Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Burns padwork

saw this on another site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHo6vHQIB14

Like the look of his 1,2. His jab and right hand have nice pop. Some of his left hooks look nasty (body and head) but a lot of them are very 'meh'. Padwork doesn't tell you a lot though, nearly anyone with plenty practice can look impressive on them.
    Not sure he moved his head much there, but it'll depend on the intended type/nature of pad routine he's doing i'd expect.

Comment

-been deleted-
      Last edited by RightJab; 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM. Reason: Double post.

Comment

The move up in weight has been good for Ricky, he's definitely hitting with more venom these days. I really like his jab - one of the best in the game in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for the vid.....really top stuff and a nice find.

Burns really interests me as a fighter.

I genuinely thought that he was going to be the sort of bloke who would not get any further than the British, Commonwealth and European title fight merry-go-round.

The loses against Alex Arthur and Johanneson suggested that Ricky had found his level and that he'd see out his career being the kind of fighter who won a decent belt now and again but who would fail to put a decent run together that allowed him to challenge the world's best.

But I really admire the way he has kicked-on to become a legit, respected world champion and I think he is actually still improving.

He's always been a good, slick mover, supremely fit and a clean puncher but now that he is developing some proper spite to his punches he is a threat to anyone. I think Mitchell got the shock of his life when he realised that Burns was fast and also a decent, heavy hitter.

A great deal of credit also belongs to Nelson - the big boy on the pads - who is a seriously under-rated trainer.

Comment

The session is instructional so theres not a fluididity to it! I like that his motor doesn't stop while instruction is being given however I don't like that he doesn't finish his combos with defense. The pads are the perfect tools to make sure you finish with a move or a punch, he throws his finishing left hook and just stands there. Thats not good for the progression! Their approach to pads is simular to bag work when your not going to weave and roll around!
            Maybe their just not following progressions all out but the pads are instuctional but also a "finishing exercise"! To get things to be natural as to progressions you need to practice practice and then practice more so it becomes a natural progression. Ray.
            Last edited by Ray Corso; 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              The session is instructional so theres not a fluididity to it! I like that his motor doesn't stop while instruction is being given however I don't like that he doesn't finish his combos with defense. The pads are the perfect tools to make sure you finish with a move or a punch, he throws his finishing left hook and just stands there. Thats not good for the progression! Their approach to pads is simular to bag work when your not going to weave and roll around!
              Maybe their just not following progressions all out but the pads are instuctional but also a "finishing exercise"! To get things to be natural as to progressions you need to practice practice and then practice more so it becomes a natural progression. Ray.

maybe they were working on attack.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelBenn View Post
                maybe they were working on attack.
                Ray is right you should always finish an attack with good defense getting your defensive shape sound. Many fighters have been KOd and tagged when disengaging after an attack before they are safely out of range. A good example of this is Prescott Khan.

Comment

Unless your adding new sequences of combinations into the repitiore you ALWAYS finish! This is a huge part of a fighters teachings in reflexes and you want that "finish move" to become an automatic reflex! The expression for failing to finish is to "get caught looking over the fence" and "admiring your work" hahaha!!! thats what my Uncle called it!!!!
                  You roll under or step out to an angle, leave them with a jab too! Theres alot of finishing moves and options to learn. Ray.

you attack by continueing your steps in while your working combinations. You don't stop and stand in front. Again I think the session was more of a teaching segment than a working out!
                  Last edited by Ray Corso; 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X