No announcement yet.

Cleverly fought with injury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleverly fought with injury

Nathan Cleverly has revealed he went toe-to-toe with Tony Bellew for 12 rounds despite nursing a cracked rib.

Cleverly ground out a majority decision against domestic rival Bellew to retain his WBO light-heavyweight title in Liverpool last Saturday.

However, the Welshman admitted he took a risk in facing the previous undefeated challenger by kept quite a rib injury sustained in training.

"I did it when I was training in London two weeks before the fight," said Cleverly. "I did six rounds with George Groves and then another six with Chris Eubanks' boy and in the 11th he caught me on the back and cracked a rib.

"But I had a week of sparring back home planned with Sam ***ton, a heavyweight, which I had to cancel because I could not take a shot to the rib because I was in so much pain.

"I saw the doctor and the physio and they both said the only thing was rest. My dad, girlfriend, Adam Booth and Groves, who had been there when it happened, were the only ones who knew. And I also told Frank Warren.

"I gave it a couple of days and in the end I said, 'bugger it - let's gamble on him not throwing any body shots with the left'" added the 24-year-old on BoxNation TV.

"He did throw a couple of left body-shots, one which caught me flush on the rib. It just sent a shooting pain right through my body because it's a three to six-week injury. It was so painful but I refused to give in and dug deep."

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sports...t-with-injury/

**** the Welsh!

Comment

clev should give bellew a rematch right away. if clev wins that then he should retire like the bum he is for making it so difficult against a bum in the first place.

if clev loses the rematch then he should be hung drawn and quartered

Comment

Originally posted by OG Wenger View Post
        **** the Welsh!
        stfu you ****.

what nationality are we pretending to be today ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sick- View Post
          clev should give bellew a rematch right away. if clev wins that then he should retire like the bum he is for making it so difficult against a bum in the first place.

if clev loses the rematch then he should be hung drawn and quartered
          you can stfu too you ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
            you can stfu too you ****.
            what's your problem homeboy? i thought we was buddies?

let's go for a drink

Comment

Originally posted by Sick- View Post
              what's your problem homeboy? i thought we was buddies?

let's go for a drink
              Ima glass ya

Comment

Working...
              X