No announcement yet.

John Conteh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Conteh

Has anyone seen him fight , or any videos of him fight.
    Duke Mckensie was talkind earlier on ITV4 how about how good he was. I dont know much about him and was wondering what everyone though of him.

Originally posted by chrismart83 View Post
    Duke Mckensie was talkind earlier on ITV4 how about how good he was. I dont know much about him and was wondering what everyone though of him.
    My ex girlfriend dated his son.

Duke i think speaks a fair amount of **** at times. He said that Conteh in his opinion was the best british fighter! lol

Conteh had some great fights, but i dont own any.

Comment

Here's a link to his career fights......
      http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...8309&cat=boxer

I thought he was a very good but not great fighter. Him and Galindez were champs the same time and I remember a lot of boxing writers saying they thought he may have been able to outbox Galindez if they ever had a unified match up. They never did, so we'll never know. Galindez was one of my favorite fighters from the 1970's and I think him & Conteh would have been a terrific fight.

Comment

I remember Conteh very well, excellent fighter and was as famous for his looks as he was for his boxing.

He could fight, box and punch but I dont think he took the sport that seriously.

As a Liverpool lad I kind of looked up to him but he partied too hard and rumours about him on coke etc were banded about.

Comment

A true champ, boxed blokes far bigger than himself most of his career, he was fighting at a weight that was division above what he should have been, real killer instinct he would never let up, but sadly money got to him and he started to live the high life a bit, which most of us would do if we had that money.
          Now boxing has taken its toll on him he looks fine but his speech is slurred due to the affects of punches taken.
          True British hall of fame boxer, and apparently a real nice scouser.

Comment

Thanks for the replays fellas, Just watched a short clip on youtube were Conteh was disscussed, basically saying he was up there with the british greats and could have been 10 times better if not for his life outside the ring.

By the way MickyHatton , liking the look of your Torres bet in your sig. He's on 12 at the min. Should deffo hit 15.

Comment

I have only seen his 2 fights with Matthew Saad Muhammad, he looked good in the first one.

Comment

IIRC, Conteh suffered appalling racist abuse, which really got to him.

Good fighter.

Comment

Working...
                X