No announcement yet.

calzaghe best of british!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calzaghe best of british!

is calzaghe the best british fighter ever??? if not who is??? and dont say buchanan or cooper or old fighters who were never world champions!
    YES
    40.00%
    NO
    21.82%
    MAYBE
    12.73%
    IF HE BEATS HOPKINS AND ECOMES LIGHT HEAVY CHAMP
    25.45%

He definitely is lol

I also liked Nigel Benn a lot though.

Comment

I think he is followed by Lennox Lewis

Comment

10. Nigel Benn - Middleweight/super middleweight
        Ilford, Essex (1987-96; 42-5-1, 35KOs; WBO middleweight champion 1990, WBC super middleweight champion 1992-96)
        "The Dark Destroyer" was a relentless power-puncher who knocked out his first 21 opponents before Michael Watson flattened him in 1989. Benn won the WBO middleweight crown in 1990 but lost it to arch-rival Chris Eubank before ruling at 12 stone between 1992-96.

9. John Conteh - Light heavyweight
        Liverpool (1971-80; 34-4-1, 28KOs; WBC champion 1974-77)
        British boxing's pin-up boy in the 1970s, Conteh outpointed Jorge Ahamuda for the vacant WBC title in 1974 before defending three times. A hand injury forced him to vacate and he failed three times to regain it, twice against the gifted Matthew Saad Muhammad.

8. Ricky Hatton - Light-W/Welterweight
        Manchester (1997 -?; 43-0; 31KO's; WBA World Welterweight Champion,
        WBA/WBO Inter-Continental Light Welterweight Champion)
        Hatton agreed terms on Friday July 27, for a December 8, 2007 welterweight fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr, The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas was announced as the venue.

7. Lloyd Honeyghan - Welterweight
        London (1980-95; 43-5, 31KOs; undisputed champion 1986, WBC/IBF champion 1986-87, WBC champion 1988-89)
        In perhaps the biggest upset in British boxing history, "The Ragamuffin Man" shocked Don Curry to win the undisputed crown in 1986 and proved he was the real deal by defending three times, losing, then winning the title for a second time in 1988.

6. Howard Winstone - Featherweight
        Merthyr Tydfil (1959-68; 61-6, 27KOs; WBC champion 1968)
        If Winstone had not lost the tips of three fingers on his right hand as a teenager, he may have been the greatest featherweight ever. A stylish fighter, he lost three epics with Mexican great Vincente Saldivar before winning the world title from Mitsunori Seki in 1968.

5. Naseem Hamed - Featherweight
        Sheffield (1992-2002; 36-1, 31KOs; WBO champion 1995-2000, IBF champion 1997, WBC champion 1999)
        While some dwell on what could have been, others prefer to remember the excitement Hamed brought to British rings, his 16 world-title bouts and the fact he beat some of the best nine-stoners of his era before running into a prime Marco Antonio Barrera in 2001.

4. Barry McGuigan * - Featherweight
        Clones, Ireland (1981-89; 32-3, 28KOs; WBA champion 1985-86)
        A great pressure fighter, the "Clones Cyclone" won the WBA title from Eusebio Pedroza in 1985 and defended just twice before being mugged in the Las Vegas desert barely one year later. Tremendously popular, the only regret is his career could have been even greater.

3. Lennox Lewis - Heavyweight
        London (1989-2003; 41-2-1, 32KOs; WBC champion 1993-94, 1997, undisputed champion 1999-2003)
        Lewis was the finest heavyweight of his generation and, despite his Canadian twang, avowedly British. He won the WBC crown in 1993 and retired as undisputed champion 10 years later having beaten Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson and Vitali Klitschko and lost only twice.

2. Ken Buchanan - Lightweight
        Edinburgh (1965-82; 61-8, 27KOs; WBA champion 1970, undisputed champion 1971-72)
        Buchanan beat Ismael Laguna for the WBA lightweight title in 1970 and defended the title twice before losing to another Panamanian legend Roberto Duran in 1972. Buchanan also beat Carlos Hernandez, Carlos Ortiz and fellow Scot Jim Watt in a stellar career.

1. Joe Calzaghe - Super Middleweight
        Cwmbran, Wales (1993-?; 44-0, 32KO's; Undisputed WBO/WBA/WBC Champion Nov 2007.
        Next fight Bernard Hopkins ???

* McGuigan was actually born in Clones, the Republic of Ireland, but is a British citizen and a former British champion.

Comment

Thats a pretty definitive list you got there, you might have spent maybe a little too long thinking about it but hats off to you, cant fault a single thing you said. And in response to the original question, yes, Calzaghe is the best British boxer of all time.

Comment

He might be. In my opinion this is a bit too early to judge this, we should wait with this till he's retired. I still count Lennox Lewis as the best British boxer ever but Calzaghe is gettin really close. And yet there is Hatton who is doing really good. Joe is one of my fav fighters but I dont think he deserves this title... yet.

Comment

Maybe, I personally think Lewis is the best british fighter ever, but Calzaghe is a close second.

Comment

Yes he has to be good to have beaten Mikkel Kessler, but not as good as Anthony The Man Mundine. I take my hat of to him.

Comment

Originally posted by gunter View Post
                  Yes he has to be good to have beaten Mikkel Kessler, but not as good as Anthony The Man Mundine. I take my hat of to him.
                  You do realise that Mikkel Kessler dominated Mundine with a bad back, don't you?

It's a toss up between Calzaghe and Lewis at the moment, but if Calzaghe beats Hopkin it'll be Calzaghe for definite.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanus View Post
                    You do realise that Mikkel Kessler dominated Mundine with a bad back, don't you?

It's a toss up between Calzaghe and Lewis at the moment, but if Calzaghe beats Hopkin it'll be Calzaghe for definite.
                    I agree with this post.

Comment

Working...
                    X