Marciano training for Joe Louis.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano training for Joe Louis.

Some really cool footage here.

Amazing how small Marciano looks compared with todays steroids/fat heavyweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post

Some really cool footage here.

Nice!

Hardest workin' man in boxing. I don't care if he did only weigh around 185....he'd have given just about any heavyweight who lived a run for their money....IMHO.

Thanks Achiles.

Comment

It's no secret he's one of my favorites, both for his style and what he symbolized. Hard working working class guy who got ahead honestly. Rocky lived clean, and didn't talk **** about anyone. He saved his anger for the ring.

Ever hear the one about Marciano and the gay bar? One of Marciano's friend brought him to a gay bar and then proceeded to make fun of the guys there, expecting Marciano to get a kick out of. Instead, Marciano is really pissed and says something like "we're the ones who are out of place here", and then as one of the gay patrons at the bar shly approached Marciano with a napkin, he signed it and shook the man's hand and smiled. This is in the 1950's, when *******uality was considered a mental illness, in front of a bunch of tough guy friends.

Marciano didn't have to do that. He was a man of strong principles and morals.

Comment

It's no secret he's one of my favorites, both for his style and what he symbolized. Hard working working class guy who got ahead honestly. Rocky lived clean, and didn't talk **** about anyone. He saved his anger for the ring.

Ever hear the one about Marciano and the gay bar? One of Marciano's friend brought him to a gay bar and then proceeded to make fun of the guys there, expecting Marciano to get a kick out of. Instead, Marciano is really pissed and says something like "we're the ones who are out of place here", and then as one of the gay patrons at the bar shly approached Marciano with a napkin, he signed it and shook the man's hand and smiled. This is in the 1950's, when *******uality was considered a mental illness, in front of a bunch of tough guy friends.

Wow. That is seriously one of the coolest stories I've ever heard about Marciano. That's class. Thanks for sharing the story.

Comment

I like that one. Theres another with Marciano when he visited the Leper colony. He shook their hands and chatted with them and people thought he was insane, he said something along the lines of 'They're people too. If I'm going to catch something, I'm gonna catch it. If not, I won't.' Yet when he went to a restaurant he always wiped off the silverware with a napkin. He was a great guy.

Comment

Yeah the leper colony story is another great true story. I'm sorry but Marciano was just too nice of a guy and too great a fighter to have people **** on him in this forum or otherwise. That's why I respond so harshly to those that make disparaging comments about him.

Comment

Marciano definitely was a class act...even in the 50's when elbowing to the best of my knowledge was stilll allowed Marciano never threw an elbow purposely.....

Man after he put Carmine Vingo in the hospital, Rocky didn't train for his next fight, the whole time he was either in the hospital or in the Church praying...And because of this LaStarza almost beat him......

Marciano definitely was a class act..

Comment

wow, amazing story dat. I wonder if Marciano had a twin who represented him outside the ring? Seriously he was a gentleman outside the ring but a gladiator in it.

Comment

Rocky looks real thin, there. Must've been in great shape.

Comment

Working...
                    X