No announcement yet.

Premature Stoppages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premature Stoppages

Although I will accept it was right for Mike Ortega to step in when he did, to ensure that the right man won on the night, it's clear to me that yet again a fight has been ruined by an over-anxious referee jumping in just as the fight gets interesting. Does anyone agree that the rules should be amended so that they read something along the lines of "if a boxer is able to stand, or is being held up by the ropes, then the fight must continue until the boxer's knee/face makes contact with canvas", or in more simple terms: "if both fighters are standing, then BOX ON".

I would have liked to have seen Jermaine "Bad Nationality" Taylor unconscious on the ropes as Froch unloaded with everything he had on his face whilst shouting the English national anthem. Action like that will get people's attention, and draw them away from the "wrestling in drag" that is the UFC, so let's bring an end to premature stoppages. And maybe also remove the padding from gloves.

What a stupid statement and a clear case of a fan that takes what the commentators say as gospal.

That stoppage was correct ive every sense, Taylors hands had dropped he even agreed with it.

Comment

He could have boxed on. Although it's true Taylor has absolutely no heart. It's also true that his hands dropped, but that doesn't mean he couldn't still slip punches with some head movement. Even if he couldn't, it would be entertaining to have seen Froch repeatedly smashing a defenceless/unconscious Taylor in the face. If they are standing, or lying prone on the ropes, then BOX ON. They should abolish the standing 8 count, and remove the ref's ability to stop the fight: only when a fighter is unable to stand for a full 10 seconds should the fight then be stopped.

Comment

Or maybe 20 seconds if they are an American fighter and clearly badly hurt. I'm thinking about this purely from an entertainment perspective. Imagine if Taylor had by knocked unconscious by Froch, but the ropes kept him up and The Cobra was able to land 5 or 6 unanswered blows. The Taylor corner could then invoke the "American in trouble" rule, and Taylor would have 20 seconds to slowly rise to his feet. Froch could then tear into a swaying, brain damaged Taylor with a show-stopping running hook to close the show. I know i'd pay to see that.

Comment

Well said Cerullo G.O.D

Not jumping on the 'Taylor was ahead on the score cards' bandwagon like the rest of these sheep.

And the ref really should have let Taylor take a few more shots.

Comment

and as a finishing touch, froch should have beaten taylor with the corner stool

Comment

Working...
            X