No announcement yet.

The very unofficial Irish Boxing thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mickey Gomez View Post
    John Duddy is not and never will be a top ten middleweight, the Irish talk about the guy as if he's a contender. A lot of the blame lies with that promotion company in the states (whatever their name is), they did a great job marketing him but it has resulted in a fanbase that knows very little about boxing and just support him because he's Irish.

He has 0 defense, he gets beaten up by journeymen. Can you imagine if he faced some top ten competition like Sturm, Pavlik or Williams? He would be seriously hurt.
    But that doesnt really address what we are discussing now does it?

Is Duddy morer popular than other fighters with more talent? Yes! so ask yourself why?

So a Irish guy in New York love Duddy! good for him. They are hardly "real boxing fans" now are they? Being Irish is only one of the reasons behind his popularity - the others include his looks, personality and fighting style. If it was just that he was Irish then why isnt James Moore filling the MSG?

I agree with Barry to a degree. He may not be the best middleweight out there but he is better than you are making about and I find your knocking of him embarrassing to be honest.

Comment

• I'm talking about Duddy the boxer not Duddy the person. The problem is not the size of his fan base, the problem is you and other ill informed boxing "fans" rate him way above where he actually is.

He gets hit with almost every shot his opponent throws, hence the punch bag analogy.

Comment

I'm talking about Duddy the boxer not Duddy the person. The problem is not the size of his fan base, the problem is you and other ill informed boxing "fans" rate him way above where he actually is.

He gets hit with almost every shot his opponent throws, hence the punch bag analogy.
        Having a pourous defense doesnt make him a bad boxer - especially because he has demonstrated that he has a quality beard. He has been battered in a number of his fights and to my knowledge has yet to be wobbled.

But you are trying to put him down and make out he is a bum. He is not and he can win a world title as I think he can beat Sylvester. But to address your original points.

A. Hes is one of our best fighters.

B. Who over rates him? Who is building him up?? What are they saying?

Comment

• If pirog sidestep his EBU shot and goes for world honours straight after mitchell on saturday then its looking more likely we might an all ireland showdown......

Comment

• Originally posted by slapbangwhallop View Post
            to my knowledge has yet to be wobbled.

he can win a world title
            Seriously stop, you're making me laugh too hard.

A. Hes is one of our best fighters.
            Correct, he is one of our top ten fighters, but that is more down to our lack of talent than his abundance of talent.

B. Who over rates him? Who is building him up?? What are they saying?
            Just let me compile a list of the 2487569438756 people and their comments.
            Last edited by Mickey Gomez; 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Here is my piece on the Framptonator!! Enjoy!!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25032

Comment

Seriously stop, you're making me laugh too hard.

Correct, he is one of our top ten fighters, but that is more down to our lack of talent than his abundance of talent.

Just let me compile a list of the 2487569438756 people and their comments.
                When was he wobbled? Seriously I cant remember a time when he was. I stand to be corrected.

So you admit you were wrong and that he is one of Ireland's top fighters. At least that is a start.

"2487569438756 people and their comments" - sounds like you cant actually back your claim up on that either to be honest.

You really are letting yourself down here.

Comment

• Duddy v Michael Medina on the Pac u/c

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7282&cat=boxer

Comment

• If John Duddy has proved anything so far in his boxing career is that he scatters like a ***** in a fridge factory.

Comment

• Its a better opponent for duddy at least.... might get to see him live on sky sports also now too.

Comment

Working...
                      X