No announcement yet.

Thaxton nominated for European title, but wants Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thaxton nominated for European title, but wants Khan

Norfolk boxer Jon Thaxton has been named number one contender for the European lightweight title - but he says his eyes are still firmly fixed on bringing golden boy Amir Khan down to earth.

British champion Thaxton is already first in waiting for Khan's Commonwealth crown, and says he has put his management and promotions team on red alert for the Olympic silver medallist.

"I have said to my team that the next time I defend my British title it will be against the mandatory contender - and that's either Amir Khan or Graham Earl," said Thaxton.

"I see that fight as the semi-final if you like, with me already in the final, and it will prove who is the best fighter in Britain.

"I know Khan will beat Earl and I hope he does it in style so that (promoter) Frank Warren will then say it's time to test the water with me.

"Come on, I'm an old man - if he can't beat an old man like me where is he going?"

The war of words between Khan and Thaxton has been escalating in recent months, Thaxton accusing the youngster from Bolton of disrespect.

Thaxton even offered to spare Khan's promoters the cost of his purse if the two could get together in a winner-takes-all showdown.

And now with Khan facing Earl on his 21st birthday - December 8 - Thaxton is eager for a match-up in the new year.

"I want Amir Khan," said the 33-year-old Norwich man. "I think he has been a bit disrespectful. He is high-profile, probably the most high-profile fighter in the country - he's on TV and he has his Olympic medal behind him.

"He's young and ambitious, but he is shouting his mouth off and he has gone about this in the wrong way.

"I want this fight, he says he wants it, but I'm not sure if others want it."

There are clear risks for Khan should he go up against the big-hitting and ring-wise Thaxton - and the city man knows that what he wants and what he might get are two very different things in the world of boxing.

"It's all about me being patient and letting the powers that be work my corner and what is best for me," he said. "What I think should happen is not always what does happen, but I feel it could be a good 2008 for me.

"I've had a good year, I've defended my title twice and I want the chance to keep the Lonsdale belt forever.

"It was more than 11½ years ago that I fought Scrap Iron Ryan, I was British number one that long ago. I think that proves something."

The current European champion is Russian Yuri Romanov, who last month retained his title with a points victory over 41-year-old former world champion Stefano Zoff in Minsk, Belarus.

No wonder Thaxton dislikes him though.

Heres Thaxton arguebly one of the hardest, bravest and talented fighters in his division...and who gets all the credit? A young upstart whose had it all come so easy. The money aswell.. that must be a sting - I guarentee Khan is ****ing loaded in comparison to a man whose proberbly worked so much harder.

Thaxton should keep calling him out. Every 10 minutes. As much media coverage. Calling Khan all the names under sun until he agrees.

Mr and Mrs Joe public think Khan is number 1 on the planet, which he obviously isn't (its just what Warren wants the world to think). When they hear Thaxton is calling him out, Khan will have to go for it - otherwise it'll ruin the unbeatable image that he's got.

Warren should put his money where his mouth is, and let the fight happen.

Or.. i hope Earl bashes Khan.

Comment

Khan will not fight Thaxton, no matter what **** he comes out with

Comment

hope he dam well does i mean thaxton is one tough dude but i think khan can take him if he doesnt get stupid.

Comment

He might beat Thaxton, if he runs for 12, but if Thaxton gets one clean shot on Khans chin its over

Comment

Kahn is rubbish, Thaxton would beat him hands down. Also why didn't Kahn go for the British title before the Commonwealth title like everyone else? Because he would have come up against Thaxton who would beat him

Comment

Originally posted by sterling View Post
              hope he dam well does i mean thaxton is one tough dude but i think khan can take him if he doesnt get stupid.
              That is the most ugliest ****ing woman i've ever seen in your avatar.

Comment

good choice! romanov has already been beat by earl

Comment

khan needs to stay away from thaxton for now his speed will win him rounds. but the power and experience all lie with thaxton, plus hes a leftie and we dont know how amir will cope with that. For now i cant see past a thaxton win

Comment

but if he ducks Thaxton he will look like a fool saying he will be the best in the world and all the other bull**** he comes outwith

Comment

Working...
                    X