Bellew claims Cleverly is running scared

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellew claims Cleverly is running scared

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/s...ml?CMP=OTC-RSS

Tony Bellew has set his sights on Nathan Cleverly, with the Liverpudlian claiming the WBO light-heavyweight champion is scared of him.

Bellew stepped in at the 11th hour last week to take on Cleverly and the pair were close to trading blows at a press conference. However, Bellew was denied the chance to take on Cleverly as he failed to make the weight.

Cleverly went on to defeat Aleksy Kuziemski and has since set his sights on the veteran Bernard Hopkins. Bellew, though, is keen to persuade promoter Frank Warren to hand him a shot at Cleverly.

"I was told the pay-per-view sales had started to go absolutely crazy after the press conference," Bellew said. "Frank Warren knows the business so he's obviously going to want this fight to happen.

"He knows it is a money-spinner, it's massive, and if you ask me it's got pay-per-view written all over it."

Warren said: "It's obviously a natural fight. I'm seeing Nathan next week and we'll chat about it."

Bellew feels he has a psychological hold over Cleverly, as he said: "He doesn't like me and I don't like him. I genuinely cannot stand the sight of Nathan Cleverly.

"When I see his face I want to punch it. I don't like it. I was close at the press conference.

"He is intimidated by me. Deep down, when he goes to bed, when he closes his door, when he's all alone, Nathan Cleverly is scared of Tony Bellew. I know that."

I think this fight is going to happen. Makes sense and will make money.

Bellew is a warrior, but this will be an undeserved title shot

Comment

this would be a great domestic LHW fight but i think it will only be made if cleverly fails to land a fight with one of the american names (cloud, dawson, pascal, hopkins etc).

Comment

Good domestic match up which would sell. This will definitely happen later in the year as a PPV event. Both fighters are obviously with Warren so it will be easy to set up. Expect a strong undercard to support it as a PPV event.

It would sell much much as a grudge match than if Cleverly fought someone like Cloud, even though he is a much better opponent.

Comment

Cleverly will destroy Bellew.

Comment

I'm sure this will be done in South Wales. Both are Warrens fighters and he knows its a big draw and if Clev does get caught he's still owns the champ. Makes sense to Warren on a hundered levels.

Comment

Still not happy with the way they used the press conference to con fans into buying the PPV when this fight was always going to happen later on in the year.

Looking forward to it though and will be another good British rivalry to keep us enterained.

Comment

Should be good scrap with the amount of feeling between the two. The dislike is not for the cameras either, you can tell they just don't like each other.

Saying that, I expect Cleverly to make easy work of Bellew.

This would need a pretty strong undercard to be worthy of PPV though...

Comment

Originally posted by Calza appy View Post
                  Cleverly will destroy Bellew.
                  this ^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

clev shudnt even be world champ anyway, get this fight on

Comment

Working...
                    X