Hayemaker attempting to pit Groves against Degale

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hayemaker attempting to pit Groves against Degale

Haye offers to match Groves with Degale on April 3rd

Hayemaker Boxing have offered Frank Warren Promotions a sum of £50,000 for their super-middleweight prospect James Degale to box George Groves on April 3rd at Manchester’s M.E.N Arena. Should the fight go ahead, Degale’s duel with Groves would act as one of the chief support contests to David Haye’s WBA world heavyweight title defence, live on Sky Box Office. “We are deadly serious about making this fight for April 3rd and believe that we have made a more than fair offer for it to happen,” says Hayemaker Boxing’s Adam Booth..

“This is a fight George wants to take now, as he’s desperate to prove a point against Degale. George doesn’t want to wait and risk the fight never happening – he wants to meet Degale as soon as possible and he wants to do it on the biggest stage possible.

“You can’t get a bigger stage than a world heavyweight championship fight. Not only will the world’s media be watching, Groves and Degale would also box in front of a sold-out crowd at the M.E.N Arena. There would be plenty of incentive for both men.”

Hammersmith super-middleweights Groves and Degale are widely regarded as two of the very best boxing prospects in Britain today. The 24-year-old Degale famously won the gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is now unbeaten as a five-bout professional.

Meanwhile, Groves, the younger man at 21, is a former two-time senior ABA champion and currently undefeated in eight contests as a professional. Heavyweight champion Haye has hailed him as ‘the world’s best young fighter’.

Both boxers competed for Dale Youth ABC in the amateur ranks and paths crossed in 2006 when Groves defeated Degale by decision en-route to ABA success.

“We’re offering Degale the chance to gain revenge on the biggest boxing night of the year,” adds Booth. “Both fighters have improved dramatically since their first meeting and a rematch as pros would be a great spectacle for British boxing fans.

“This is a one-off fight offer, with no strings attached. We just simply want to put the best fighters in against the best fighters and let them have the chance to become stars. George is ready to do this on April 3rd – we’re just waiting for an answer from James Degale.”

this is in the global section, won't happen, no way.

Comment

Warren would never let this happen he will protect degale as much as he can

Comment

Groves beat De Gale as an amateur didn't he?

Comment

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...000-offer.html

Come on James, I'd get in the ring and let George spark me out for £1000.
          If this fight were to happen now, I'd definately fancy George. If it happens in 1-2 years, Degale might be favorite, at the moment George looks to be progressing faster I think.

Comment

I doubt this will happen with Frank Warren involved.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
              Groves beat De Gale as an amateur didn't he?
              Yes and he is a better prospect as a pro. He hits a lot harder and is more of a fighter and lss of a show pony than De Gale. Warren will avoid setting up a fight between them. their careers will run in parallel.

Comment

This fight is bigger, better down the road.

Comment

Not a chance in hell. Groves is way too hot for Degale to handle. And that's no disrespect to JD, at all.

IMO, Groves is the hottest British talent since Hamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                    Not a chance in hell. Groves is way too hot for Degale to handle. And that's no disrespect to JD, at all.

IMO, Groves is the hottest British talent since Hamed.
                    I wouldn't go that far, but I like Groves a lot, him, Kell brook and Cleverly are the future of British Boxing imo.

Degale, i think will end up being a bust.

Comment

Working...
                    X