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          Think Maidana's done him a favour.. The fact he's now been made to realize, he's not the next messiah, will do him the world of good

He already said "I can go still party like I won the fight." "I'll still be in your club."

He's a joke, he lost a fan in me.

Comment

broner needs to get rid of his trainer for one and hire roger mayweather and train with him full time and work on his defensive techniques like slipping punches and countering from the shell. if he plans to use floyds style then he needs to work on it 110% and try to come close to perfecting that style. Also he needs to learn to let his hands go and not wait to see what his opponent is going to do. i would have him go down to 140lb and work his way back up to 147.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              He already said "I can go still party like I won the fight." "I'll still be in your club."

He's a joke, he lost a fan in me.
              Never rated him anyway, and I reckon his career will go similar to that of Jeff Lacy..

Comment

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
                Over at NSB the public thrashing/trashing of the unloved, real-life panto villain Adrien Broner is being celebrated like the biggest, most expensive, free Christmas present or generous end of year company bonus. Everything is seemingly right with the boxing world again.

Everyone, except for a few brave, lone voices, is celebrating this particular defeat (and yes, I am guilty as well) but perhaps it is time at GBS to consider things more maturely and with an eye on the future?

Adrien undoubtedly has exceptional talent, he has a charisma that is unique and which drags the casual fan away from his usual diet of NFL, football and basketball and he showed some proper class and a warrior's spirit by taking a serious beating from a hard-case like Maidana.

Now let's pretend we are the people tasked with putting Adrien back together again; what medicine are you prescribing to put this potential ATG back on track?

Please try to avoid cheap, slag-off, NSB one-liners and focus on how you'd sort out Adrien's career management, boxing training and PR problems.

No lateral movements is exceptional talent?

Getting tagged with wide left hooks all night is exceptional talent?

Bad footwork is exceptional talent?

Comment

Thanks for some interesting feedback...much appreciated gents. Probably, time to offer my 10 cents worth having posed the question.

The Public Relations:

There is (by and large) a consensus that Adrien must radically review the way he handles himself in public. And he needs to care about this because he has to fill venues/get ratings; in short it is a key part of his job.

If he carries on like this he'll alienate more and more fans, the key decision-makers inside the sport and the media will view the storyline as boring/predictable and move onto fresh people. There's always the next younger, breakthrough talent around the corner.

It is a question of remaining relevant, fresh and credible whilst keeping the larger-than-life personality. Adrien must hire a seasoned PR pro, take their advice and plan ahead. He's in danger of becoming cliched and should review the way Floyd remains outspoken and in the headlines whilst continuing to keep people following his career for years.

You've done the whole too-cool-for-school, boastful and outrageous thing. Time to sing a new tune and tell us some other stories.

The boxing:

There's no shame in losing to Maidana but also recognise that Mayweather's defensive talents are unique, almost freakish and that you will never reach that particular level. Find your own way.

Time to tighten that defence and in particular learn how to smother/hold when the need arises and use your speed to step away from and negate a serious, pressure fighter on the rampage who can also bomb.

Against Maidana, a lot of the shots were plain avoidable by simply getting out of range and forcing Marcos to burn-up energy by chasing and and then leave openings to be pot-shotted/demoralised on the counter. In a nutshell; you're not good enough to stand within hitting range against other elite men.

The team:

This needs looking at. It was amazing to hear the sheer chaos unfold inside the Broner corner during this fight; with Adrien having to tell the people he is actually paying for advice to calm down. It was amateur hour in there with too many voices offering little more than the bleeding obvious. No tactics offered, no overwiew of the fight or the opponent's weaknesses, no main, trusted man speaking first and getting the time/space to be heard.

The Comeback: Be humble and accept your defeat, work on your defence and put it to the test against another rugged, pressure fighter. Review your team and decide who should stay and who goes, be clear about what your best weight actually is.

Comment

I agree with your team assessment.. His corner was horrible. Throughout the fight I was like they aren't telling him not to lean back and they are not telling hints keep his hands up into full guard to parry. It was also interesting to note how they didn't tel him how to set il his shots.. They just said you need a knockout and you can tell they have up on him in the second round.

Comment

Working...
                    X